Spooked about GW?

Options
So I thought I had chosen a GW that suited my body type and exercise level etc... and I was happy with that till something happened yesterday which totally thew me, now I feel almost neurotic about it and I'm not sure what I should be doing :(

Taking my puppy to the vet for vaccinations, and in the waiting room was a mother and her teenage daughter maybe 14-15 years old. The girl wanted to weigh her puppy but it wouldnt stand on the scale, so she climbed on with and without it to see the different. Her mother totally ripped into her about how much she weighed which was 109lb and it made me cringe completely as my GW is 110... I don't know where the conversation between them went as I immediately went outside, but I keep coming back to it, is my GW to low, should I be aiming to weigh what a 14yr old does? or did this Mother just have no place ripping her child apart like that and distressing me in the process?

Replies

• baker150
    baker150 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'd say just focus on your weight, and if you think it is suited for you then stick with it! Try to not let other people influence your own weight :).
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I question my goal weight too but because of my loose skin and issues with food. I may be heavier than some but I'm built. I wouldn't wanna weigh 110 but it all depends on you. If I were you, I'd just aim for a healthy body fat % and or BMI
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't think a mother should ever agressively address what may be a serious issue with their child. There are much better and constructive ways to address things with children.

As for your weight, it depends on your height and body composition.

Simple as that.

If you are petite with a small frame and a balanced body composition, that may be a good weight for you.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    So I thought I had chosen a GW that suited my body type and exercise level etc... and I was happy with that till something happened yesterday which totally thew me, now I feel almost neurotic about it and I'm not sure what I should be doing :(

Taking my puppy to the vet for vaccinations, and in the waiting room was a mother and her teenage daughter maybe 14-15 years old. The girl wanted to weigh her puppy but it wouldnt stand on the scale, so she climbed on with and without it to see the different. Her mother totally ripped into her about how much she weighed which was 109lb and it made me cringe completely as my GW is 110... I don't know where the conversation between them went as I immediately went outside, but I keep coming back to it, is my GW to low, should I be aiming to weigh what a 14yr old does? or did this Mother just have no place ripping her child apart like that and distressing me in the process?

probably both
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    my goal is 105-110, so it depends on the person(:
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options

probably both

this ^
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Sorry, not enough information. How tall are you? Do you have a small, medium or large frame? I weigh about 110 (I'm up and down between 107.5 and 112.5), and I'm 5'3" and have a small frame. I think it's fine, but some people at work think it's too thin. My doctor thinks it's fine, tho, so I'm not worried about it.

As an aside, when I was 12, I weighed 107. I was the same height that I am now. During my 7th grade year, I gained from 107 to 121. Since then, the only time I've been below 110 until the past year was due to illness, but I got there healthily this time, and since my doctor is happy about it, I am, too.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Weight means zero. Size is what matters. No one sees your scales they see how you look.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You should be focusing on how you look, how you feel, and your body fat percentage. The number on the scale means a lot less than those 3 things.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    If 110 is a healthy weight for you then go for it. You may find you are comfortable at a higher weight or a lower weight depending on your height ect. Everyone is different and looks good at a different weight.

I think toning and sculpting makes the biggest difference anyway as I now weigh 138lbs and find that I can't fit in clothes that I was wearing when I was 155lbs but I've had 2 babies since then so fat distribution must have changed and I must have more looser skin. I'm starting to do some light lifting now and will see if that helps.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Firstly, yes, that mother was extraordinarily wrong, and was psychologically abusing her daughter. I actually would've called her out on it, because my mother did the exact same thing to me, and it was very harmful to my self-esteem. If she were even 4' 10" tall, there's no way she was even remotely overweight even with a small frame.

If your pictures are current, you don't look at all like someone who needs to lose any weight. I would encourage to look up the healthy weight range for you height, and reevaluate your goal based on that.
  • iiwish
    iiwish Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Was the mom saying her kid was fat or didn't weight enough? Either way that's awful
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Weight is just a number, I wouldn't care if I weighed 100lbs or 300lbs. Focus on a goal body composition, body fat%, etc.. What your final weight will be will depend on lean body mass, height, frame, etc..
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The mother was completely off base, if not cruel/abusive. You were smart to leave the situation.
    But it has obviously affected you a great deal. Maybe something like that happened to you at some time in the past?
    Remember that what someone else does or doesn't do about their weight has no bearing on what you do for yourself. If you are unsure about the correctness of the goal weight you've chosen, then ask a professional like your doctor if you have one or the go to the student health center and ask. It will be an estimate anyway because as people get closer to goal weight they often change their mind based on new information because they are learning about muscle weight, body shape, body fat percent, etc. Good luck to you.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't think a mother should ever agressively address what may be a serious issue with their child. There are much better and constructive ways to address things with children.

As for your weight, it depends on your height and body composition.

Simple as that.

If you are petite with a small frame and a balanced body composition, that may be a good weight for you.
    Agreed! My goal weight is about 115, so I wouldn't automatically think 110 is too low. It just depends on the person!
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Depending on your height, 110 isn't too low -- but based on your profile pic, you already look like you're at a very healthy, skinny weight and perhaps you should shift your focus to BF% and "toning" rather than continued weight loss.
  • FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies both supportive and questioning... It all helps, I dropped the weight loss goal to 0.5lb per week and I will be trying to focus more on exercise as I would like to be in the low end of 15-17% body fat. I am 170cm tall and have a reasonably small build. I am very proud of my profile picture but it doesn't show my legs, which is the parts of me which I am least comfortable with and which I feel needs the most work...