Working out with Heart Rate Monitors!

Options
2»

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I use a polar FT4. I don't need any bells and whistles, just want to know how many calories I burned and how long I worked out. I don't even care to know how long my heart rate was in the target zone (even though it tells me) because most of my workouts are cardio with strength and I don't try to keep my heart rate up for any specific amount of time
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 for crossfit and any other cardio (running usually)... it's definitely more accurate than the ones without a chest strap. I found the watch-only versions I had before, including the Mio Drive, were WAY to generous with the calories burned and I hated the fact that you had to stop and "test" your HR, the ones with the chest strap continually measure... which I like.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Body Media
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    can you nix the watch during contact sports and have it monitor via bluetooth with a phone (or the watch itself) from the sidelines?

Depends on the distance from the phone I think. My know my bluetooth headset won't let me get very far away from my phone without disconnecting.
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about getting a Polar FT7 next pay day (the day after I get back from a vacation. Woo!). I play a lot of sports...is a heart rate monitor realistic for sports like soccer/hockey? And I apologize if this question is dumb, but can you nix the watch during contact sports and have it monitor via bluetooth with a phone (or the watch itself) from the sidelines?

I have the Polar FT7 and am really liking it! I play hockey and I've been wearing the watch while I play. No issues!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I wanted a polar, but they aren't within my budget so I got a PYLE.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Body Media

Body Media does not make a heart rate monitor. These are activity monitors and are not the same class of device.
  • Yooperm35
    Options
    FYI - there's a new HRM coming out soon called the FItbug -

https://usa.fitbug.com/
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

That looks like a pedometer similar to a fitbit. They also make a scale, a sleep tracker, and a blood pressure device, but no hrm.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I use the FT60. I like some of the features it has over the more basic Polar models. I also like that it is waterresistant to 30 m. I can take it to get my swim on and get an accurate measure of my burn there. It is a bit more pricey. I would have gone with the FT80 if money were no object, because it supposedly has some lifting algorithms.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7. I ordered extra chest straps to have for my multiple workouts during the week, but that is just my preference. I went several months using only one strap and rinsing it everyday. I've used my FT7 for almost three years now without any problems. The battery is a little hard to replace and the design could be improved upon. If my FT7 would quit or be destroyed today, I would have another ordered within a day - quaranteed.
  • Yooperm35
    Options

That looks like a pedometer similar to a fitbit. They also make a scale, a sleep tracker, and a blood pressure device, but no hrm.

Yep pedometer - sorry