Fat Legs, Bum and hips....help!

Options
13»

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I always hate seeing this picture. I get the point, but I have read that this was a marine that was injured and just able to start working out his legs again. Don't know if it's true, but it bothers me.

Crap really - I hope that's not true. :ohwell:

I don't know if it is, but someone else pointed it out on the boards. Still gets me everytime.

That picture wont happen to you, i guarantee it. Injured Marine possibility aside. First of all, hes probably not eating at a calorie deficit like most of us. hes probably eating at a surplus and all the things he needs to do to build muscle. i hate when people post this picture for women, too, because its nearly impossible for women to bulk up AT ALL at a deficit.

I was joking - I was replying to the poster who said to avoid doing resistance work on the areas you were worried about. Sheesh. :noway:

I was just saying that you should do a full body workout, not just upper.

(That's why I said it was an extreme example.)
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Tracy Anderson has some exercises that I like for toning. I took her book out of the library...didn't buy it. Her cardio makes me laugh, but her floor exercises are great for hips, butt, and abs. You really have to focus to do them correctly. Anyway, I also like my Nike training app. Lots of boot camp exercises - they time you and show you how to do each one. Great for firming up and cardio - wood chops, burpees, planks, ice skaters, etc.

Also, body pump has helped me firm up. I have noticed a difference in my arms, which is fantastic because that's my problem area and they seem to never change.

A good combo of cardio and weights will help you burn fat and tone up. While you can "spot reduce," you can build muscle up in problem areas and lose fat in general.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    This is me to a T! Even though you can't spot reduce; I have found Step aerobics works best for me. It tones up my legs, butt, and thighs quicker than any exercise I have done. I used to take classes, then dvds; now I make up my own routines. I have been doing Step since 1992; so I pretty much have some good routines stored in my mind!
  • Melanya7
    Melanya7 Posts: 24
    Options
    My unexpected fix was childbirth. Yea, I know. You'd think I'd be wider? Somehow, someway 8 months postpartum my butt and thighs are smaller than they have been for years. oddly, I am carrying around an extra 6 lbs but I wear the same pant size. The weight redistributed differently. i am not as small on top. i think I am more even, but I sorta of miss the big booty though. The only things different: having a baby, less alcohol, no fast food or junk, consistent work outs.
  • jennerlnz
    jennerlnz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I've lost about five inches off my waist, but only 1.5 off my hips and absolutely zero off my thighs. *sigh* I have a full library of Jillian Michaels work-out DVDs - I'd go for Ripped in 30 (more bang for your buck than 30DS, as it has four work-outs) and Killer Buns and Thighs. Short and to the point!

Also, I'm finding it helps to work that upper body equally well. The new definition in my shoulders and arms really helps create more of a balance, so I'm looking more "hourglass" than "pear" - which I don't mind at all! Would help if my boobs would stop shrinking, but what can you do....
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Tone it up, I started jullian michaels killer buns and thighs a week ago and she will literally kick your *kitten*! I've already noticed a difference and its only a 30 min workout. Try it!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Walking up hills gets me slimmer in these areas. Don't forget to stand tall and control those tummy muscles! (from Omaha, and we DO have some hills here). I try to add hill work into my day two or three days a week.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Ignore what I suggested at your peril. You have a particular body type and the notion that squats and lunges are going to melt the fat off your lower body is not accurate. You may well end up looking bigger if you do heavy weight work, especially without losing every bit of fat you can. And it will be hard to lose a lot of fat if that's your basic shape.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I've lost about five inches off my waist, but only 1.5 off my hips and absolutely zero off my thighs. *sigh* I have a full library of Jillian Michaels work-out DVDs - I'd go for Ripped in 30 (more bang for your buck than 30DS, as it has four work-outs) and Killer Buns and Thighs. Short and to the point!

Also, I'm finding it helps to work that upper body equally well. The new definition in my shoulders and arms really helps create more of a balance, so I'm looking more "hourglass" than "pear" - which I don't mind at all! Would help if my boobs would stop shrinking, but what can you do....

It's standard advice for women who are pear-shaped to use weights on their upper body to create a more balance silhouette. That's because weights make you look bigger. Consequently, women who are prone to carry fat in their lower bodies are advised not to use weights on their lower bodies if they are concerned about an increase in size.

There are people on this forum who act as if weight work has different effects based on the part of the body to which it's applied. It doesn't work that way.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Ignore what I suggested at your peril. You have a particular body type and the notion that squats and lunges are going to melt the fat off your lower body is not accurate. You may well end up looking bigger if you do heavy weight work, especially without losing every bit of fat you can. And it will be hard to lose a lot of fat if that's your basic shape.

so very very wrong, as always.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

It's standard advice for women who are pear-shaped to use weights on their upper body to create a more balance silhouette. That's because weights make you look bigger. Consequently, women who are prone to carry fat in their lower bodies are advised not to use weights on their lower bodies if they are concerned about an increase in size.

There are people on this forum who act as if weight work has different effects based on the part of the body to which it's applied. It doesn't work that way.

You have no idea what weights do to your body as you have never lifted. You have body issues and should get help - not give out bad advice. Only you advise pear shaped women to not use weights on their lower body, only you.

Please please please stop talking about stuff that you know nothing about.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

You have no idea what weights do to your body as you have never lifted. You have body issues and should get help - not give out bad advice. Only you advise pear shaped women to not use weights on their lower body, only you.

^ like
  • mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    Although I have a healthy bmi, I carry all my weight in my legs, bum and hips. I want any tips for things I can do to lose from these areas like the best foods to eat/avoid and the best exercises to do to that will not take hours everyday as I do not have enough time to commit!
    Thanks in advance for any help x

Your legs look great to me :smile: but like everyone says, Id suggest squats and cardio if your not happy
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Anyone got any exercises other than cycling, squats, jogging, sit ups?
    As im currently unable to do any upper body exercises due to a trapped nerve in my shoulder
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    drop_it_like_a_squat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the answers & I'm sure there's someone who's recommended the same, but what really helped/helps me is weight lifting. I'm carrying all my weight in my legs & bum, too, and nothing really seemed to help ever. Started lifting a few months ago & I can already see a difference. I only weighed myself & didn't take measurements unfortunately, so I can't tell you how much inches I lost, but I lost weight & my lower body defenetely looks more toned & slimmer.
    I do squats, lunges, deadlifts and work my adductors/abductors with a cuff on the cable tower. If you don't have access to a gym you can do a lot of body weight exercised.
    Try some HIIT to boost your metabolism and the fat burning process.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    As im currently unable to do any upper body exercises due to a trapped nerve in my shoulder

Standing donkey kicks. Can you lie down? If yes, try bridges.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options

I must be some kind of weird then, 'cause I'm pear shaped & weights do wonders with my lower body. :)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Seriously--just stop.

OP, I have a big booty and legs. Always have, always will. Lifting heavy weights (I'm talking about a full body compound lifting program) does nothing but make my legs and butt curvier, and HOTTER, no joke! Doing bodyweight squats and cardio would not have the same effect, at all.

Diet is important--you need to lose fat, period. Eat at a moderate caloric deficit and make sure you're getting enough protein. Don't do some crazy fad diet. Just eat sensibly, do your workouts, be consistent and patient and it will all pay off.

If you're looking for a way to do some strength training at home, You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren is great, and was suggested by someone earlier in the thread. It's a book and there is an app for your phone which I hear is also fantastic. Those workouts with some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) should be great.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Standing donkey kicks. Can you lie down? If yes, try bridges.

I can lie down, just cant lift anything ;) its a bloody nuisance as ive only just rediscovered the willpower to get back on the health train after a few months of making excuses
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I probably should stay out of this...but I think that this is turning into more of an argument than it needs to. And it seems like everybody is saying the same thing...you can't spot reduce, lift weights, etcetera.

I agree with these folks, and while I'm quite new to fitness, from what I've read, this is what makes sense.

Here's what I'll add however. Try to love your body shape because ultimately everybody has their own unique one. No matter how much weight you lose (other than in extreme unheatlhy measures), you're still going to be shaped like YOU. And thank God for that. How else would you be unique? There's a thread around here somewhere with a bunch of women posting pics of themselves loving their curves.

Also, as a side note, there's a biological reason women are shaped this way. It sends a message of fertility and attractiveness to men. I'm not saying ALL men are into big butts and thighs...but it is plays a natural role in attraction in the same way that broad shoulders on men do for women.

LOVE YOURSELF...LOVE YOUR SHAPE...and try to reduce the fat where you can. :-)