Newbie jogger - need help

Options
I am doing the Couch to 5K program and I am in week 4 (5th week though, had to repeat a week). My question to experienced joggers/runners is this: do your ankles ever hurt when you run (and after) and is that normal? The first couple of weeks it was my quads and calves that hurt and I was okay with that - I hadn't used them in a long time and they were cranky, lol. But the 3rd week in, my ankles started to hurt. Since I am new to this, I don't know if some pain is to be expected all the time. For the record, I am 35 and though I have lost some weight, I am still 15 to 20 lbs overweight. Another thing, I think I run with a heel strike. When I ran yesterday I tried to strike with my toes but it feels weird and unnatural.

I know some people will say, go see a doctor, and I might do that but I wanted to hear from others personal experience.

Replies

• be_runner
    be_runner Posts: 20
    Options
    Don't see a doctor but go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. I had a horrible heel strike that hurt my ankles, knees, even back when I started to increase my mileage. This was from 5 miles a week to 9, nothing huge, but enough to injury myself with my poor form and subpar shoes.

They fitted me in a shoe that forces me into the mid foot and now I'm doing 15-18 miles a week with no heel discomfort. Good shoes are worth the investment in yourself!
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    SHOES........when I started I thought that I had a broken ankle, come to find out that I was an overpronator and had tendonitus from wearing the wrong shoes.
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ^^^Yep, its your shoes, I get hip pain when my shoes are getting old. Can always tell when its time for new ones.If shoes don't help definitley see your doctor though
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have top of foot pain from running weeks ago... I haven't run since. :-( I'm patiently waiting for this pain to go away.
  • ciarabrennan7
    ciarabrennan7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with the shoes. They make a huge difference. You can even buy a good quality insert that will absorb some of the impact.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Amen to the SHOES! Spend a bit more, go to a place like Road Runner Sports where they'll videotape you and get a readout of your gait and how you're striking your feet. It's a bit more, but it's that or the ortho doc! Good luck. :smile:
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    Depends on the type of pain you're talking about. It could be your shoes, or just the way your foot is hitting, etc. I have a tendonitis in the right on the outside of my ankle bone which once I put a brace on, I'm doing awesome. Sometimes it may be like you said, just a correction. Need more info to have any idea though.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Don't strike with your toes, strike with your midfoot. Here are two posts I have made in the past, they should be very helpful for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/805724-want-to-run-do-it-some-crappy-advice-from-a-newbie?hl=crappy+advice

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921236-guide-to-strength-for-new-runners?hl=strength+new+runner#posts-13980461

Feel free to contact me with any further questions.