Anybody taken Statistics and College Algebra?

Options
shelbz09
shelbz09 Posts: 115
Has anybody taken stats and college algebra?

Which one did you think was "harder"

Do you think that you should take college algebra in order to do well in statistics?

Just looking for some feedback!

Replies

• OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Neither is particularly difficult, but statistics is nerve-wracking. I'd definitely say take algebra first.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be taking statistics over the summer, but I've done up through calculus 3. I've heard stats is pretty stressful, even for those who are good at math.
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    i stopped after calc 3. in my opinion, college algebra is WAY easier than statistics...i almost had a nervous break down over my statistics midterm.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wish I had taken some sort of maths before statistics. I had to do alot of extra work to get up to speed. It can be done but if you have the time and the option I would definitely take some maths first (I have a research year in my program and understanding statistics rather than just 'doing' statistics makes a hell of a difference).
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I had to for my degree in Accounting.

College Algebra is easy.
    Calculus is NOT. Even watered down I had a hard time with it.
    Statistics? Hard at first. Cake walk later on. I had to take a 1 year sequence in it. Just got a 98% on the last test.

I recommend College Algebra first because its usually required before you can enroll in it. Also Precalculus is usually. Also it will help you learn how to think logically with the math.

Good luck!
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    College Algebra is easier but stats is easier to relate to real life. Depends on what you want.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    College algebra should definitely come first. But statistics, if you have a good teacher, is waaaay more interesting and useful.
  • xtasa25
    xtasa25 Posts: 12
    Options
    At my school it is a prerequisite that you take College Algebra before you're allowed to take statistics.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Never had to take Stats, but College Algebra is suuuuuper easy, so if you have to take both, I would start with that one.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Stats was easier for me than any other college-level math course.
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you could get very far in statistics without algebra. Unless it's a calculus based course. I know I had to take alg. just to get in to stats. Different schools, different pre-reqs I guess.
  • HeaDak3
    HeaDak3 Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm a math major, and you need to have your College Algebra down before going into Stats, but if you manage to do Stats without College Algebra, you are:

1) Awesome
    2) Going to have an easy time when you go back and take College Algebra

Isn't College Algebra a prerequisite for Stats at your school?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Statistical calculus. For realz. That's some tough stuff. For two you selected I would say it depends on how much you like Algebra.

Isn't College Algebra a prerequisite for Stats at your school?
    I thought so too.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Stats are pretty tough. Those confidence interval things made me almost pull my hair out last semester. Algebra..depends on how good you are at it.

edit: typo
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    stats is TOUGH. Gimme differential equations anyday.
  • shelbz09
    shelbz09 Posts: 115
    Options
    It is- but at my other school I took a college algebra class that wasnt called college algebra, even though it was a college algebra class-

So the school I transfered to, wants me to try to get a wavier so i dont have to retake the college algebra related course so I can take Statistics for Social Science..

Its very confusing. basically, I have taken a course very similiar to college algebra, i used the college algebra book, I transfered school.... I do struggle with math
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking your "College Algebra" is very different than the "Algebra" math & science majors take in college (all theoretical -- real & linear). Unless you did well in Algebra in HS, you'll probably need to take "College Algebra" first. Statistics is only easy for people who already know what I think you are referring to as "College Algebra".

(FYI - I have a baccalaureate and masters degree in math and taught a little undergrad math,)