Want to be athletic!

Options
Hi Everyone,

My name is Sara Steelman. I am 26 years old and have been working on my mission to be athletic since January. It is so exciting to see how my body is changing in just this short amount of time! I hope this program will help me stick to my goals! I enjoy archery, hiking, biking, running, and yoga. I am such a competitive person, but I just buried that person under junk food and laziness!

I look forward to getting in shape so that I can do all the things the person on the inside loves to do. I want to get in touch with my inner warrior!

Right now, I am working out 6 days a week and varying my workout routines: running, spinning, yoga, strength training, etc. I can't wait to get to know more people with similar goals! :wink:

Sara Steelman

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Your name sounds familiar...

But anyway, my current goal is stamina & muscular improvement, weight loss is secondary. I work out at least 5 times a week, which include swimming, HIIT cardio, weight lifting, and yoga.

Welcome :)
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp, Sara! I love your mindset, it's very similar to my own! friend request sent. :flowerforyou:
  • sineadlpb
    sineadlpb Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara!

I had a look at your profile - amazing progress so far, well done! We have very similar goals, I'm also striving for an athletic figure with a 130lbs goal weight. I enjoy running and cycling and am training for my first marathon this October.

Welcome to mfp! Sent you a friend request - I love having friends with similar interests :flowerforyou:

Sinead
  • SimplySara1986
    Options
    Sinead and Mrs T.,

It really is nice to relate with people who have similar goals! Thanks for adding me, I look forward to learning from your fitness experiences! :smile:
    Sinead, that is amazing that you are training for a marathon! I hope to one day be at that point as well, but 5k is the most I've done so far. I think I am going to try a 10k soon though!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Hello Sara Steelman, you seem very chipper. :smile:
  • SimplySara1986
    Options
    Hexahedra,
    I am also trying to improve stamina and muscle tone, but I started this whole thing with weight loss in mind (I had a lot of extra weight lol). I saw that you do yoga, that is one of my favorite things. It has done wonders for my insomnia and I am becoming so flexible! I love it!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Me too. I was an athlete all my life, until I was injured and needed surgery. Still fighting injuries and pain, but trying my hardest to get back in the shape I once was :)
  • SimplySara1986
    Options
    Whierd,
    Yup, I am a very positive, happy person! It takes a lot to get me down! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • whierd
    Options
    I really like that quality. I find it to be contagious! Glad to see you join the website!
  • SimplySara1986
    Options
    Laybabe,
    I am sorry to hear about your injuries! I wish I could say mine was due to injury, but in reality it was the college life and laziness that made me out of shape. I hope that your injury improves, have you tried Yoga? It is amazing for the body! I have heard of people with Fibromyalgia coping with pain through yoga so, maybe it would help your pain too?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It's nice to meet you!
  • SimplySara1986
    Options
    Whierd,
    Thanks :blushing: I really like it on here so far. Its nice to find a community of people that have the same goals! It is hard sometimes to talk to my friends who don't need to lose weight or who don't care about fitness.
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Laybabe,
    I am sorry to hear about your injuries! I wish I could say mine was due to injury, but in reality it was the college life and laziness that made me out of shape. I hope that your injury improves, have you tried Yoga? It is amazing for the body! I have heard of people with Fibromyalgia coping with pain through yoga so, maybe it would help your pain too?

I don't do it regularly, but I have in the past, especially when my injury flares up. I have an SI joint issues that causes a lot of pain when it flares up and messes with my sciatic nerve and have noticed when I do yoga it basically goes away. I want to start doing yoga more but I don't really have the patience; although I'm sure it would help with that, too haha. I'm more of a rough and tumble sweat till you die kind of work out person. :laugh:
  • whierd
    Options
    You will find it completely different here. Just make sure to have thick skin, a good sense of humor, and don't get discouraged if you have a nutritional belief challenged by others. :flowerforyou:
  • SimplySara1986
    Options
    Laybabe,
    I totally know what you mean! What helped me is that my gym offers yoga classes and the instructor is just amazing! She really makes like a whole mind, body experience and I find myself looking forward to it; especially after an intense spin class! lol I should be a spokesperson for yoga haha but it really does wonders for me. I have insomnia and now, I can sleep just fine since doing yoga. Also, I had plantar fasciitis and that's gone! But I used to think the same as you. I guess the instructor is really what makes it or breaks it :)
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    I haven't done any in-class yoga stuff; just DVDs...but this conversation is making me want to use at least one day a week for yoga. I've been suffering a bad case of insomnia for a month and a half; which is frustrating because i'm usually a really really really good sleeper. Maybe yoga will help!
  • SimplySara1986
    Options
    whierd,
    Thanks for the advice! :) I kind of ran into that with livestrong and that's why I switched. Not that anyone really offended me personally, but people got downright rude with other people and I don't like that. Hopefully there's more constructive advice on here rather than just rude comments. So far, everyone I talked to is really nice. :smile:
  • SimplySara1986
    Options
    Laybabe,
    I think it will totally help you :) I usually do an intense workout and then yoga because I feel like I deserve relaxing, calm exercise after I work my butt off :laugh:
  • whierd
    Options
    whierd,
    Thanks for the advice! :) I kind of ran into that with livestrong and that's why I switched. Not that anyone really offended me personally, but people got downright rude with other people and I don't like that. Hopefully there's more constructive advice on here rather than just rude comments. So far, everyone I talked to is really nice. :smile:

Well rude can be a matter of perspective, lol. Just do not mistake blunt honesty for rudeness. :tongue:
  • lwagnitz
    Options
    Lol I always stretch really really good (for like 20 minutes) after I work out. I'm trying to get my splits back. It practically puts me to sleep. :P I love it.