Help with these fruit & vegs please!

Options
gel91
gel91 Posts: 309
I ordered a box of salad fruit and vegetables from the market today and it was delivered ealier.

I got tons of things and some of it i'm not sure what to do with. So what would you do with the following items??

a turnip
2 huge sweet potatoes
8 normal potatoes
lots of carrots
a huge cabbage
a broccoli
an egg plant
a courgette
2 red onions

strawberries
grapes
apples
bananas
kiwis
plums
peaches
pears
oranges
avacados

Obviously I know mostly of meals that some could be used in but i'm looking for new nice meals that can use lots of what I have!!

It's all mega fresh so I imagine it'll last quite a while, I also have the usual frozen veg, brocolli, cauliflower, peas, brussels, parsnips ect if that helps at all

I also have no idea what to do with the following items

Eggplant - never had nor tasted
Turnip - never had nor tasted
Avacado - never had nor tasted
Courgette - never cooked it before

& With a fruit salad, do you need a juice in there + how long do they last in the fridge

thanks very much in advance

Replies

• RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I might take the eggplant, courgette (that's zucchini for us Americans) and red onion and make a ratatouille out of it (you'd need some tomato and other stuff as well but I am sure you can hunt down a recipe on line).

For the avocado, I'd just slice it up and put it on salads.

I've only ever used turnip in soup (my mother's split pea recipe calls for it). It's sort of an odd combination of sweet and bitter at the same time. Not too different from parsnip taste or texture-wise if you're used to that. Big batch of veggie soup that includes that, some carrots, and the cabbage?

Wouldn't say fruit salad needs any juice in it, especially if you've got juicy things in there like orange. My guess for how long it lasts would be around 3-4 days.
  • CupcakeConnection
    Options
    Visit the web page of "Reboot With Joe" He has amazing recipes and lots of information on juicing with a juicer and fresh vegetable recipes! All geared toward weightloss and a healthy lifestyle! Bon Appetit'
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    cabbage rolls....Google for that...

steamed cabbage...

1/4 for 3 people ...Get a fry pan, spray the bottom
    Put in very thin sliced cabbage
    dilute a stock cube in warm water or 1/2 pint stock...
    put in about tsp butter...
    Then pour over cabbage in fry pan, cover with lid
    steam til cooked....Watch it, don't scorch the bottom of pan
    keep adding water if you think bottom is getting dry...
    It cooks fairly quickly ...I hate cabbage that is boiled in galleons of water..
  • gel91
    Options
    Thank you for the replies

I actually love soup and like making it so don't know why that didn't even cross my mind!

I suppose I'm looking at some very light recipes what with summer being round the corner (well it better be!!)

So salads, jacket potatoes, fruit salad ect and something nice & light with the vegetables
  • JaimeMWS
    JaimeMWS Posts: 36
    Options
    Some of the fruits will last longer in fruit salad than others - strawberries don't last long after being cut.
    Both stir-fries and curries are good ways to use mixed vegetables. Also soups. Turnip adds interest to cream soups.
  • gel91
    Options
    Strawberries are almost gone anyway..!! Ha, they are super sweet and wasted mixed with other flavours :)

Would apples turn bad quicker in a fruit salad?
  • willrac
    willrac Posts: 4
    Options
    some citric acid on sliced apple will retain color. (browning)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Turnips can be sliced and roasted along with slices of carrot, potato and sweet potato, or mashed and seasoned with or without other veggies.
  • feebz36
    feebz36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i like turnip boiled and then mashed with black/white pepper (if you are feeling naughty butter too)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Start a juice fast.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    In scotland we make something called "clapshot" with turnip, which is less dirty than it looks when I type it out.

In my house it meant mashing the neeps (turnip) with carrots. Otherwheres it means mashed with potato. Boil them first obviously. Turnip takes a little longer than carrots to soften, it's quite solid. I try and cut it small, but I did once cut my thumb open preparing a turnip so be careful. ;)