Sleeping in on the weekends gone forever?

Options
I woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed this AM. This saturday morning that I told myself last night as I turned off my alarm clock I would be sleeping in to. Now before I started my journey I had no issues sleeping 10-12 hrs a night but since I have been going to bed at 10:45 pm and waking up at 6:45 am I noticed the past day or so that I dont need my alarm. I am assuming that this is a great sign my body has fully rested and I am ready to do it all over again. Just curious to know what others have experienced and if they sometimes force theirselves to go back to sleep. Also what about napping? Curious to see who thinks napping is okay and if it is a sign everything may or may not be on track.

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I got up at 7 AM today (Saturday), and I usually set the alarm for 6:30. In my case it's Murphy's Law. I'm sleeping soundly when the alarm goes off during the week, and on Saturday and Sunday I wake up naturally between 6:60 and 7 most of the time. Very annoying.

Sometimes I'll take a nap on the weekend- I usually have time to stop moving and get out my knitting or a good book, or join DH in front of the TV in our matching La-Z-Boys. If I need a nap, that will bring it on. DH doesn't like taking naps during the day- he says he wakes up feeling groggy and it takes him a long time to feel normal, but 30 minutes of sleep can be really good for me.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have a love hate relationship with sleep. Obviously it feels great but I feel I'd be missing out on something if I slept in so I don't really sleep in anymore. I do take naps because my baby keeps me up some nights but before her I hardly ever napped for the same reason. Plus when I do nap it turns into 2-3 hours which is too long.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think it does stand to reason that when we excercise we increase our energy levels overall and need require a little less sleep, but our sleep is a better quality. But I can't really speak to this personally because I don't have the opportunity to sleep in anyway. I gained the weight due to pregnancy, my daughter is 3 now but I use the hour between 6-7 on weekends to do a bunch of chores before she wakes up. I use her nap time for chores too.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Our dog does not understand weekends or sleeping in.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    Yeah, before I started this I was having trouble waking up with the alarm clock. Now, I wake up before the alarm goes off no problem and I can't sleep later than 6:30, even on my days off.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a baby...what is this "sleep" you speak of?
    The little guy wakes up as soon as my husband leaves for work every morning...and he goes to work at different times. It's like he knows that he only wants to play with mommy.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking this! I can't sleep in on the weekends anymore - between 6-8 AM my body says "Nope, no more of that sleep stuff. Time to get up."
  • katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My alarm clock has a wet nose and a loud purr/meow function, and does not understand weekends. :grumble: :yawn:

The 'real' alarm goes off at 6 on weekdays and it very rarely wakes me up, even if the furry alarm has behaved himself. At weekends, I am awake at the normal time, alarm or no alarm. I'm just conditioned that way now after years of waking at the same time.

I think I sleep better if I've been exercising, but I don't think I sleep less because of it.

However, since starting on medication to treat my SLE, I definitely feel less need to sleep in the day. If I'm feeling bad I can stay in bed all day, but the meds definitely make a massive difference.
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids. Sleeping in on the weekends is sleeping till 7am and that's only cause they are getting older (my youngest is 3).
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Getting enough sleep is very important for you, whether it's in one big lump or in naps.

I do shift work, so I sleep at strange times of the day. My ticker will explain if this has had a negative impact on my weight loss.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have those wet nosed purring alarms, but they have the opposite effect. They get fed at night, so in the morning they pile on me in the bed, curl up, and steal my energy. I used to get up early, but I haven't adjusted to the time change yet. I'm a night owl and am staying up way too late.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    My father once told me that 'I would have enough time to lay around in the dark with my eyes closed once I was dead'........get up and enjoy the day!!!!!:wink: