why am i so hungry already?

I am at work, had my breakfast ( alpen porridge ) two hours ago then walked 45 mins . im now sat at my desk absolutely STARVING. This is how i fell down yesterday as it got to about this time and the only thing to eat in the office was a bag of sweets so i had them, i believe this then lead me to buy a choc flapjack in the afternoon and choc walnuts!

I dont understand why i am so hungry at this time?

Replies

• katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Sometimes I want food and think I'm hungry but I'm not. I just want to munch. I can't see anything in your diary to judge but maybe you are just thinking about dieting and need some diversion?
    I drink lots of fizzy water and drink fruit teas to keep me away from mindless grazing.

I hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    I find eating some protein with breakfast, usually an egg, helps keep me full. I often don't eat anything between breakfast andlunch, or only a peice of fruit
  • I GET LIKE THAT! If I have a cold breakfast then walk to work I feel like my stomach is empty and I'm starving by 10 or 11! I work at a desk where there are charity sweets on sale all the time so if I feel like that I end up buying them too. If I have a hot breakfast then I feel full until about 12 and I don't really want the sweets. For the same calories (ish) and my cold breakfast of semi skimmed milk and cereal I have a hot breakfast of either a) 2 fried egg whites on weight watchers toast (which is only 50 cals a slice) b) half a can of weight watchers beans on 1/2 pieces of weight watchers toast c) or a sausage sandwich with 2 quorn sausages (70 cal each) and weight watchers bread. Try having hot breakfasts and see if that helps! xxx
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Protein has been my saviour when it comes to cravings. And bloating at TOM, and possibly even cramp pain but that might be in my head ;)

Get some good lean protein in to your diet every day and drink lots of water, you should notice a difference. :flowerforyou:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,867 Member
    Protein and fibre at every meal helps me. Try adding a boiled and egg and an apple to your breakfast.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Have your breakfast later? Can you take your porridge to work in a container?
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Protein and fibre at every meal helps me. Try adding a boiled and egg and an apple to your breakfast.

^^^ this.

Apple slices dipped in peanut butter is a great after workout snack I've found, but it can be eaten any time of day if you need a sweet fix.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Is it a small portion? I eat the quaker oats 1/2 cup (dry serving), cook with water, dump a cup of frozen bluberries (stir in til thawed) and then have a couple eggs.

So eating oats with fiber and protein keeps me full for a few hrs for around 300 cals.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member

My guess would be that you're probably not eating enough.

Your diary is set at 1200 and you apparently don't log your food.

My advice would be to start logging your food.

Until then all we can do is guess.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    You are hungry because you ate, then exercise, your body is burning and looking for fuel? That's what it sounds like to me - so eat. Take some healthy snacks to work and then you won't succumb to sweets. Try raw celery & a teaspoon of peanut butter as a dip - yum!

I agree about the protein for breakfast - good yoghurt, eggs, helped me to lose my weight. Good on you for the 45 mins workout BTW! :flowerforyou:
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Definitely need more food. Either more breakfast to fuel your workout, or a post workout snack that includes a small amount of carbs + protein.
  • jackdaniels1234123
    jackdaniels1234123 Posts: 89 Member
    Sometimes i will have a two egg omlette instead of my porridge for breakfast but i still find that i am hungry a couple of hours
    later. In answer to your questions, i could eat my porridge when i get to the office but then i would be starving on my 45 min walk (& also i like to eat my breakie in peace!!) The porridge i use at the mo is the sachet ones where you just add skimmed milk.

I must go back to logging my food, i am a terrible binge eater and sometimes i eat so much i cant be bothered to log as it would take ages! (yes ive put on a lot of weight through my binges!)
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    I have to ditto the comments about eating more protein.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Be prepared and take some healthy snacks to work with you. I am always hungriest in the morning and I like to eat smaller meals throughout the day to keep my blood sugar level. As others have said have protein with every meal to keep you fuller longer.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Eat some more protein, it'll keep you fuller for longer.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Sitting at a desk does makes people hungry.
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Oats make me feel like that cooked or raw like muesli so I don't eat them anymore. I'm full for an hour or two then I get unnaturally hungry.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member

My guess would be that you're probably not eating enough.

Your diary is set at 1200 and you apparently don't log your food.

My advice would be to start logging your food.

Until then all we can do is guess.

Mmmm hmmm, and if you are eating just 1200 cals per day, I am not surprised you are hungry.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Take healthy snacks to work so you don't eat the sweets. Also you are eating too little and therefore setting yourself up for a binge.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Walking burns calories. Depending on how much you ate with your porridge it's likely you walked your breakfast off. Body says "Ok, that's gone now. Want more."