When You're Out of Calories and it's only 5pm...

Options
So, some days are hard. There are birthday cupcakes, Easter candy, "healthy" muffins, and other problem foods lurking around and before I know it, I've used up my entire allowance of calories. Usually this happens towards late afternoon when energy reserves are low. The thought of dragging myself through a work-out so I can eat (a tiny) dinner is pretty grim.
Does this happen to anyone else? What do you do?
Usually, I just shrug and tell myself I'll just have to call it a cheat day. I make no further effort to track and eat whatever I want the rest of the day. Probably not the best solution, and the results are not pretty. Alternatively, I've tried forcing myself through that workout and going to bed hungry and tired- also not pretty. Now, it doesn't happen every day, but once or twice a week is not an overestimate.
I'm interested in hearing if others have struggled with this, and how they handle it, but please be nice. I know the best solution would be to always eat appropriately, but learning how to recover from mistakes and setbacks, I think is also an important part of a realistic weight loss journey.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to pre-plan all my foods and to already have them logged. That way I know that my calorie and macro goals are going to be met provided I don't binge on something else. This allows me to spread out my meals however I see fit.
  • teamike
    teamike Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to pre-plan all my foods and to already have them logged. That way I know that my calorie and macro goals are going to be met provided I don't binge on something else. This allows me to spread out my meals however I see fit.

I do this to. I get up, make my mid morning snack (11 am) my lunch (2pm) and my mid afternoon snack (4:30 pm). I go ahead and log it in. Then I decide what's for dinner depending on how many calories are remaining. If my protein seems too low I may eat a little more chicken breast. It seems easier for me if I preplan and have it ready. I try to eat about every 3 hours so about the time I get a little hungry is about the time I get to eat. Helps to keep me from getting too hungry and going to zaxby's and eating 20 or so hot wings.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Throw the munchkins in the stroller and walk around the block a few times. You can buy yourself a few hundred calories which should get you through the day.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Log it anyway. At worst, it might help you make different decisions in future.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I hate those days! It happens here too. Sometimes I try to get through it and go to bed. I've been told to drink water and see if that helps. Otherwise, I've had a screw it, or cheating, day, or exercised. Sorry...not much help, but I know how you feel. I also try to plan ahead, but it doesn't always work. I may not want what I scheduled by the time I get there!
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I eat the same exact lunch every day and my mid day snack must be around 100 calories. Then for dinner I know I am allowed no more than 700 calories. Then whatever the number of calories left for the day I eat in small snacks until I have used all the calories. And that's what works for me.

I have found some low calorie meals that are quick and easy. I love the bacon and eggs for dinner meal! All rather low in calories and totally fills ya up. I ate at 430pm and I am still not hungry at 745. (but I have unused calories so I am eating my snacks)

Keep experimenting and you will find what works for you.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I really never had this problem because I workout so much but...
    I wouldn't sweat too much eat a healthy dinner and take a brisk walk/run which ever you can do and chalk it up. Just don't go overboard on eating crazy. I wouldn't suggest going to bed hungry..it just sets you up for a hard next day.

Good luck
  • dig4gold
    dig4gold Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your situation. Like others have posted, I try to pre-plan the day, too. But, sometimes, the entire day I packed for work is gone before lunch. I, too, shrug it off as a "free" day, but I continue to log my food. Then, I write a comment about what I think made me eat an entire day's worth of food by 10:00 am. :) I have found that when I'm overly stressed at work, I eat. Not only everything I packed but a couple of candy bars from the vending machine, too. :( So, I'm learning. I have found that drinking an 8 oz glass of water helps control my eating everything in sight urge. Hope these ideas help.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Well, one thing that could help is to NOT look at it as cheating....accept that you made some fun yet perhaps inappropriate choices. See, this will help you to know that next time when the not so good foods arrive, you have a choice.

It might sound weird, and probably does.... LOL :laugh: - I like to turn down the crap and just have good food later, makes me feel proud of myself. Especially given that all those foods are just plain ole bad for ya......

So, yes, definitely part of the journey and so much to learn on the way. You can do this, have faith.

On the practical side of things, check your macros and eat what you are missing if you are hungry. Log it all and in the end the only thing from an occasional day like this is that you'll gain, is some water weight and hopefully knowledge!.

edit - spelling.....
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I make a big pan of "sauted' (with sprayed olive oil) vegetables and mushrooms -- hardly any calories -- and add whatever amount of protein that I have calorie-allowance room for.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Instead of calling it a cheat day and going all out, why not call it a maintenance day so you're still accountable? Not at a deficit, but not at a surplus either.
  • psfr
    psfr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Instead of calling it a cheat day and going all out, why not call it a maintenance day so you're still accountable? Not at a deficit, but not at a surplus either.

***Second. This small change in attitude has helped me a LOT with the binge days.
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I third this. Every night before I fall asleep, I log what I think I'm probably going to eat the next day. Do I stick to it 100%? Definitely not. But it gives me an idea of what I can fit into my calories and my macros. I try to save more calories for the end of the day because otherwise I, like you, would run out. If you don't want to prelog your whole day, try logging possibilities of what you might eat for a meal right before you eat it - that way you can change your mind or eat less if you discover that you're going to run out of calories.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how many calories do you allot yourself daily, that you run out by 5pm?

also, can you condition yourself to skip breakfast? i know that helps me considerably to have "extra" calories at night.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some of the lowest calorie options possible. Celery and such.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Log it anyway. At worst, it might help you make different decisions in future.

This

And this.

I've had a couple days recently that I overate, but I logged it and it came out close to what Fitbit says I burned for those days.
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'll exercise or if I'm feeling especially lazy I'll just try and go over by only a couple hundred for the day.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    I make a big pan of "sauted' (with sprayed olive oil) vegetables and mushrooms -- hardly any calories -- and add whatever amount of protein that I have calorie-allowance room for.

THIS!!!! Big ol plate of veggies!!!
  • dynamicdreamer
    Options
    Just eat a little less the next day or two until you make up for it. It's not the end of the world if you go over your calories one day.
  • cindijelly
    cindijelly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This happened to me, especially when girls scouts were selling those darn cookies. You could work out for 30 min. Or eat something light and go to bed early. Good luck!