When did you start to like what you saw in the mirror

Options
Hiyah all

I am suffering from lack of patience and it was made worst by going into changing rooms at a store yesterday. I had to finally get new bras as the old ones were just riding up and giving me back ache. All those mirrors in different angles i just didnt like what I saw. I am just thinking I am making effort have lost weight surely I should like what i see now. Its really silly that when i was heavier I just didnt even think about it. This journey has made me start looking at myself more in the mirror.

The only thing that made me feel better when I got home was one of my regular skirts went all the way round my waist, so what I am doing is definately worth it.

(sorry if post sounds ungrateful) I guess I just need some more encouragement to know that their is light at the end of the tunnel, and one day when i finally look in the mirror I will be happy.

When was that time for you guys?

Replies

• 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You have lost 32 lbs and that is just amazing, awesome and inspiring. Those dressing rooms are awful. There is something about the light I think, they always make me look worse than any other mirror. So discount what you saw and try to enjoy the lose skirts and the fact that you needed new bras.

For me, I began to see the difference as soon as started to do some resistance/weight training. Flatter belly, smaller hips, more definition in the arms at around 10 lbs. After 15 pounds, I stared to see it in my own face when I was having video calls on skype. I also try to reinforce myself consciously and proactively and look for the positive changes and complement myself. All part of the the be kind to yourself philosophy.

Good luck. Keep going. you are obviously doing the right thing
  • Shrynkabelle
    Shrynkabelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Since I'm only 3 weeks and 4lbs into my journey, I definitely don't like what I see in the mirror and know that it's going to be a long time before I do, because I've got a while to go. I had to go out and buy size 18 gym pants this week and I think I probably won't like the mirror until I'm in size 12, haha.

BUT whilst I hate my size, I use it as motivation for continuing to go to the gym and log my food - I feel the fat jiggling when I'm on the treadmill and with every step I say "I'm getting smaller" and this makes me feel better, because at least I'm doing something about it.

You've lost 32lbs - wow - and you're seeing RESULTS! Remember that it probably took a long time for that excess weight to go on, and so it will take a while to come off, but consistency is the key to success - just keep on doing what you're doing because it's working. I'm guessing that you weren't looking at your reflection hardly at all when you were bigger but it's now an important tool to spur you on :)

Congratulations!!! You can do it!
  • Shrynkabelle
    Shrynkabelle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've just noticed that your ticker says 32lbs To Go, so you're practically at the half way point, aren't you?

Here's something which might spur you on: have you ever heard of the 'kitchen roll' theory? When you have a brand new kitchen roll, and you take off one sheet, it hardly shows. Now imagine that each sheet of kitchen roll is equal to one pound and that the cardboard tube in the centre is your goal weight. As you start to get closer to the goal, each sheet wraps around more and therefore shows more. This is exactly what happens as you lose weight - the closer you get, the more each lb will show, so I'm thinking that you are really going to start noticing bigger changes soon.

Hugs
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options

Here's something which might spur you on: have you ever heard of the 'kitchen roll' theory? When you have a brand new kitchen roll, and you take off one sheet, it hardly shows. Now imagine that each sheet of kitchen roll is equal to one pound and that the cardboard tube in the centre is your goal weight. As you start to get closer to the goal, each sheet wraps around more and therefore shows more. This is exactly what happens as you lose weight - the closer you get, the more each lb will show, so I'm thinking that you are really going to start noticing bigger changes soon.

I love that theory :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I've just noticed that your ticker says 32lbs To Go, so you're practically at the half way point, aren't you?

Hugs

i love that theory too. thank you
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    thank you. you are right look for more postives to keep me going. i think thinking about what i have left to lose puts me off abit.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27kg/60lbs and I'm still obese. Plus I have horrible loose skin from going full-term with a twin pregnancy. But - I quite like what I see in the mirror. I was trying on jeans today and got into a size 3 sizes smaller than where I started. So that's an achievement! There are always going to be parts of ourselves that we can nit-pick and be unhappy about, but celebrate how successful you've been so far!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well. I have lost 60 pounds and when I look in the mirror I can not tell. I still have alot to lose (140) but know there is a difference because my clothes are loose. Keep up the good work.
  • bluestool
    bluestool Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! Dressing room mirrors are like fun house mirrors--pay them no heed.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Shortly before I hit my halfway point, I could start to see a difference in my face. That's when I really started feeling good about my progress. My c-section-scarred belly is still a frightening sight, but my legs, arms and face are starting to look great!
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I think I look amazing right now.

I STILL don't think I look amazing in dressing rooms, though. At our age? No, ma'am. I dress with my eyes down then leave the room to look at myself in the mirror in the store.
  • mdorsett221
    mdorsett221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Hugs

I've never heard this before. I love it! I also suffer from a lack of patience. This is a wonderful way of looking at it.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 pounds down, 47 to go, and I feel worse about my appearance now that before I changed my habits. Yeah, it feels great to fit into a smaller size (I just got some shorts I ordered in a size 14 and they actually fit; I was in an 18W in November). But things are all loosey-goosey under the clothes. I've been doing some weight training with my cardio - just hoping it will kick in a little more. And I'm trying to remember to use lotion and keep hydrated so my skin will tighten up a little on its own.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I also feel the way you do! I notice every roll and see how flabby I am, more than I ever have. It's kind of depressing! But it makes sense, because I know that before I started mfp I didn't know how to change how I looked and I never really looked in the mirror critically at my body. I know that sounds vain, but I just think it has to do with being more aware of your body now. Try to focus on the small victories, and don't let it get to you, you are on the right road, and headed in the right direction, and that is the most important thing!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the mirror is not my friend. But I've been happily surprised by my photos lately...I have issues :) But we are so much more than bodies and cheesy as it sounds I'm working on "loving myself as I am" and I think you should too. :heart:
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    thank you. you are right look for more postives to keep me going. i think thinking about what i have left to lose puts me off abit.

But think what you've already lost!! It's fantastic. Don't concentrate on how far you've got to go, just how far you've come.

Keep it up :)