? Fiber

Options
timbotina
timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
I have been tring to add a lot of fiber to my diet so I won't be as hungry...but when I do, the MFP diary says I am over....is that a bad thing or good thing....has anyone heard of to high fiber being a bad thing???? Looking for any help, thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    From what my Dr and nutritionist told me an adult needs 30-35 g of fiber a day. MFP has mine at only 25. How much are you going over?
  • timbotina
    Options
    From what my Dr and nutritionist told me an adult needs 30-35 g of fiber a day. MFP has mine at only 25. How much are you going over?

about an average of 10...when I see I am close to going over....it kind of prevents me from eating more fiber....I will sometimes go for a fiber bar is I am hungry to try and fill the void....so I guess going over by about 10 (I think MFP gives me 25 also)....will be about good with your Dr. and nutrit....thanks for the help!!:happy:
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Let your tummy guide you. If you are not having any gastro problems you are probably within a healthy range for you. :flowerforyou:
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    When I get anything less than my 30 per day I have . . . ahem . . . stomach problems for a few days. I have to keep metamucil around and make sure Im consistently "over". I find that MFP does have this set a bit low.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    MFP usually sets it to about 15g which is extremely low. I feel best when I consistently get 30g from nuts, seeds, and natural foods.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I take something called Psyllium Husks Powder.. It has about 8-9 grams of fiber in every rounded teaspoon and it's completely natural. I take it twice a day to help me boost up my fiber intake.. You can find it from Yerba Prima.. Or I have found it at walmart.. It's called Konsyl in the laxative section. Hope this helps. Good luck.

p.s. I put the rounded teaspoon in a glass of crystal light and choke it down.. That's the only way I've been able to take it.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :smile: I have increased the level of Fiber on MFP to 30g/day. It's quite acceptable to go higher. As Fab said, your tummy will guide you. In general our diets lack fiber.

:heart: Rebel:heart:
  • wolverinefactor
    Options
    What does fiber do for you exactly? my co-worker was harping I dont get enough. Glancing at my journal i get about 5-8g of fiber a day. If anyone could glance and maybe recommend something, maybe as a snack that'll up my fiber would eb awesome. I am avoiding sugar (for the most part) and my carbs are on the low side
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    What does fiber do for you exactly? my co-worker was harping I dont get enough. Glancing at my journal i get about 5-8g of fiber a day. If anyone could glance and maybe recommend something, maybe as a snack that'll up my fiber would eb awesome. I am avoiding sugar (for the most part) and my carbs are on the low side

Fiber does a lot for you but mainly it allows you to poop :happy: And that allows you lose weight because a lot of our extra weight is held as waste. If you don't get rid of it, you could get some serious health problems. Aim for 25-30g. You can get fiber in almonds, whole grains, other nuts & seeds, a little bit in meat, etc. You're probably not eating very healthy if you're only getting 5-8g a day.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, MFP is set way low for fiber. It only suggests 16 g. a day for me...and I'm a big girl! I try to eat lots of veggies and generally average around 30+ if I'm eating the right amount of fruits and veggies. Poor wolverine, I don't know how you go poo with only 5-8 g a day, but I'm sure you're not alone. My hubby is not a veggie eater so he'd probably be about the same, fiber intake-wise.
  • driver_10
    driver_10 Posts: 16
    Options

Fiber is important because it allows your GI tract to be cleaned of unwanted waste material. The fold of large intestine have spots where matter can get caught and stagnate. These putrifying materials release dangerous compounds that are absorbed into the lining of the intestine and cause a wide asortment of health issues (halitosis, acne, tumorous polyps etc). Bulk fiber cleans and mobilizes these "nasty spots" and keep the digestive tract clear. Eating more fiber will also reduce blood cholesteral since it has a "sponge" like nature.

If you want to have an easy way to increase your fiber intake, then I would suggest raw almonds. They have a lot of natural antioxidents and also promote healthy alkalinity levels. You can buy them cheaply at SAM'S wherehouse by the 1 lbs sack for about $11 bucks.

A good stategy is to keep them with you during work and snack on them throughout the day. Its also a good way to stave off cravings for unhealthy foods.

Try it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have been tring to add a lot of fiber to my diet so I won't be as hungry...but when I do, the MFP diary says I am over....is that a bad thing or good thing....has anyone heard of to high fiber being a bad thing???? Looking for any help, thanks in advance :smile:

I think if you get too much fiber, you'll know.
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

An interesting exercise is to google Bristol stool chart and gaze at the exciting images therein... fibre is usually instrumental in putting your number twos in the number three or four category, the meaning of which you will understand when you see the chart.

For me, although I don't eat much rice now, changing from white to brown (apart from anything else, non-processed foods are generally higher in fibre) greatly improved the consistency of how often I went to the loo and the results thereof.
  • timbotina
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your inputs....I won't worry...and I will continue to up my fiber then....Thanks!!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I eat well over 35 grams/day because I've been horribly irregular most of my life. Just make sure you get PLENTY of water during the day as well...
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Where does MFP record your fiber intake. I don't see that on my page but would love to have it. Howdo I get that?
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ladybugss: click on My Home then on Settings, and you'll see where you can change which nutrients you want to track.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Where does MFP record your fiber intake. I don't see that on my page but would love to have it. Howdo I get that?

on the food tab go to settings and you can pick what you want to see everyday.
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Primary reason you are not getting enough fiber is that you don't have any whole grains or veggies, and not enough fruit, IMO.