Quinoa recipe?

Options
Beavergong
Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
Has anyone any experience using quinoa? I have to bake a cake for the WI this week. I love to bake something different so decided on pistachio peach quinoa cake. The recipe looks relatively easy you boil quinoa first and let cool. I bought the Multi-colored quinoa. Any hints??? Beavergong

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i've never baked it in a dessert or anything, but usually i just rinse it (don't really have to though), boill the water and cook as directed. i mostly use it for dinner like a quinoa risoto or quinoa with chili. good luck with it, it is very simple to cook though
  • bekeyers
    bekeyers Posts: 18
    Options
    I have only used it as a porridge and you boil that as well. I think it is better rinsed off otherwise you can get a bitter taste. Good luck, interested to see how it turns out :)
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    quinoa cake? interesting...I feel like it would be gritty! I'm curious how it will come out. I'd love to try it if it's good. Tricolor quinoa has more of an earthy flavor than regular (I like it better, but it might not be ideal for a cake? I have no idea).
    I make quinoa in my rice cooker. Incredibly easy and foolproof. The ratio of 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water works perfectly. Definitely rinse it before- some brands don't wash off the bitter outer coating (saponin) of the quinoa before packaging it, and it will taste disgusting.
  • oowyrakcaj
    Options
    I made these quinoa cakes last week - absolutely delicious! I baked them with spray instead of frying, but it worked fine for me.

http://www.marinmamacooks.com/2013/02/quinoa-cakes/
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've made raspberry quinoa muffins and same thing -- you put cooked quinoa in them. I just rinsed my quinoa well (as another posted suggested) before cooking it so that it wouldn't take bitter. The texture was about the same as regular muffins.
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    /I cook quinoa in my rice cooker, same settings/directions as white rice.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    bump