new user: fitness pal vs pro points

Options
Hi

I am new to the site today. I have been using weight watchers new pro points system since Jan to very little success. I lost 45lbs on old system but wasnt a fan of new one for some reason. So thought I would give this a try and save the £20 a month. Has anyone else done similar?

I hope to loose 21lbs this year so need to get motivated!!

Also just started the couch to 5k app last week which is great and the excercise is helping my motivation again.

Kat :)

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers years ago , before pro points i got to goal , stoppped going and put it back on plus some!

the way i look at it now most foods have the calories on the so for me MFP makes me more accountable i'm now back to my goal weight!

save your money , you will soon make friends on here , we hold each other accountable!

good luck on your journey! you CAN do it!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I think I've tried every 'diet' under the sun & failed miserably... Spent my adult life Yo-Yo'ing away to myself!

This works (in my humble opinion,) because it isn't a 'diet' as such; you can eat/drink whatever you want (in moderation,) as long as you count the calories. Personally, using the iPhone app helps because whenever I eat something I note it down immidiately (so I don't forget.)

I've lost just over 2 stones without trying too hard!

Stick with it & you'll succeed!

P.S. There is a very good thread on here somewhere about 'why the scales lie,' so do yourself a favour and throw them away (or weigh yourself once a fortnight or so,) measure yourself with a tape measure to see results - don't set yourself up for failure!
  • hopeforsuccess
    Options
    Hi Kat

I'm the same...I had once lost 5lbs at the Weight Watchers, I then joined the new Pro-Points club and lost nothing at all as, to be honest, I didn't like it. I went to the meeting and I just felt it was more of a sales meeting than a weight loss meeting! Anyway, I've decided to give this a go and am now going to give it my all:-)
    Good luck...we can do it:-)
  • hopeforsuccess
    Options
    Hi Kat

I'm the same...I had once lost 5lbs at the Weight Watchers, I then joined the new Pro-Points club and lost nothing at all as, to be honest, I didn't like it. I went to the meeting and I just felt it was more of a sales meeting than a weight loss meeting! Anyway, I've decided to give this a go and am now going to give it my all:-)
    Good luck...we can do it:-)
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I've done the same thing, joined WW new pts. program in Jan. They gave me way too much to eat and I nothing happened. I switched over to this site and have lost weight and inches. I think in the long run WW will have to revamp their new program. There are a ton of people out there that are gaining weight on the new pts. program.
  • kathryndempsey
    Options
    Hi all

Thanks for your words of encouragement and glad to know people have switched over and found this a good way to keep on track. 3 days in and finding it a really handy tool.

Best Wishes
    Kathryn
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Me too! I did OK with the old points system but got a bit lost with propoints and eventually I decided to finish and joined MFP instead. As you say, it's a lot cheaper! :-)
  • Kmacc79
    Kmacc79 Posts: 4
    Options
    I tried weight watchers to, and had little success. It did train me to look at the nutritional info on foods though, and to think twice before going after something unhealthy! I also started the C25k program last week, and am loving it so far. I got pushed off of my schedule due to a nasty migraine, but I'm hoping to make it up tomorrow. Good luck!!

Kimberly
  • DeeC01
    DeeC01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was also a pro points lover. To be fair to the plan, I lost in excess of 28lbs. I found it brilliant for over a year. Then I went off track for about 6 months and put on a bit. I went back, but couldn't loose anything at all. I came on here and have lost 5.5lbs in the last few weeks. I am so much more aware of what I am eating and being a lot more cautious of sweet fruit. I think this is a healthier way to loose weight. Its free and very educational. The forums are great for information as well!!

Feel free to add me people, my diary is open and i'm here constantly :happy: