Resting heart rate

Options
angbieb
angbieb Posts: 692 Member
I've been researching a lot about max heart rate and what you should be shooting for during your workout...also the Karvonen formula...etc. So I figured out my numbers yesterday with a resting heart rate of 81 at 11 AM and the trainer that was helping me with this said I should take my RHR in the morning instead because its elevated later in the day. So I took it...I knew it would be high because my heart felt like it was going to beat right out of my chest and it was 117..should I be concerned?
Any advice? Thanks!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• McSpike
    McSpike Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    To get a true resting heart rate, you need to wear your hrm strap to bed for a few days, and record the lowest readings each morning. It is important that you wake up by yourself, not with an alarm clock, and that you measure your heart rate before you start moving around. Once you have a few days of data, average them, and you should be close.

117 sounds like you were moving around, woke to a sudden sound, or something. You actual resting heart rate should probably be in the 60's or so, depending on your fitness level.

To get your max heart rate, you need to do a stress test. I'm sure you've realized that mhr is genetic and age based. You can't make it higher through fitness, it is what it is, and will only go down over time.
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Great advice! I need to get an HRM...first mine broke and I figured I needed to replace the battery and now it mysteriously disappeared!:frown:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Are you taking it as soon as you wake up?
  • leanme28
    leanme28 Posts: 53
    Options
    At the moment my RHR in the morning is between 58 and 62. When I used to ran long distances training for the marathon I had it as low as 52. I don't have a HRM anymore but I'm using Instant Heart Rate app for Iphone and it works pretty well.