Perplexed and frustrated

Options
OK, first let me tell you that I am a weight loss veteran. I have tried every "diet" in the book in the past 10 years: WW, Atkins, South Beach, Jenny Craig, even a doctor supervised one WITH drugs. I always lose 10-20 pounds and then give up. The weight just stops coming off or I get too "busy." I always gain back the weight plus a few extra just for kicks.

This is my third attempt at MFP. I am very overweight, so the pounds should just pour off the first few weeks, right? I have lost 1 pound. In three weeks. I have exercised harder, longer, and more often then since I was in high school. I have not had soda in three weeks. Only water. My sodium is always below. I am almost always under my calorie goal. I eat 3-4 servings of fruit a day, so maybe the sugar is the prob? I drink 96 oz of water everyday. I have had no dairy or any kind of bread/pasta/rice in three weeks. I am only eating proteins, veggies, and fruits. (I have a friend who has lost over 100 pounds eating this way and she swears she'll never go back.)

The thing is, I feel good. My cravings are totally gone. For the first time, I am not constantly hungry. So I like eating this way, but it's obviously not working. If I had been doing this for months, I know it would be the normal plateau, but I just started and I'm 130 pounds overweight. What gives?

I did have one cheat meal each week. I guess I should give those up? But I am eating sooo much better than I did before, I would think that even with three cheat meals I would see some progress. (I used to eat out a lot...sometimes 3 times a day!)

I know you guys are gonna say eat your exercise calories and make your diary public, right? Both of those options are scary.

Replies

• AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat your exercise cals if you're earning a lot especially as this can make a big difference. It is scary, as you automatically think eating less means losing more weight and it's very hard to get past that frame of mind, but once you've tried it and seen it works then that will be the proof you need and you will be confident enough to continue on like that.

I don't think the "cheat meal" matters as it's not really cheating if you're counting it in with your cals. You should be able to spend your calories as you want to as long as you log them.

It's worth a try definitely - give it a couple of weeks and see if it helps as it sounds like you're doing well otherwise. Good luck with it!
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I would loose the weight and then it would come right back as soon as I stopped the diet. I have not had much will power to do a diet. I have had great success with MPF.I eat based on how many carbs are at a meal I do not go over 50 per meal. I have diabetes. I pretty much eat what I want as long as it fits in my calorie count for the day. I did not give up anything except Ice cream (that is my major weakness). I just make sure I measure and weigh everything before I actually eat it. I even eat out still. I try not to do it a lot but I still keep it in my calorie count. I usually never eat all my exercise calories. I think you are on the right track just stick with it and keep trying.
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    Options
    You need to see your doctor. My husband's the same way. Just recently, the doctor said, yes, we need to figure this out. Tests were run.....results on July 9th.....so we'll see.

Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • neenaof4
    neenaof4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have you measured yourself? When I first started, I wasn't losing anything either - but after 2 weeks, I measured myself again and I was surprised to see that I had lost an inch here and an inch and a half there. I've been doing this since January 1st and I've only lost 21 pounds, but I'm down from an 18 jeans to a 12! Just don't give up. I've been on a plateau for about 2 months and I'm starting to get frustrated myself, but I need to hang in there.:happy:
  • jenniferolg
    jenniferolg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why it works because it seems contrary to current diet advice, but when I eat only three times a day with nothing in between, I do better than when I graze throughout the day. This has always been true for me and I have never done well on the current "eat 300 calories 4 times a day" programs. My husband swears by it and says "You have to get a little hungry between meals to drop pounds."

Good luck!
  • kvsweatt
    kvsweatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First I have to say that everone is different, and what work for one (or one hundred) may not work for you! You said you are feeling good and you don't have your craving, well to me that is a big part of it. Losing weight is not only physical but just as much mental! What kind of exercising are you doing? How long and how many days? Like others have said, you need to eat what you are burning. The body really is an effeicent calorie burning machine. However, it doesn't like being in a restrictive state and it WILL work against you if you keep it there. Our weight didn't go on overnight, so it won't come off overnight! Don't get discouraged, PLEASE! Re-evaluate your BMR and make sure you are intaking the proper amount. We are all in this TOGETHER!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a few things:

Go to the doctor. Tell him/her what you're doing, and ask to be tested for any health issues that would make it difficult to lose weight.

How many calories a day are you eating? I understand the fear of making your diary a public free for all, but here are some common mistakes: too much sodium, too much sugar, not enough vegetables and fruits (but more veg than fruit, as fruit is high in sugar), not enough water (just water, not crystal lights, or sodas or other water subs).

If you'd be comfortable pm-ing me with a typical day of food/activity, I could give you more info.

HTH.:flowerforyou:
  • leftyy2k4
    leftyy2k4 Posts: 71
    Options
    You should make your diary public so we can see what your diet consists of. Next do you weigh your food?

There are 2 main reasons people don't lose weight. They either are not being honest about what they eat or they are mistakenly eating more calories than they think.

I personally have issues with "cheat meals" I would love to know what they consist of etc. Which is why seeing your food diary would help.

This is not a diet. It is a way I living. So there is no such thing as cheat meals. I don't eat bad food and I track and weigh eveythig I eat. I have steadily lost weight.

Finally you should definitely bring this issue up with your doctor. If you are eating the right calories etc there may be a problem.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    why no dairy? Low fat dairy is essential for a healthy diet. I don't think it is a good idea to completely eliminate dairy & grains from your diet. Everything in moderation. Good luck.
  • laowra
    laowra Posts: 1
    Options
    I dont have much time to gove any real advice but please, please please eat dairy! even from a mutlivitamin or calcium supplement. From a medial standpoint, if you dont eat enough calcium in your diet, your body will then go and look for calclum in otherplaces.. aka your bones. If you dont eat enough calcium you are putting yourself at risk for osteoporosis. Also if you can Vitamin D, because vitamin D helps with the absorption or calcium. Sorry if this sounded rant-like. .. I just want to make sure you aren't going to hurt your self long term. ..

keep trying:)
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's help and advice. Here are some answers/more info to points you all brought up:

*I am not eating dairy because my friend who has been eating Paleo for almost a year now has lost mega pounds (like over 100) and can now run marathons...literally. I gave up all processed foods including wheat, rice, etc and dairy. I know this may sound extreme to some of you, but in three weeks all of the cravings and digestive issues are gone...no more "bubble guts." I did have a latte made with nonfat milk one day last week because I needed a boost after the midnight showing of Eclipse. I had major bathroom issues, and I fully believe it was the dairy.

*I have been on the treadmill for 30-40 minutes most days at a rate of 3.0-4.0. That may not sound like much to some of you, but that is huge for me. My knee has started hurting really bad, so I switched to the Elliptical today. Did 35 minutes, and no knee pains!

*My calorie intake is supposed to be 1480 according to MFP. I range from 1200 to 1500 but some days (the three cheat times) I went up to over 2000. I thought by going down the next day or two after the cheats, it would all balance out.

*I met with a trainer yesterday. She told me to eat 1800 everyday.

*I only drink pure water-96 oz a day. No juice, soda, fake sugars, nothing.

*I always have three fruits and four veggies...nonstarchy ones.

*I also have either almonds or almond butter everyday. (Yes I measure out the right portion size.)

*I am going to give it one more week, and then I'm going to see a doctor. Should it be just a general practioner or an endocrinologist or what?

*This is why I have quit every time before. The people at WW, Jenny Craig, my doctor, etc. have always been perplexed as to why the pounds don't come off. I know they think I am lying, cheating, lazy, but I swear I am following all of the rules.

Thanks for reading....I know this was long!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    You've gotten some good feedback/advice here. The only other thing I can think of is to perhaps make your food diary public so that we can see it and offer you some feedback. I know that not everyone is comfortable doing this, but it's just a suggestion! :flowerforyou:

Also, saw in your profile that you teach 5th grade- I used to, and now work with middle schoolers... but I LOVE 5th grade- my favorite age to work with! :smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's help and advice. Here are some answers/more info to points you all brought up:

*I am not eating dairy because my friend who has been eating Paleo for almost a year now has lost mega pounds (like over 100) and can now run marathons...literally. I gave up all processed foods including wheat, rice, etc and dairy. I know this may sound extreme to some of you, but in three weeks all of the cravings and digestive issues are gone...no more "bubble guts." I did have a latte made with nonfat milk one day last week because I needed a boost after the midnight showing of Eclipse. I had major bathroom issues, and I fully believe it was the dairy.

*I have been on the treadmill for 30-40 minutes most days at a rate of 3.0-4.0. That may not sound like much to some of you, but that is huge for me. My knee has started hurting really bad, so I switched to the Elliptical today. Did 35 minutes, and no knee pains!

*My calorie intake is supposed to be 1480 according to MFP. I range from 1200 to 1500 but some days (the three cheat times) I went up to over 2000. I thought by going down the next day or two after the cheats, it would all balance out.

*I met with a trainer yesterday. She told me to eat 1800 everyday.

*I only drink pure water-96 oz a day. No juice, soda, fake sugars, nothing.

*I always have three fruits and four veggies...nonstarchy ones.

*I also have either almonds or almond butter everyday. (Yes I measure out the right portion size.)

*I am going to give it one more week, and then I'm going to see a doctor. Should it be just a general practioner or an endocrinologist or what?

*This is why I have quit every time before. The people at WW, Jenny Craig, my doctor, etc. have always been perplexed as to why the pounds don't come off. I know they think I am lying, cheating, lazy, but I swear I am following all of the rules.

Thanks for reading....I know this was long!

The reason that I can see that may explain why you're not dropping weight (for now) is that the high-protein diet (lots of hidden sodium to watch out for, depending on your protein sources) can actually make you retain water, as can increasing your exercise (muscles retain water for recovery). I would urge you (strongly!) to use a measuring tape as well as the scale. I'm mostly paleo, and for me, it doesn't encourage weight loss as much as it does fat loss. Sample: since January, the scale has stayed the same, but my body fat has dropped by 4%. Also, make sure you're getting plenty, plenty leafy greens, for calcium. And, you may want to cut the fruit down to two servings a day, to watch the sugar.

I think the 1800 sounds reasonable. (glad to hear that you're not being advised to under-eat.) Be sure you're logging every single thing that goes in your mouth. (it sounds like you are, but just saying...I used to "cheat" a lot with heaping cups and tablespoons, etc...)

It sucks to wait, but patience is a definite virtue. Have you ever consulted your doctor about the difficulty with weight loss? I would urge the trip to a (GP) doc, if in a few weeks you still haven't dropped weight, just to make sure there isn't something physical going on.:flowerforyou:
  • kvsweatt
    kvsweatt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are putting yourself out here to get advice, so I wouldn't think that you would be lying and it doesn't sound like you are lazy! You mention your weight but what about your measurements? I did a strick intake this past week to get me going again - I lost a total of three inches however, my weight STAYED THE SAME! Are you taking measurements as well? How are your clothes fitting. As far as the dairy intake, I say as long as you are getting proper vitamin & nutrient intake don't worry about it. I will occasionaly do cottage cheese or light sour cream, but no milks. Cow milk is meant for the nurturing of another species not humans, but that is my thought on that. Keep your head up and know that people are willing to listen and try and help!
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Do you own a food scale? It's possible that your portions are larger than you think they are.

Just because a specific diet worked for your friend doesn't mean that it will work for you. This quiz refers to different metabolism types and what works best for different types of people. http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247
  • jbwegner
    Options
    OK, I just had to give an update....TOM came this morning, so I am hopping that is the reason for my stall! I can't believe I forgot about that possibility.

And yes, I do have a food scale (digital) and use it often. I haven't taken my measurements personally, but I did get them taken two weeks ago by a professional. (For a bridesmaid dress I have to wear in October--Good lord, me in a strapless bridesmaid dress....that's a whole other topic. :sad: ) So, I can check back in with the seamstress and get them for updates.

Also, my normal jeans that fit just right (for a fat girl) slid right off last night without me unbuttoning them! :noway: I kept pulling them up and down with the button and zipper in tack and my husband was cracking up.

So alas, my hard work does seem to be paying off. Thank goodness! (And my friend who is eating this way said she didn't lose anything at first either, so that gives me hope since she went on to lose 100 pounds!)

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and support! You guys are awesome!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options

Also, my normal jeans that fit just right (for a fat girl) slid right off last night without me unbuttoning them! :noway: I kept pulling them up and down with the button and zipper in tack and my husband was cracking up.

So alas, my hard work does seem to be paying off. Thank goodness! (And my friend who is eating this way said she didn't lose anything at first either, so that gives me hope since she went on to lose 100 pounds!)

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and support! You guys are awesome!

Ah, yes the "pants on the ground" test...proof positive of your progress. :wink: Mine once fell down in a produce section. I'm (pretty) sure that I pulled them up before anybody saw. Unless there was a security camera, in which case I"m probably on YouTube somewhere.:laugh:
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    have you been tested for food allergies?
  • jbwegner
    Options
    have you been tested for food allergies?

No....Should I? I don't think I am allergic to anything. I think I was lactose intollerant, because when I gave up dairy, all my digestive issues went away. (That's just my own diagnosis, not a DR's.)

My husband has major food allergies, and I've never had symptoms like his before, so I never thought that was a possibility.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience where I would exercise and eat right but could NOT lose weight. After going to different doctors over a span of 5 years, I was diagnosed with Iron overload. I am now receiving treatment and am not doing anything different than I did for the past five years but the pounds are coming off. Since weight gain is not life threatening, I found doctors tend to dismiss this as a symptom that something is wrong medically. I was just dismissed as lying or being mistaken about how much I was eating, etc. I was very discouraged until my husband insisted I keep going to different doctor's until one of them would find out what was wrong. That is my advice, don't give up until you find what is going on with you medically.