Weight and Hair Loss?

Options
I am just wondering if what I have been experiencing is common or if I should be worried. I have been working out hard and eating healtier than I have in years. When I hit about a 40 lb weight loss I began to notice that my hair was falling out more than it ever had. It went on for about a month and then got better. Around the time I was getting close to an 85 lbs lost it began to happen again, this time it is much worse. Handfulls when I shower or comb my hair, and if it is touched throughout the day. I have stopped using the blowdryer and flat iron because it is terrible. It is getting very thin and sad looking.
I talked to my doctor about this and he said that it was probably from the shock my body was going through from all of the weight loss and it would get better in time. He also did blood work and I have not been informed that there is a problem there.
Has anyone been through this? Any suggestions?

Replies

• ShastaAngel
    Options
    I had a friend that went way low fat and started losing her hair. She went to Dr... he sent her to dietician... are you eating too few fats? That is what her problem was. Just a thought.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Among other tests, he probably tested your thyroid via a blood test. Hair loss is one of the symptoms of a problematic thyroid.

That is how I figured out I had a problem in 1982--my hair was falling out quite a bit. The Doc did blood tests and I have been taking Synthroid since then and it has taken care of my thyroid needs. So, no worries, even if it is the thyroid.

If your thyroid is fine, then your Doc's initial assessment may be right.
    :drinker: (water).
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced that but it would be alarming. If it were me I would try adding fish oil into your diet. If you are eating very low fat that is hard on your hair.
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    This has happened to me a few times also. Usually when I am highly stressed. I have also heard flaxseed was good for thinning hair.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I talked to a woman who said this happened to her. She lost a large a mount of weight and said her body was just in shock. Her hair looked fine when I talked to her so I assume it turned out alright.
  • 02bfitter
    02bfitter Posts: 8
    Options
    I would have a go at upping your protein - put it on your cereal or get some protein shakes. Haven't heard about the "fat" but have been told that protein is very very important.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Well, there's not much to say other than talk to your doctor. And, since you already have, I don't think I can offer any advice. I haven't experienced any hair loss (as far as I'm aware) yet, and I'm really hoping I don't in the future. I think the best bet for you is to listen to your doctor. They don't go through 12 years of medical school for nothing. If doesn't get better in time, you may want to try researching alternative solutions. Good luck to you. 92 pounds is amazing! You're inspiration with or without hair. :) Haha.
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    Among other tests, he probably tested your thyroid via a blood test. Hair loss is one of the symptoms of a problematic thyroid.

That is how I figured out I had a problem in 1982--my hair was falling out quite a bit. The Doc did blood tests and I have been taking Synthroid since then and it has taken care of my thyroid needs. So, no worries, even if it is the thyroid.

I've also heard that your thyroid can cause hair loss.
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This is also happening to me right now. So I am interested in what others say. Thank you for the post and awesome job on the weight loss.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Always happens to me when I loose a large amount of weight. Once long ago I also had problems with busing easily as well. It was so bad I had bruises on my belly just from bumping into a table or chair. My doctor said the bruising was due to the weight loss and lack of Vit C and B. So I upped my vitamins and it helped the busing, but not the hair loss. Sorry, I don't have an answer to that one but it does stop when the weight loss stops.
  • 2daughtermom
    Options

• 2daughtermom
    Options

I have problem with my thyroid and it does cause hair loss. Mine comes out by the handfuls, especially in the shower. I do take synthroid for mine, but it does nothing as far as me losing my hair. Thank God I have VERY thick hair, so it's not noticeable. Good luck
  • lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    I have been going through this since the spring. I had bloodwork done and per my doctor I started taking prenatals again (instead of a multi vitamin) and a Fish and Flax seed oil supplement. She said it would take a couple months before I would notice a difference and I just started a month ago so I don't know if it is working yet.

I found this really great article the other day and my life is a collision of a bunch of these things.
    http://www.womentowomen.com/womenshealth/femalehairloss.aspx