Should I deduct cals for being alive from my exercise?

Options
jennibee70
jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
Right, I'm running low on calories today so I strapped on my heart rate monitor and washed my windows. Boom, 239 calories! But, my MFP allowance at sedentary includes calories for basically just staying alive for that 49 minutes. So really, when I exercise, should I be deducting the calories I would have burned lying on the sofa?

Replies

• be_runner
    be_runner Posts: 20
    Options
    If you want to eat them back I would most definitely deduct the calories for living.
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    how about housework, not sure about heavy or light.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    lol i have had this conversation in my mind many times. Dont have an answer though.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    We all know the answer but want to pretend we don't know.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    No, don't deduct them. The bottom line is you need a calorie deficit at the end of the day, regardless of whether you are active or sedentary. Calories eaten - calories burned (no matter what the activity or lack of) = NET ... If your NET number is negative you have a deficit. When that deficit adds up over time to -3500, you've lost a pound. If it's positive and adds up to 3500, you've gained a pound. It's as simple as that!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    if you are eating all of it back then I def think you should deduct your BMR calories

This was my downfall when I used my HRM I would leave it on for way to long and end up deducting the additional 2-3 hours of BMR calories, which can definitely add up over several weeks

good call!