VO2max dropped?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Ok, so I've been exercising daily, almost strictly cardio, with a few break days thrown in here or there. I aim for 3-4 days a week of actual heavy cardio, and then at least one day of light cardio (paintball, hiking, something along those lines). I haven't really focused very much on strength training.

Now, I've been using my polar f11, and if you're familiar it has a polar fitness test function which calculates your current VO2max. About 2 months ago when i first started exercising regularly, my VO2max was calculated at 31. About 1 month ago it was calculated at 33. Then two weeks ago it was at 34. Now I tried it today, and its at 28??? I tried the test 3 times and ended up with the same result each time.

So, could it be a lack of strength training that is pulling the number down? Could it be something else, like just an off day for my circulatory system? Any light shed on this would be awesome! This has been one of my bigger markers with fitness and it seems weird to see it going up and then plummet.

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've been exercising daily, almost strictly cardio, with a few break days thrown in here or there. I aim for 3-4 days a week of actual heavy cardio, and then at least one day of light cardio (paintball, hiking, something along those lines). I haven't really focused very much on strength training.

Now, I've been using my polar f11, and if you're familiar it has a polar fitness test function which calculates your current VO2max. About 2 months ago when i first started exercising regularly, my VO2max was calculated at 31. About 1 month ago it was calculated at 33. Then two weeks ago it was at 34. Now I tried it today, and its at 28??? I tried the test 3 times and ended up with the same result each time.

So, could it be a lack of strength training that is pulling the number down? Could it be something else, like just an off day for my circulatory system? Any light shed on this would be awesome! This has been one of my bigger markers with fitness and it seems weird to see it going up and then plummet.