burning 2,000 cal a day without working out

Options
2»

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! It's a tough job (tougher than I thought! We do A LOT of work behind the scenes.) But when you're trying to get fit and shed pounds, you can't get a better deal than a moderate labor job with decent pay.

Remember everyone, always tip your waitress. : ) We work very hard to make your meal a delightful one (most of us, anyway.) Your tips pay our rent! We make far less than minimum wage from the company.

....I do not understand why people tip waitresses. We all work, and have jobs...a lot working with customers. Why doesn't everyone tip everyone?

At least in my state, waitresses can be paid as little as something like 4 dollars an hour. Their tips go toward their paycheck, and if they don't have enough the company has to make up the difference only up to minimum wage. Waitresses should be paid a lot more than minimum wage.

I tip LOTS of people aside from waitresses/waiters: aestheticians, maids, doormen, gas attendants, drivers... if somebody is SERVING you, you should probably acknowledge that is worth the something. These people are frequently underpaid and over worked. It's not just a matter of dealing with the public, it's a matter of not making enough to live on unless you NEVER have an off moment and forgot a straw. If you don't like to tip, stay home and make your own food, cut your own hair, clean your own house, and run your own errands.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Are you constantly walking and carrying dishes for 6 hours straight?

Walking one hour at 3 mph burns maybe 300 calories. Walking for 6 hours would burn 1800 calories. Then you also carried dishes the entire time. Yes, I can see how you burned 2000 calories. But this is still only considered your regular day. I go to the gym for 90 minutes, then I walk to my sons school there and back, walk to store. I walk pretty much every where. I am moving all day long. I don't consider that exercise. I don't log it.

Like I said, yeah we are constantly walking and carrying dishes, all six hours. No breaks, no empty hands, no stops (aside from briefly taking orders which takes less than three minutes.) My body is nowhere near used to this kind of effort, so I'm not going to change my activity level yet, though I will when I get stronger and adjust. I went ahead and looked to see how it would change my calorie goals to raise my activity level on MFP, and the change was about the same as if I were to log my walking and lifting per hour.

I don't want to be rude, but walking your kids to school and going to the store are nowhere near the activity level of waiting and bussing tables. Anyway, whether or not you log your daily activities as exercise, your body is using energy and burning calories the same way it would doing the same level of activity in the gym. You can not consider it exercise, but your body does.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My husband is a server in a fine dining steakhouse, and can be on his feet for up to 12 hours a day, not including walking to and from the train (a mile each way). He lost 30 lbs in less than a year, and lets just say there's a reason *I* am on the site and not him... we eat the same food (I even eat much smaller portions) but I work a desk job. He says he has to keep working there or he's going to have to join MFP too! I believe you, trust me!!

Get some Epsom salts and wash your feet every night, you'll feel AMAZING. It just feels so good to soak and massage your feet after a long day, even if you don't take a full shower. Its super rejuvenating.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    My husband is a server in a fine dining steakhouse, and can be on his feet for up to 12 hours a day, not including walking to and from the train (a mile each way). He lost 30 lbs in less than a year, and lets just say there's a reason *I* am on the site and not him... we eat the same food (I even eat much smaller portions) but I work a desk job. He says he has to keep working there or he's going to have to join MFP too! I believe you, trust me!!

Get some Epsom salts and wash your feet every night, you'll feel AMAZING. It just feels so good to soak and massage your feet after a long day, even if you don't take a full shower. Its super rejuvenating.

Thank you, I will definitely take that advice. I'm pretty sore, but it's my feet that are killing me! I put them in a tub or warm water for a little bit and my fiance rubbed them with lotion (what a sweetheart) but they still feel quite sore and swollen.
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Whoa where do you people live? Waitresses make that little an hour? :sick: That's crazy, here waitresses make 9.80$ + tips an hour.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Whoa where do you people live? Waitresses make that little an hour? :sick: That's crazy, here waitresses make 9.80$ + tips an hour.

Welcome to 'Merica!
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options

Memphis, TN in the U.S.A.

We have one of the lowest costs of living, but unfortunately, also one of the lowest rates of pay in most professions.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Welcome to 'Merica!

Yep, Pennsylvania, 'Murrica
  • xFamousLastWordsx
    xFamousLastWordsx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    That just seems so ridiculously low., guess we do it differently in Canada.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

130213135732-chart-minimum-wage-global-620xa.gif

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/13/news/economy/minimum-wage-countries/index.html
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    Poor Beijing wait staff. :C
  • bregalad5
    Options
    Non-Americans might also find this fascinating (from the NY Times)

485282_529832640390870_1998792378_n.png

ETA: we don't have it as good as people think we do in terms of work situations...
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Thank you, I will definitely take that advice. I'm pretty sore, but it's my feet that are killing me! I put them in a tub or warm water for a little bit and my fiance rubbed them with lotion (what a sweetheart) but they still feel quite sore and swollen.

It's so rough. The feet take the brunt of the work. I should have clarified, the epsom salts are for soaking, massage/scrub your feet with your favorite gel or wash and then soak for a few minutes, you'll feel better. :) And definitely get your fiance involved, haha, its very nice :wink:
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Horrendous service-10%
    Decent service-15%
    Good service-20%
    Excellent service 25%+

Also, I hate when people blame you for the kitchen messing up their food. If the server is nice (as most are as they are trying to save and hope for a minimum tip) and they go above and beyond to make it up to me, I tip higher.

I gotta admit, if the waitress/waiter is awful (and I mean as in, being a real ***** or a real jerk) I tip them a face-down penny. This has only happened 2 times in my life.
    People don't understand there is a difference between slow/poor service and the server being bad. Sometimes they are really busy, and I can understand that. So even when I get service most people would say gets 15, I tip 20. If you're really good, you can usually expect a 50% tip. Decent ones get 20 to 25%.

ETA: One of the times I tipped a penny, was when I went out to an Applebees for a going away party with a few friends. We were one of three tables there. The restaurant was very open, so you could see them walking out of the kitchen, etc. They went by these little service buzzers where it would send them a page if we pressed a button. We pressed it three times the entire meal. The first was when she took our drink orders and never came back. For twenty minutes. We were literally looking right at her, she was just sitting at the bar. When we pressed it, we all watched her roll her eyes. The second was after she set down our drinks and left without taking our order, and my friend found a bug in his drink. She rolled her eyes again. When he asked for a new drink she glared at him and said "There's no bug in there." He literally picked it up and showed it to her and she said, "That's not a bug." ...it doesn't ****ing matter, there should be anything in his drink! So she replaced it after more eye rolling. The third was after we finally got our meals, and we were done eating and drinking (she not once refilled anyone's drinks) and then we waited another 30 minutes before we rang to get the check (mind you, the whole time she is sitting at the bar, flirting with the bartender.) More eye rolling. We decided as a group that she wasn't getting a tip, and as we were leaving I decided if she wanted to a *****, I would too, so I left her a penny in the middle of the table, face down. lol

Wow, it sounds like we had the same Applebees waitress. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary at Applebees and our waitress didn't even stop at our table for 15 minutes. She only had one table and they were 4 older people and I could tell she thought she'd get the best tip from them so she was hamming it up. She finally took our drink order and after 20 more minutes, we had yet to see our drinks so when the manager came by and asked why we had no drinks I told him our waitress was downright ignoring us. He apologized and said he would be serving our table. He was fantastic. He gave us free dessert and our drinks free so on what would have been a 45$ bill and a 10$ tip, I left 5$ and a note that said it was for the manager and his excellent service as he saved our experience and that our waitress should be more conscientious of her other tables. I'm sure he gave it to her as he makes a lot more money, but I wanted him to know we appreciated the hard work because he could have just lectured her to pay attention to us. It was hilarious when she came to check on us after our food (the first time we'd seen her at our table since we got drinks) and he came by and told her not to worry about it. He wouldn't even let her talk to us.
  • ashlinmarie
    Options

130213135732-chart-minimum-wage-global-620xa.gif

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/13/news/economy/minimum-wage-countries/index.html

Japan may not have a minimum wage, but even McDonalds employees make close to 15$ on Okinawa. Also, it is not customary to tip in Japan.

You should always check before you visit a country...I get so mad when foreigners act like they don't know what tipping is...and maybe they don't, but it is polite to RESEARCH it before visiting. Like in France, tips are usually included in the bill and I can't say 100%, but I've heard if you tip more that it goes to the restaurant, not the server. Some cultures find it insulting and others only tip for certain services.
  • bregalad5
    Options
    Japan may not have a minimum wage, but even McDonalds employees make close to 15$ on Okinawa. Also, it is not customary to tip in Japan.

Yeah, in a previous post I mentioned it depends on the custom of the country. I always research because I don't want to be rude, but... nevermind, I won't go on a rant here :happy:
  • ashlinmarie
    Options

Yeah, in a previous post I mentioned it depends on the custom of the country. I always research because I don't want to be rude, but... nevermind, I won't go on a rant here :happy:

I know how it is! I'm glad I found out though...some of the older people can be really insulted if you tip them...it is seen as a pity thing more than a payment. I feel bad because commissaries work by having baggers who work for tips only and with 90% of them being Japanese.......yeah....I don't get how they make enough because I doubt most of the spouses tip as well as I do after they buy 300-400$ worth of groceries.