GOING TO BE FORCED TO EAT OUT FOR 3 DAYS!!

Options
Hi guys.........Im sort of in a dillemma.....Im in going to be going to sea world and staying at a hotel in San Diego for three day and I'm a little nervous because everything I eat is going to be out! I know for sure there wont be anything okay for me to eat at sea world!! Anyone have any advice??

Replies

• wolverinefactor
    Options
    salads, fish or even chicken are all good for you. Just avoid burgers and heavy carb items. You'd be surprised by healthy choices at most places.
  • brwneyes71
    brwneyes71 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Whenever i eat out i always put my choice into my iphone app of myfitnesspal to check the calories first before i oder. Maybe before you leave your hotel you can chose where you are going to eat for the day and put in what you would like to eat ahead of time and already know your calories for the day. good luck on your trip.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Most parks now have healthy alternatives but they are very expensive. Bring apples, string cheese, and a few 100 calorie packs with you. I don't think they will let you bring water but bet you could bring some healthy snacks. Remember you are not on a diet but a life-long mission. Eat as healthy as you can - most restaurants have choices or you can alter (dressing on the side, no bun, etc). Good luck - I am in LA and it should be beautiful in San Diego this weekend. Happy 4th!
  • trejon
    trejon Posts: 203
    Options
    1. Take your own snacks.
    2. Take small packs of oatmeal.
    3. If you like to drink place Crystal Lights in your bag.

If you are active you should be able to burn off calories. Make good choices and limit the bad ones. I always give myself a three bite rule on vacation. Unless you lose you might and lay naked on the buffet it is hard to gain 10 pounds in three days.
  • Sara1478
    Sara1478 Posts: 21
    Options
    Most restaurants now carry some sort of salad. Just be sure to ask for dressing on the side. Dip your fork in the dressing, instead of the veggies on the fork or pouring dressing on the salad, before taking a bite. Try that for at least one out of the three meals of the day.

You can also ask for a nutrition menu. Before you leave, try looking up the nutrition facts on the internet of the restaurants you plan on going to if you already have it planned.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Rocky Point has shrimp cocktail and chef salad; most of the eateries have fresh fruit. There's a healthy alternatives place there too. Don't know your budget, but an adult dining band for the whole day runs around $33. i would take my large purse/bag and have my own snacks inside and supplement.
  • starlitkate
    starlitkate Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I ate out today and the menu had no salads but I had a chicken burger with sweet potatoe fries and a half bowl of icecream instead of the whole bowl of icecream. It's ok to eat out. It's all about the choices you make and setting a limit. If you are stuck like I was then choose things like chicken, fish instead of cheeseburgers or fries. If no sweet potatoe fries then a good serving of fruit will be good. Like when I go out-I don't even leave that option of only choosing cheeseburgers. Like today I asked if they had anything other than fries and onion rings. Glad I asked and I didn't even eat them all. If they didn't have the SP fries then I would have went without the fries and made it up with fruit there or when I got home. I also drank water with my meal. It's the lil choices that count. :) Have fun!
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    and remember your gonna be walking, walking, walking. You should take a pedometer just to see how much! :happy:
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Honestly, even a burger is ok if you don't go crazy with the size and sides. Its the fries that kill ya. Often when my wife and I are traveling we will stop at Chic fil a and each get a 12 piece nugget and split an order of fries. The fat content is high but the calories are reasonable and it is filling. I think the nuggets are 400 calories and a ton of protein and half a container of wafflle fries is 185 calories. 585 calories with the increased exercise that you get by walking around the park should be fine. A reasonable burger or a big hot dog and a reasonable amount of fries will get you to the same place.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Caution with Sweet potato fries - not always healthier. I love them too but the baked types at home are a bit better. Restaurants do fry them in hot oil. Usually around 700 calories per serving. Which is fine - as long as you know it and are ready for the exercise.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Anytime I travel I ask for a fridge (if one is not in the room already) and we buy little cartons of milk, healthy cereal, and fruit for breakfasts. For lunch we often find a grocery store and buy a bagged salad and some of the roast chicken or turkey from the deli, or my husbands favorite "lunch on the go" . . . a very soft bun from the bakery, sliced havarti cheese and the roast poultry from the deli. We have learned to bring a few plastic bowls, sm plates, spoons, seraded knives, and cups with us no matter where we go. They are now a staple in my luggage (just make sure that plastic knife is not in your carry-on, ha ha).

This only leaves dinner, and as most have suggested you can always find healthy options or ask for substitutions.

I've had to travel a fair bit in the last year, and have found this is an easy way to stay on track, and it is actually much cheaper than eating in a restaurant for every meal.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Figure in a 10 hour park trip you will spend 1/3 of the time walking. At a 2.5 mph pace, which is very slow, at your weight (and mine) you will be burning about 250 calories per hour. You are looking at about 800 calories burned during the day. Enjoy yourself and worry less!

If you are really worried about it, park off in the boonies and add some faster walking!
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would go online, map it were the reastraunts show up in the area. At seaworld, bring your own snacks in your purse and go for chicken or seafood, leave the sauces off. If they have salads choose that No dressing, maybe some lemon if they have it and a plain burger if you got to go that route. Bring some fruit, great to chew on while walking.
  • vbanuelos88
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have been living in a hotel for 2 weeks and have 2 more weeks to go (extensive house repairs).
    I am averaging going over my calories by about 300 extra calories a day. I am logging everything though.
    I maintained last week and I think I may gain 1 or 2 lbs. this week (it was my birthday).

Make the best choices that you can... it's only 3 days.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating at the park or a local restaurant, try finding a Subway. It's a life-saver for me. Also, Taco Mayo has some good Salsalito burritos that are around 300 cal. Sometimes fast food is easier than restaurant food, unless it is a big chain restaurant, because at least you can get nutrition information online. Red Lobster is a good choice for chain restaurant, you can get a really good meal for minimal calories.

Also, pack your own snacks,etc.