Gained Weight Doing Insanity?

Options
Just wondering if anyone else gained weight doing Insanity? I've only done it for a week but have put on 1kg/2lbs this week, and haven't lost any inches. I'm really trying to sick with it but it's kind of discouraging (I lose weight really slow, so any weight I put on is a real kick in the gut, maybe i'm doing something wrong or it's because I don't have as much to lose?). I also started drinking isowhey protein after some of the workouts (when i'm low on protein for the day & have calories left).

Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on? I don't want to sick with it then end up a few kilos heavier than I began.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Water retention....ignore it. You shouldn't weigh yourself for about 2-3 weeks after starting a new workout routine.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Water retention is very common when starting a new program. You need to give your body time to adjust.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ this, ignore it (I know it's hard) & wait, by the end of week 2/3 you should start seeing a difference if not on the scale then in the tape measure :smile:
  • heyitsadam
    heyitsadam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone else gained weight doing Insanity? I've only done it for a week but have put on 1kg/2lbs this week, and haven't lost any inches. I'm really trying to sick with it but it's kind of discouraging (I lose weight really slow, so any weight I put on is a real kick in the gut, maybe i'm doing something wrong or it's because I don't have as much to lose?). I also started drinking isowhey protein after some of the workouts (when i'm low on protein for the day & have calories left).

Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on? I don't want to sick with it then end up a few kilos heavier than I began.

I'm a BIG Insanity fan.

Assuming you're not cheating on the diet and eating MORE because you're working out (we've all used that excuse, I'm sure), there are a few things you can use as a hedge against the scale.

Your Belt: I notice that my weight may not change, but I start drifting into the tighter holes on the best.

Your Watch: Do you have a watch with a metal band? When I start leaning out, I notice my watch with the stainless steel band starts to "spin" around my wrist.
  • nozzy48
    nozzy48 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I completed the Insanity program last September. The first week or 2 is always the most difficult. I didn't experience any weight gain, but I was extremely sore. Dig deep, and stay with it. It works. As far as your weight gain in week 1, don't be discouraged. The following link should help you to understand this, and give you some encouragement. Chalene Johnson gives her take on the subject.

http://www.decidetostayfit.com/blog/why-am-i-gaining-weight-while-doing-shaun-ts-insanity-work-out

DIG DEEPER!!! :glasses:
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Open your diary, so people can see what you are eating?
  • robpbeachbod
    Options
    just stick with the program!! your before during and after pics will tell the tale - and like others have said - don't be so fine tuned to what the scale says - trust the real proof - and that is the photos! :)
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. I gained my first two weeks. By the end of my first month, I only lost a couple pounds.
    But when I compared my pictures, there was a world of difference.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll stick to it and see how I go.

Just curious, how close did everyone stick to it? I manage to stick to it this week, but sometimes I don't have time to work out on a certain day (sometimes I'm out all day, or I'll have work then have plans afterwards).

heyitsadam: I'm making sure I measure myself this time, last time I didn't when doing 30DS and lost interest in ever doing it again. I do have jewelery (rings in particular) that don't fit anymore and fall off my fingers, my watch is a leather strap and it already on the 2nd last notch.