Stir fry sauces help required please

Options
david1956
david1956 Posts: 190 Member
Hiya all

One of my staples is simple vege/beef strip stir fries, in fact I often crave it when training hard, the way some people crave chocolate.

But I'm looking for flavouring ideas that are low cal (in the old days it was honey soy sauce, lol. Holy hell that stuff has some calories in it!!!!)

So I'm really open to concoctions that people enjoy, I'd really appreciate it. (I'm in NZ, so ready-made ones may mean nothing to me by name). And PS, I am OK with moderately hot spicey food such as Thai.

Cheers.

Replies

• sydstar
    sydstar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My mom uses hoison sauce, oyster sauce, a cup of water with corn starch and a few shakes of soy (not a lot like maybe 2-3 shakes or like 1 1/2 teaspoons) and then we add the spiciness with red chili peppers cooked into it.

You dont need much of any of those ingredients because the flavors go a long way.
  • keithbyr
    keithbyr Posts: 1
    Options
    I know what you mean about the sauces, they can be quite heavy and I think some can ruin a good stir fry.

The honey sauce you are talking about, could you make one yourself and just keep it for use. Maybe there are some recipes if you like that. The honey is good for you and perhaps you can adjust the recipe so it is lower in calories.

Anyway, my personal favourite it to sprinkle with some Teriyaki sauce. This is very low cal and adds enough flavour. You can get some cheap versions, but I recommend getting a good one.

Best of luck
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My mom uses hoison sauce, oyster sauce, a cup of water with corn starch and a few shakes of soy (not a lot like maybe 2-3 shakes or like 1 1/2 teaspoons) and then we add the spiciness with red chili peppers cooked into it.

You dont need much of any of those ingredients because the flavors go a long way.

She took the words right out of my mouth! :happy: :laugh:
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I use sweet chilli sauce, it does have about 70 cals per tbp but I find I don't need to use much cos its got a "kick" to it

Or sometimes I will just marinade my meat in something like a powdered spice mix and then just use a little soy sauce on my stir fry to moisten it a little
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Hiya all

One of my staples is simple vege/beef strip stir fries, in fact I often crave it when training hard, the way some people crave chocolate.

But I'm looking for flavouring ideas that are low cal (in the old days it was honey soy sauce, lol. Holy hell that stuff has some calories in it!!!!)

So I'm really open to concoctions that people enjoy, I'd really appreciate it. (I'm in NZ, so ready-made ones may mean nothing to me by name). And PS, I am OK with moderately hot spicey food such as Thai.

Cheers.

I don't know if you have Mrs. Dash spice blends in NZ, but that's what I use for mine. I use the Garlic & Herb flavor with lemon juice. I like my stir-fry VERY light, no heavy sauces. I just posted a recipe to my blog.

http://lowersodiumsouthbeach.blogspot.com/2010/07/recipe-garlic-lemon-stir-fry-for-one.html

However, since you mentioned beef instead of seafood, I would replace the lemon juice with orange juice. Maybe a touch of honey if you're not too averse to the sugar. In other words, create your own sauce! :happy:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I use sweet chilli sauce, it does have about 70 cals per tbp but I find I don't need to use much cos its got a "kick" to it

Or sometimes I will just marinade my meat in something like a powdered spice mix and then just use a little soy sauce on my stir fry to moisten it a little

OOooooooo! Now THAT sounds yummy!
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    BUMPING!!!
  • kvsweatt
    kvsweatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sweet chili sauce with garlic has become a favorite of mine lately! Hoisin sauce is great too!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I make my own... and it does include honey. I use:

1 tsp olive oil
    1 tbsp honey
    1/2 tbsp soy sauce (almost no calories, but high in sodium)
    minced garlic
    black pepper

It's about 109 calories, 18 carbs, 5 grams of fat, 471 mg sodium (I use a low sodium, gluten-free soy sauce)... and I absolutely love it! :love:
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    This is one I use for everything. Chicken, shrimp, beef, or just plain veggies. It came off of the spleanda website (sweet & spicy shrimp) and taste great. Warning! It is very high in sodium even using the low-sodium soy sauce.

2 tsp granulated splenda
    2 tsp corn starch 20 cals
    1/4 cup soy sauce 40 cals
    1/8 to 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper - I only use 1/8 because with 1/4 it's pretty spicy.

It goes a long way and I usually get 3 or 4 servings out of a batch made with this so calorie wise it's great.
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Check out this site - http://www.recipezaar.com/sifter.php

You can sift through recipes according to many different categories and limitations.

Hope it helps,

Kind Regards,

Joy.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options

• reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    That sound Great ! My Daughter uses chicken broth to stir fry instead of oil , that would really cut the calories and give the food flavor.
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    weee, I think I will go on an eating binge now to test all these out. Thanks so much everyone.
  • sydstar
    sydstar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Dry spices are a good way to kick things up a notch. You could use curry power, terragon, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and to thicken you can use water with a little corn starch.