Do you stick to your calorie goal when sick?

I have a cold and I have my period.

I have been doing my best to stick to my goal when I have my period, but with this double-whammy, well I am just trying to get lots of vitamin C, lots of water, lots of rest and food - whatever is the least effort.

Plus I have been craving chocolate.

So yeah, I have gone over today and yesterday, and I am going to have to be careful tomorrow if I don't want to go over my weekly goal.

So, when you are sick, do you stick to your calorie goal, or do you just say 'whatever' and just eat whatever.

The weird thing is, yesterday I ate 700 calories of chocolate (Yeah, I lost all self-control) and this morning I had one of my biggest weight loses yet.

Anyway...

Also, do you burn more calories when you are sick, because your immune system has to work hardcore. I mean, I usually walk everyday and go to the gym most days, but today I stayed in bed almost all day, so of course I did burn less calories, but compared to staying sedentary on a day you are not sick, do you burn more calories when you are sick.

Replies

• SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    I was sick recently and asked this. The general advice was to eat at maintenance until better. Your body needs the energy to heal itself.

Don't worry too much about diet (just try and make sensible food choices) and focus more on the getting better!

Hope you get better soon
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    I am sick too, and TOM is starting any day now!!!!! I keep telling myself not to worry and eat what I want, then another voice says stick to your food plan you will hate yourself if you binge.......for me it goes there. For now I am on plan, cant say will stay this way all day though. I am a bit older than you and tired of failing at diets.......I am afraid to go off the rails, I might not get back on, or it will take too long.

I hope you feel better congrats on your weightloss!
  • When I'm sick, I listen to my body. If it says no to food, I don't eat until I feel hungry again. If it wants food, I eat whatever sounds appetizing. Being sick is bad enough without sitting around shivering and blowing my nose and denying myself soup because I've reached my calorie goal for the day!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    When I'm sick, I don't worry much about calories. The only thing on my mind is getting over whatever it is that I have. I'd still log, just so if for whatever reason there is any gain (usually isnt any) I know where it came from and yes I generally go over when I'm sick.