Protein Powder

Options
Good Morning All,

Quick question for you...just looking for suggestions for protein powder. I don't drink it often however on mornings where I don't have time to make and eat breakfast I would like the option to mix up a quick protein shake so I can drink on my way out of the house. There are so many different types of powders out there I'm confused as to which one is actualy good. I'm looking for something that is tasty and easy to mix with water or milk. I am currently not doing any extensive excersice however I plan on starting a running program next week and I think it might be a good idea to have some on hand for recovery.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Replies

• mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    I like the vitalabs ultra whey 26 strawberries and cream. It's not too sweet and works well with either water or milk so if your close to going over on cals you can save it by mixing with water. Also, the EAS Advantedge Carb control French Vanilla Shakes aren't bad either. They have a lil less protein than your average powder (only 17g, I think) but are still pretty low in cal/ carb/ sugar. I get those at Kroger.....

Taste is a BIGGIE for me too! I can muscle it down IF I HAVE TO....but I'd rather not have to. :wink:
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You dont need to buy anything expensive. Just read the labels. Look at the size of the scoops, amount of protein per scoop, amount of calories, fat and carb content. A decent protein powder will have next to zero carbs and fats per 25-35g scoop. You should see if you can get some samples from the store your gonna buy from because the shakes and flavours are completely different. I love chocolate but cant stand chocolate protein shakes. I usually go with a fruit punch but its all personal preference.
  • pj145
    pj145 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Andree.. i use Jillian Michaels Natural whey protein shake, comes in vanilla and triple chocolate ( which i use this one),, yummy.. instead of water or reg milk, i use rice dream chocolate drink to mix with it, 8 oz of rice milk to a scoop of protein shake , and 3 cubes of ice, and put in a blender.. its soo good, and gives me lots of energy, i love it,.. i have links to this so you can see for yourself what it looks like..
    rice milk ( i perfer it to reg milk ) http://www.tastethedream.com/products/category/202.php
    protein shake -- http://www.pureprotein.net/pages/products_jillian.aspx

just cut and paste, and wala.. hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
    BTW .. i get the shake mix at walmart in the health dept. and the rice milk at krogers or heb, depending on where u are at, you just have to check around , if u think you might like that, and walmart does carry the rice milk , but mine only carries the vanilla.. and reg, i love the chocolate, . to me it taste like a fudgesicle..
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I found these ones from Jay Robb that are pretty darn tasty. They're sweetened with stevia so the carb amount isn't rediculous (like 3g I think) for the taste you get. But I've switched to premade for ease.

Another option you may want to consider, premade shakes, protein powder can be difficult to get to go into solution (like the EAS Whey powder I'd have to let sit for awhile b/c of the clumping). I get some at Sam's that are really good and have about 2 carbs (5g - 3g fiber = 2) in em and 30g protein for like $13. They're Premier Nutrition and I think they taste great.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You dont need to buy anything expensive. Just read the labels. Look at the size of the scoops, amount of protein per scoop, amount of calories, fat and carb content. A decent protein powder will have next to zero carbs and fats per 25-35g scoop. You should see if you can get some samples from the store your gonna buy from because the shakes and flavours are completely different. I love chocolate but cant stand chocolate protein shakes. I usually go with a fruit punch but its all personal preference.

I've never seen the fun flavors like fruit punch. Do you have to go to a specialty store for those or do you get em online?
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you are located but I get a huge canister for $25-$40 (depending on if they are on sale) at Meijer of their protein time released powder. Its meijer brand. Its yummy and it mixes well. I throw in a serving of benefiber and there is no grit at all.

http://dailyburn.com/nutrition/meijer_time_release_protein_-_chocolate_calories
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    GNC is having a huge sale right now. I just bought this Amplified Whey Protein. $25 for 18 servings of 2 scoops. I got the vanilla... my boyfriend thought it was terrible, but I thought it was pretty tasty! So that goes to show you how people's taste can differ so much. The GNC Whey Isolate is also pretty good.
    At Target they have Pure Protein powder and also the EAS powder, they're a great value!
  • MikeRay
    MikeRay Posts: 47
    Options
    I take Dymatize Elite Gourmet Protein. It is a blend protein and you can't find a better tasting protein on the market. I take my protein in the morning after my workout, and at night right before bed. Hope this helps
  • dougsheldon
    Options
    My girlfriend makes the BEST shakes. I have Premium Pro-Rated protein powder from Costco. 20 something dollars for a 6 lb bag. Pretty good deal. Anyways, 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder, some frozen strawberries, a banana, original almond milk (or rice milk), and some ice. Mmmmm they're so good. Low in fat, high in protein, and just about the only sugar in it is from the fruit.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I found these ones from Jay Robb that are pretty darn tasty. They're sweetened with stevia so the carb amount isn't rediculous (like 3g I think) for the taste you get. But I've switched to premade for ease.

Another option you may want to consider, premade shakes, protein powder can be difficult to get to go into solution (like the EAS Whey powder I'd have to let sit for awhile b/c of the clumping). I get some at Sam's that are really good and have about 2 carbs (5g - 3g fiber = 2) in em and 30g protein for like $13. They're Premier Nutrition and I think they taste great.

I have been suggesting Jay Robb protein to everyone on this site and everyone I know for the past 2 years..............

It is the best protein powder I have ever had and with it being sweetened with Stevia and not Splenda or sugar, it is more nutritionally sound............
  • gjbs_girl
    gjbs_girl Posts: 3
    Options
    I have tried MANY protein powders and found most to be disgusting. The one that I love is Unjury, I have both chocolate and vanilla and they don't have the unpleasant after taste that most protein powders seem to have. They also have unflavored, strawberry and chicken soup flavors. The chicken soup would be ok if you added some other seasonings or maybe added the protein powder to chicken stock or broth.
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am using the Whey Gourmet powder in Cream Orangecicle and I love it!