Vitamins: Yay or Nay

Options
muziclver
muziclver Posts: 145 Member
I've never taken vitamins although I've seen quite a few advocates for it around on this website. I'm thinking about incorporating those into my diet considering I know that I do not get the appropriate amounts of fruits and vegetables in everyday. Also, I don't like drinking milk so I know my calcium is not what it should be. Do you think vitamins really help or are they a waste of money?

Replies

• KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I would say that it is a waste of money for many people who get enough vitamins through diet, which you might not because you mentioned not getting enough fruits and veggies. I have a vitamin deficiency, so I *usually* take a vitamin daily, but I've really been slacking lately.
  • HardDon
    HardDon Posts: 204
    Options
    The only way to know for sure what vitamins you're lacking is to get blood work done. As for multi-vitamins, the research is not 100% clear on whether or not they will improve the health of an average person. Either way everyone should be taking fish oil and vitamin D3 in winter. Everything else would be individual.
  • lockmand
    lockmand Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Agree with the Fish Oil Omega 3 and the Vitamin D.
    Anything else that blood work might point out.
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    A good Multi vitiam can't hurt anything and it will help with some of the calicum that your not getting. I also take a extra B-Complex (bloodwork showed my b's vitiams was low).
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I try to get my vitamins from what I eat with the exception of calcium.

I take a daily calcium chew.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I say nay. There has been some talk of vitamins not actually delivering what the label says. I just do my best to get it from food.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/vitamin-labels-may-be-wrong/
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I spent a long time on a thesis to prove vitamins were not necessary, ( 1 yr in college ) only to find out I was very wrong. I will say it is individualized what you need based on your current state of health and various disease processes. I take a whole foods complex multivit with minerals and b-complex, as well as vit d-3, fish oil and probiotics. I have multiple health issues and have found the right mix for me. No calcium needed in my diet, I did take magnesium an niacin till my depression lifted last yr with amazing results.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I take them for the iron. If you don't want to take a multi, you should at least be taking an iron supplement :) I realize that I can just take one instead of a multi, but those mess with my tummy.
  • Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I take one that is mostly for my hair, but that's pretty much it. I tend to get plenty other vitamins in my regular diet so far. You should consult with your doctor before starting a regiment.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I take a vitamin D supplement because I live on Neptune and the sun is far away.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's always best to get your vitamins from food. Studies suggest that even with Omega 3, natural sources are far superior to supplements.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    A daily multivitamin can help make sure you get all the micronutrients and trace minerals your body needs - especially while you are cutting calories. Just be sure to take it with a balanced meal. By taking it with a meal that includes fats you will be able to absorb the fat soluble vitamins. Take care!
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Previous poster is right - always try to get as many of your nutrients from food. I however severely lack in iron and a couple others even though I eat fairly well (always have been low in iron - foods rich in it are not my faves) -
    As far as do they help...YES!!!!!
    My iron for example must of been low - adding my new diet and work outs in I was not only exhausted but also freezing ALL DAY...started taking the multi vitamins faithfully last week and I am already feeling better without changing anything else.

If you can - get them from food - if you can not then find a multi for your needs (women, age...energy etc.)
  • Blurked
    Blurked Posts: 4
    Options
    I take a womens one a day vitamin every day. My daughter and my boyfriend take theirs as well. Vitamins can't hurt you.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yay, if you have the extra $$.
    Nay if you can't even afford the bills you already have.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat organically vitamins are essential as GMO food is nutrient poor and full of toxins from pesticides. Even if you are eating organically taking supplements can't hurt, your body will take what it needs and flush the excess out.

I swear by Vital Greens an organic powder with 72 vitamins, minerals and superfoods in it. It's sweetened with apple and papaya so it tastes good and boy does it put a spring in your step!

I also take D3 and B3, natural cures for the blues - I recommend this combo for those out there that comfort eat.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    As a Dietitian/Nutritionist, I would recommend a Multi Vitamin to almost anyone on a weight loss plan. The kind/type one needs should be based on your current intake, Diagnoses, Medical History and Lab Reports. Some are better than others as well. Also, check vitamin bottles for the United States Pharmacopoeia (USP), NSF International (NSF), or ConsumerLab.com (CL) seals. The USP and NSF are nonprofit groups that verify whether companies offer contamination-free products and use good manufacturing practices. Not every brand has the seals -- some don't want to submit to testing--but those that do (Kirkland and Nature Made carry the USP seal, for instance) are reliable.

Check out this link below as well. I have personally done hours of research on Vitamin brands, vitamin ingredients and which vitamin/mineral sources are better absorbed. Brands I personally recommend are: Vitacost, Now Foods, Metagenics, Pure Encapsulations, Source Naturals, Nature Made, Nature's Way and Solgar. See link below for more information. Keep in mind, supplements are not a replacement for eating a balanced diet. Getting plenty of lean protein, low fat dairy, whole grains, and 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily is what the foundation of a healthy diet should be and the basis of your vitamin/mineral intake.

http://www.multivitaminguide.org/best-multivitamin.html

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/nutrition-vitamins-11/choose-multivitamin

See this link for the recommended for macro and micronutrients for Individuals:

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/dietary-guidance/dietary-reference-intakes/dri-tables