burning 2,000 cal a day without working out

Options
Just finished my first shift waiting tables at my new job Sore all over, especially in the legs and upper arms! Speed walking and carrying weighs (food, dishes) for SIX HOURS.

Dead.

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's not often you get paid to exercise :P
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! It's a tough job (tougher than I thought! We do A LOT of work behind the scenes.) But when you're trying to get fit and shed pounds, you can't get a better deal than a moderate labor job with decent pay.

Remember everyone, always tip your waitress. : ) We work very hard to make your meal a delightful one (most of us, anyway.) Your tips pay our rent! We make far less than minimum wage from the company.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    if by 2000 you mean actually a lot closer to ~600-700 then you would be correct. the act of walking from waitressing only burns about 1-2 cal/min above BMR.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! It's a tough job (tougher than I thought! We do A LOT of work behind the scenes.) But when you're trying to get fit and shed pounds, you can't get a better deal than a moderate labor job with decent pay.

Remember everyone, always tip your waitress. : ) We work very hard to make your meal a delightful one (most of us, anyway.) Your tips pay our rent! We make far less than minimum wage from the company.

....I do not understand why people tip waitresses. We all work, and have jobs...a lot working with customers. Why doesn't everyone tip everyone?
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options

....I do not understand why people tip waitresses. We all work, and have jobs...a lot working with customers. Why doesn't everyone tip everyone?

But you'll be paid at least minimum wage for your job, while waitresses get paid less due to the tips they receive. I think waitresses here get paid less than $4/hour, while normal minimum wage for my state is $7.85. They need those tips to make up the discrepancy.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first shift waiting tables at my new job Sore all over, especially in the legs and upper arms! Speed walking and carrying weighs (food, dishes) for SIX HOURS.

Dead.

How did you arrive at that calorie burn? Is that just for your shift or your TDEE?
  • lisaelainee
    lisaelainee Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I get $25 an hour on fridays
    $27 an hour on saturdays
    and $29 an hour on sundays
    I feel sorry about the lack of money you get :(
    but I guess things in Australia are a lot more expensive, that's why we get so much.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Are you constantly walking and carrying dishes for 6 hours straight?

Walking one hour at 3 mph burns maybe 300 calories. Walking for 6 hours would burn 1800 calories. Then you also carried dishes the entire time. Yes, I can see how you burned 2000 calories. But this is still only considered your regular day. I go to the gym for 90 minutes, then I walk to my sons school there and back, walk to store. I walk pretty much every where. I am moving all day long. I don't consider that exercise. I don't log it.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Are you constantly walking and carrying dishes for 6 hours straight?

Walking one hour at 3 mph burns maybe 300 calories. Walking for 6 hours would burn 1800 calories. Then you also carried dishes the entire time. Yes, I can see how you burned 2000 calories. But this is still only considered your regular day. I go to the gym for 90 minutes, then I walk to my sons school there and back, walk to store. I walk pretty much every where. I am moving all day long. I don't consider that exercise. I don't log it.
    I was going to say, those figures include your BMR.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

At least in my state, waitresses can be paid as little as something like 4 dollars an hour. Their tips go toward their paycheck, and if they don't have enough the company has to make up the difference only up to minimum wage. Waitresses should be paid a lot more than minimum wage.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I waitressed for 9 months and Monday-Thursday I was the only server from 7AM-3PM. I had to open the front end of the restaurant, cashier, barista, wait tables, bus tables, and do dishes. I lost 10 pounds in a month through a combination of moving around and being too poor to afford food. I was much thinner back then too.

Now I am always sure to tip as follows

Horrendous service-10%
    Decent service-15%
    Good service-20%
    Excellent service 25%+

Also, I hate when people blame you for the kitchen messing up their food. If the server is nice (as most are as they are trying to save and hope for a minimum tip) and they go above and beyond to make it up to me, I tip higher.

Oh and remember, you tip on the total bill, not the bill after comps and coupons. And if you split the check don't expect someone else to "make up for your tip" I had a table of 12 ladies age 50+ who were very wealthy women and they all left 1$, and had separate checks. It was not worth the effort I had to put into it by myself.

Anyway, I would still work out when you can because your body will eventually get used to the work and since you do it every day, it is more how your lifestyle should be set (moderately active as opposed to light or sedentary) than counted as a workout.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    Yes, we are walking at a quick pace and carrying dishes the entire 6 hours, with momentary pauses to take orders (less than 3 mins). There are no breaks, and we have a "full hands in and out of the kitchen, you should always be looping the restaurant or kitchen" policy. Where I work we don't have have just one section of tables; we have one section to greet and take care of checks but we bring food, drinks, and bus tables through the entire restaurant.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    We're paid $2.25/h, where minimum wage here is $7.25 (also the federal minimum.) Tips are expected, which is why they can pay us so little. They are not legally responsible to pay us any more than $2.25/h, so we rely on tips for a fair wage.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    We're paid $2.25/h, where minimum wage here is $7.25 (also the federal minimum.) Tips are expected, which is why they can pay us so little. They are not legally responsible to pay us any more than $2.25/h, so we rely on tips for a fair wage.

Actually, they ARE expected to pay you up to minimum wage...they just don't tell you that. No one told me until I'd been working there for a few months. It was why my boss only wanted us to tip up to minimum wage...save us on taxes and kept him from having to pay us more. I usually made 10$ an hour in tips and we were paid 3.65 so it was actually the best paying job I ever had.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Yes, we are walking at a quick pace and carrying dishes the entire 6 hours, with momentary pauses to take orders (less than 3 mins). There are no breaks, and we have a "full hands in and out of the kitchen, you should always be looping the restaurant or kitchen" policy. Where I work we don't have have just one section of tables; we have one section to greet and take care of checks but we bring food, drinks, and bus tables through the entire restaurant.

Hehe, I believe you. I worked at an extremely popular Italian restaurant in high school. I lost 13 pounds in less than 2 months and I ate the same foods as I did before getting hired -- if anything I was eating more.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Actually, they ARE expected to pay you up to minimum wage...they just don't tell you that. No one told me until I'd been working there for a few months. It was why my boss only wanted us to tip up to minimum wage...save us on taxes and kept him from having to pay us more. I usually made 10$ an hour in tips and we were paid 3.65 so it was actually the best paying job I ever had.

Actually it depends on your state -- many do not legally require payment over 2.25.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Horrendous service-10%
    Decent service-15%
    Good service-20%
    Excellent service 25%+

Also, I hate when people blame you for the kitchen messing up their food. If the server is nice (as most are as they are trying to save and hope for a minimum tip) and they go above and beyond to make it up to me, I tip higher.

I gotta admit, if the waitress/waiter is awful (and I mean as in, being a real ***** or a real jerk) I tip them a face-down penny. This has only happened 2 times in my life.
    People don't understand there is a difference between slow/poor service and the server being bad. Sometimes they are really busy, and I can understand that. So even when I get service most people would say gets 15, I tip 20. If you're really good, you can usually expect a 50% tip. Decent ones get 20 to 25%.

ETA: One of the times I tipped a penny, was when I went out to an Applebees for a going away party with a few friends. We were one of three tables there. The restaurant was very open, so you could see them walking out of the kitchen, etc. They went by these little service buzzers where it would send them a page if we pressed a button. We pressed it three times the entire meal. The first was when she took our drink orders and never came back. For twenty minutes. We were literally looking right at her, she was just sitting at the bar. When we pressed it, we all watched her roll her eyes. The second was after she set down our drinks and left without taking our order, and my friend found a bug in his drink. She rolled her eyes again. When he asked for a new drink she glared at him and said "There's no bug in there." He literally picked it up and showed it to her and she said, "That's not a bug." ...it doesn't ****ing matter, there should be anything in his drink! So she replaced it after more eye rolling. The third was after we finally got our meals, and we were done eating and drinking (she not once refilled anyone's drinks) and then we waited another 30 minutes before we rang to get the check (mind you, the whole time she is sitting at the bar, flirting with the bartender.) More eye rolling. We decided as a group that she wasn't getting a tip, and as we were leaving I decided if she wanted to a *****, I would too, so I left her a penny in the middle of the table, face down. lol
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    One of the best jobs I ever had was working at an animal shelter. I walked dogs for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. The dogs were cooped up in kennels for most of the day so it wasn't actually walking....more like running! In between we worked our butts off scrubbing kennels. I have no idea how many calories I burned but boy was I in great shape by the time I quit the job!! Left for a better paying job because it was minimum wage and no tips.....like many, many jobs :)
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    2.13 when i first started, of course, doing my high school job, that was 20 years ago, but my friend has a teenager and it hasnt gone up from there. i even tip the waiters and waitresses at buffets that only bring me drinks. the chefs that fix my food at this mongolian restaurant fix it right in front of you. im vegan so they went out of their way. that deserves a tip in itself.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I get $25 an hour on fridays
    $27 an hour on saturdays
    and $29 an hour on sundays
    I feel sorry about the lack of money you get :(
    but I guess things in Australia are a lot more expensive, that's why we get so much.

It depends on the country. In countries where it's customary to tip, waitresses get paid less and vice versa.

I started working in a liquor store a month and a half ago, and that's actually pretty hard labor as well. A whoooooooole hell of a lot tougher than I thought! Carrying cases of liquor that weigh 40-50 pounds, squatting down/reaching up to stock shelves, walking around all day, etc, is really difficult! I've been curious what my average calorie burn is for a 9 hour day (8 hours of work + 1 hour lunch)