I dont sweat

Options
The other day I had one of those conversations asking how I lost the weight. I told her hard work, lots of sweat/exercise, eating healthy, and counting my calories religiously. Of course it wss not what she wanted to hear. She said "I cant exercise because I dont sweat". Huh? Wouldnt you like die if you didn't sweat?

Replies

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Tell her she needs to work out harder :)
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you don't sweat you are not getting warm enough for your body to need to cool off, thus, you are not working very hard.

OR

You are so dehydrated that you will overheat and die.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i do not naturally perspire unless its 1 over 90 degrees or 2 i am working my belly off, I say belly cause , i dont need to work my *kitten* off, but my belly
  • daylite2nite
    daylite2nite Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Anhidrosis? It's rare but there are people who don't sweat. Maybe?
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hypohidrosis -- it's entirely possible, and potentially fatal. If she does indeed actually have a similar disorder, she needs to avoid activities that would raise her body temperature.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My auntie actually told me once when I was a kid that she doesn't sweat....she is very thin naturally, doesn't need to work out...but yeah...she said that she just doesn't sweat......lucky.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, those people usually have to wear a special cooling vest. People with their lame excuses?
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    There are other ways to exercise. Walking or swimming wouldn't cause sweat or at least not a lot.

Her excuses are invalid. :)

eta: Unless she truly has a medical condition, of course.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I sweat but I don't get smelly. Just lucky I guess.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Anhidrosis? It's rare but there are people who don't sweat. Maybe?

This^^^ It is rare, but I have a family member who has it and stays out of the sun also for fear of overheating. Apparently their bodies do not have the ability to regulate temperature the way ours do and the risk of damage or death is pretty high.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yeah, those people usually have to wear a special cooling vest. People with their lame excuses?

I'm not sure if "I may potentially overheat and die" is a lame excuse.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Lol I don't sweat much. A little on my back and pits but I dont be dripping sweat. -when weight training.

The most I ever sweat was when taking fat burners going boxing and when I'd do crazy cardio. Not a big sweater though.
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    She probably means that it takes a lot for her to sweat, not that she doesn't sweat at all. When I was younger, I used to be the same way - I'd get on the elliptical at a high incline for an hour and still have little to no sweat. I also used to overheat very easily, and had some incidents where I passed out.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It lame when you dont have either one of the disease processes to back it up. She wanted to hear about the magic pill.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I barely ever sweat much, even going as hard as I can without hurting myself at the gym. The only time I REALLY sweat is doing a circuit. Regular cardio machines? I sweat a bit but not enough where people who believe the only way to work out is to sweat buckets would think I was working hard.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    She probably means that it takes a lot for her to sweat, not that she doesn't sweat at all. When I was younger, I used to be the same way - I'd get on the elliptical at a high incline for an hour and still have little to no sweat. I also used to overheat very easily, and had some incidents where I passed out.

I am the same way even now! Except I've never passed out. I've come close, and gotten extremely ill, but never actually dropped. My heart goes out to you, and I'm glad you "grew out of it" for lack of a better term!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    my step mom doesn't sweat. she has to take some sort of pill(diuretic?) she calls them 'water pills'. either that or your friend is just half@ssing
  • sjwright66
    Options
    Maybe she drinks very little? When I first stared working out I NEVER drank water and I NEVER sweated... I'm ashamed to admit it but I didn't know any better. Now I drink gallons a day and sweat like crazy! lol
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't perspire unless I'm working REALLY hard or it is REALLY hot out and then it is just a little dampness on my forehead and under my arm pits. I exercise just fine, but I must say it is disheartening when I've just busted my bum and it doesn't look like it :P

But no, I've had this condition since I was a kid. When I'd go biking or be playing or whatever, I'd just turn really red in the face and my arms. My mom thought it was a sunburn until an hour later it was gone.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    my mom doesn't sweat.. she physically can't. And if she gets too warm, she has a seizure. I'm like that, to an extent, too.