For those who have done the 30 Day Shred?

Options
I did it for the first time today. It's going to be a part of my regular workout. I'll be doing the 30DS along with 25 - 35 minutes of weight lifting.

For those of you who have done the 30DS, how did you do it? Literally one level, every day for 10 days straight? Or what? I'm not sure if I have the availability to do it every day, even if it is 20 minutes. Since I have a full-time job, where I work 40 - 45 hours a week, I have school and I still have chores. Plus doesn't your body need a rest day at least once a week?

Any opinions?

Replies

• trin8ty75
    trin8ty75 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm still on Level 2 but I'm doing it this way

10 days at Level 1
    Rest Day
    10 days at Level 2
    Rest Day
    10 days at Level 3
    Rest Day

Then maybe I'll try Ripped in 30

Good luck!!!!
  • sarah_the_girl
    Options
    I'm still on Level 2 but I'm doing it this way

10 days at Level 1
    Rest Day
    10 days at Level 2
    Rest Day
    10 days at Level 3
    Rest Day

Then maybe I'll try Ripped in 30

Good luck!!!!

That could work....since it is only 20 minutes, and I'll just do my other 30 minutes of exercise 3x a week but I thought your body needed a whole day off from any exercise, but thanks for the input!
  • sarah_the_girl
    Options
    Bump lol
  • fnixrebrn
    fnixrebrn Posts: 27
    Options

That could work....since it is only 20 minutes, and I'll just do my other 30 minutes of exercise 3x a week but I thought your body needed a whole day off from any exercise, but thanks for the input!

Why not alternate between your weight training 3x a week and 30DS 3x a week?

Mon: 30DS
    Tues: Weight Lifting
    Wed: 30DS
    Thurs: Weight Lifting
    Fri: 30DS
    Sat: Weight Lifting
    Sun: Rest

You still have one full day of rest every week. Also, you don't have to do 30DS everyday. It gets tiring and boring when you do it that way. Maybe your muscles are okay with it, but your mind isn't lol.
  • sarah_the_girl
    Options

Why not alternate between your weight training 3x a week and 30DS 3x a week?

Mon: 30DS
    Tues: Weight Lifting
    Wed: 30DS
    Thurs: Weight Lifting
    Fri: 30DS
    Sat: Weight Lifting
    Sun: Rest

You still have one full day of rest every week. Also, you don't have to do 30DS everyday. It gets tiring and boring when you do it that way. Maybe your muscles are okay with it, but your mind isn't lol.

I could do that. Thanks :)
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I did four days on two days off, and did each level 12 days (total of 18 days w/ rest days for each level).
  • iluvco3
    iluvco3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels recommends the following schedule - 2 days 30 DS - 1 day cardio - 2 days 30 DS - 1 day cardio - 1 day rest. You would still do each level 10 sessions.

I actually do 30 DS 3-4 times/week, but I also do 6 Jazzercise classes each week. I enjoy the 30 DS, but I am afraid I would start not to enjoy it if I did 10 days in a row.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This week I have being doing her kickbox quickfix, followed by weights. Due to a different schedule this week, I also did a walk run on Monday, and Wednesday . Tuesday and Thursday were rest days. Just the DVD and weights on Friday. Long walk Saturday . I am not sure what I will do this week as I have been hit with a cold.

My plan after the school holidays is three days of 30 day shred. I will see how my muscles feel regarding weights. I still want to get my extra cardio in as I enjoy walking and starting to run. I am also thinking of having one or two heavy lifting days and not doing the cardio, or maybe once a week. I also love doing the kickbox DVDs. They are so much fun to me and they are working. I will have to work out how I want to do it lol
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I did 10 days of each level, with one rest day per level whenever I felt like I needed the break. Worked out nicely for me.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It's part of my rotation. I love Jillian, but I disagree with doing the same workout 10 days in a row.

I also like to workout for a full 60 minutes, so when it's my 30 Day Shred Day, I will usually do Level 2 followed by 1, or level 3 followed by level 1 to make it an hour on the nose.
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did 30 DS day by day, 10 days each level, but later I figured that Jillian recommends taking some days off. Actually - every trainer does! They say your muscles need to recover after weight training. Jillian recommends to do those exercises 5-6 times a week (since 30 DS is short I would go for 6 if you can). This is what I"m doing now with Ripped in 30, work out 5 - 6 times a week,and on my rest-from-Ripped-days I do some running (10K runner app). I definitely feel the difference after a day off, next time I exercise I feel stronger. Good luck!
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did it for 5 days/week, 10 days per level.
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have 2 more weeks of JM 90 Body Revelution and plan to do 30DS after that =)
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am doing 30 day shred & weight lifting at the moment. I did day 5 today of shred :smile:
    Starting to really enjoy it. My advice would be to stretch a big longer than Jillian does at the end since I have been doing this I haven't felt as sore. I am doing each level for 10 days.

Good luck
  • Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did it 3-4 days a week depending on my work hours and gym sessions but still found it effective. Btw it takes about 27 minutes with the warm up/cool down included
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Did everyone go out and buy light dumbbells?
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it 5 days on and two off so i take it mon-fri and have a rest at the weekend which may be mixed with some cardio dancing or walking, its worked for me, though last week i ended up missing two evenings and just worked it back into sat and sun and i actually felt good doing the workouts then so don't be afraid to take rest days and give your muscles time to recover even if it means going for a brief walk on your rest day or doing something that gets you out and moving but different for the body.
  • KaltieEm
    Options
    Did everyone go out and buy light dumbbells?

When I first started 30 DS last fall and was completely out of shape I used 3 lbs dumbbells and still felt like it was a lot (especially side lunges with arm rise - they felt way too heavy so sometimes I would just grab two apples for this exercise instead ;)). Later I felt like 3 lbs were not enough, for example when working out biceps (I could lift 3 lbs without any effort). So I got 5 lbs dumbbells and were alternating between 3 and 5 lbs, depending on the exercise. Now I'm working on Ripped in 30 and feel I could use bigger weights again.

Summarizing, I think you need a smaller weights at the beginning, so that you can handle the exercise. How small? Depends on your fitness level. With your progress you'll see that you can use heavier dumbbells.
  • KaltieEm
    Options
    I've been doing it 5 days on and two off so i take it mon-fri and have a rest at the weekend which may be mixed with some cardio dancing or walking, its worked for me, though last week i ended up missing two evenings and just worked it back into sat and sun and i actually felt good doing the workouts then so don't be afraid to take rest days and give your muscles time to recover even if it means going for a brief walk on your rest day or doing something that gets you out and moving but different for the body.

Agreed!
  • pugloverfl
    Options
    I'm thinking about buying the DVD and doing the 30DS. Unfortunately, I have a very crabby neighbor downstairs who won't appreciate me jumping up and down. Can anyone please tell me if there is a lot of jumping etc in these workouts that might have my neighbor calling the cops on me?