Am I losing wieght too fast?

Options
Hi
I have been on MFP for a month, I have something like 80 pounds to lose to reach a normal BMI. In the last month i have lost 18 am i over doing it or is this normal and i'll level off to the 2 pounds an week that MFP program aims for?

Replies

• timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Seems like the first month you always loose a lot (because I think the first bit of weight is water)...then the weight loss will slow....just my opinion...no way an expert, but hope this helps....you should be fine!! :smile:
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Great job in the first month!!:drinker: You will normally lose a lot more weight when you first start mainly excessive water weight so don't get discouraged when the numbers slow down and also since you have 80lbs to lose you may still experience a weightloss a lil more than 2lbs a week and that will be ok

I wish you well on your journey!!:flowerforyou:
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    you will remember this wistfully in a couple weeks! congratulations on getting off to a great start. just be prepared psychologically for it to taper or drop off, cause it's coming...just enjoy your success for right now!
  • liltommysmommy
    Options
    Congrats that is awesome! I lost more than 2 pounds a week when I started dieting and now it has def slowed down. You are doing a GREAT job though!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    you always lose fast at first.. Then you have to work harder to lose the poundage as time goes on... Good job!:drinker:
  • sweetgal2301
    sweetgal2301 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to lose weight faster on your first month. At first most of it will be water weight as well. And then your body will plateau the weight loss ... at this point you have to change your diet to probably eat more (to trcik your body to think that food is plenty) ... and up the amount of exercise. You will be frustrated when you gtet to this point (as I am right now) ... when the scale does not budge. So enjoy the weight loss while it lasts :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I lost 17lb my first month, 13 the second, then 11, 7, 8 and 2 after that. At that point I decided to switch to maintenance for awhile and revisit the last 10-15 lbs somewhere down the road.

If you are staying focused on eating the right foods, managing intake, balanced diet, good exercise program, etc., then "losing too much" in the first month should not be a concern. It's a good thing.