How can I stay under 200 pounds?

Options
I'm trying to lose weight, and I've made it down about 15 pounds already. I currently weigh 205.6, and I want to get under 200, but every time I have made it down to 200, I go back up to about 210. I don't stop calorie counting or exercising, and I don't reward myself by eating cake/candy etc. for making it under 200, either.

It's like my body is rejecting it, and I'm really getting discouraged. I've made it to 196 about seven times now. :( I want to stay! What can I do to help myself STAY under 200 when I get back down?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It could be your body telling you that under 200 is not sustainable for you. Without knowing anything about you your height, sex and your calorie goal and being able to see your food diary it's difficult to judge.
  • xXMisstifyXx
    Options
    I'm female, 18, 5'0" and my calorie goal is 1000-1200. I haven't actually used the food diary much, usually I just calculate it up and write it down in an actual book.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm female, 18, 5'0" and my calorie goal is 1000-1200. I haven't actually used the food diary much, usually I just calculate it up and write it down in an actual book.

What are you using to get your calorie counts for your food?

I would suggest logging here 100% of the time. Be consistent for 2 months - log EVERY single day, every bite you eat.

I'm guessing that you won't have a problem with your weight bouncing around as much if you can see what you are really eating.

Also, be aware of other things that can affect your weight: your hormonal cycle, too much sodium, muscles retaining fluid from exercise, etc.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

You're not eating enough.

According to the Fat to fit calculator your BMR is 1722 cals a day and even if you do nothing all day - which I doubt. your TDEE is 2066.

You should actually be eating somewhere between the two.

I would slowly increase your calories to 1800 a day - Log everything properly, do some cardio and if you can add in some weights to help keep your muscle mass.

Do this for at least 6 weeks and then see how your body is reacting - take measurements as well as weight yourself ans don't freak out if you gain at little at first - your body is starving on 1200 or less so it will take w while for it to sort itself out.

FYI - I'm 5'2 and eating 1600-1800 a day and losing. You don't have to go so low - it's not healthy and as you've found out it often doesn't work. :flowerforyou:
  • xXMisstifyXx
    Options
    I'm using the counter here, at myfitnesspal. I write it out because I have bad handwriting and it helps me practice, and I felt like it would help me see what I'm eating better, but maybe I'll do both. I've actually been counting since October of 2012, but I've only been a member since December.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When I what is at that 200 pounds level I faught like hell to get under. :explode: It was sooooo hard. You should get focused. Stay strong and you will get through this plateu. I was over 200 lbs for 10+ yrs. You can get under and when you do STAY UNDER! I have for almost 6 yrs. Fight, fight, fight:angry::flowerforyou:
  • xXMisstifyXx
    Options
    My doctor told me that I should eat 800 calories a day, but I thought that was too low, so I actually pumped it up to 1000-1200. Maybe I shouldn't listen to my doctor about this anymore... :/
  • desnamjp
    desnamjp Posts: 6
    Options
    How is your exercise routine? If you are very active and is not eating enough calories, you will not loose weight. Also, if you are exercising then you may need to change up your routine a bit
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options

According to the Fat to fit calculator your BMR is 1722 cals a day and even if you do nothing all day - which I doubt. your TDEE is 2066.

I would slowly increase your calories to 1800 a day - Log everything properly, do some cardio and if you can add in some weights to help keep your muscle mass.

Do this for at least 6 weeks and then see how your body is reacting - take measurements as well as weight yourself ans don't freak out if you gain at little at first - your body is starving on 1200 or less so it will take w while for it to sort itself out.

FYI - I'm 5'2 and eating 1600-1800 a day and losing. You don't have to go so low - it's not healthy and as you've found out it often doesn't work. :flowerforyou:

This.
  • nsalerno90
    Options

I absolutely agree. I am hovering just over 200 lbs now, after losing 29 to get there -- and I am having trouble breaking through as well. But I know that as soon as I reduce calories too much - especially protein, don't drink enough water and don't find the time to lift weights - that I begin to go up. You body will readjust but right now it thinks you are starving it - and you are. Eat more good food -- greens, vegetables, lean protein, nuts and drown yourself in water and see where you are in two weeks. Good luck -- I know the frustration but you can do this.
  • losbeatlesmolan
    Options
    just keep trying - you'll get there sooner or later ;)
  • xXMisstifyXx
    Options
    How is your exercise routine? If you are very active and is not eating enough calories, you will not loose weight. Also, if you are exercising then you may need to change up your routine a bit

Just found the quote button! That'll make things easier. :)

I do at least two 45 minute martial arts classes each week, and I walk for about 30 minutes 2-3 times a week.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that I should eat 800 calories a day, but I thought that was too low, so I actually pumped it up to 1000-1200. Maybe I shouldn't listen to my doctor about this anymore... :/

Maybe you should listen to your doctor he knows you better than anyone on here. If need be ask him for a referral to a dietician.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Holy crap - get a new Dr now!

Edit - most Dr's have no training in eating or nutrition. You'll screw up your metabolism eating that low.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Just found the quote button! That'll make things easier. :)

I do at least two 45 minute martial arts classes each week, and I walk for about 30 minutes 2-3 times a week.

Defo not eating enough.
  • xXMisstifyXx
    Options

Edit - most Dr's have no training in eating or nutrition. You'll screw up your metabolism eating that low.

Well that was the first time I ever went to that doctor, and I've seen him once since then. I *had* been eating around 1600-1800 when I saw him, and was actually gaining weight, which is why he told me to go lower, but I didn't have confidence in him yet so I raised the number that he originally gave me. I figured he would be okay since he is a diabetes doctor (I went to him because diabetes runs in my family on both sides, I thankfully do not have it) and I've never had problems with doctors that specialize in diabetes.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Well that was the first time I ever went to that doctor, and I've seen him once since then. I *had* been eating around 1600-1800 when I saw him, and was actually gaining weight, which is why he told me to go lower, but I didn't have confidence in him yet so I raised the number that he originally gave me. I figured he would be okay since he is a diabetes doctor (I went to him because diabetes runs in my family on both sides, I thankfully do not have it) and I've never had problems with doctors that specialize in diabetes.

Honestly I'd go back up to 1700 and log everything religiously for 6 weeks, also take measurements and photos. Then see how your body is then. It may take a while to find the calories point you need to lose - but I'd bet my cats that 1200 is too low and 800 is just stupid.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

There are a lot of red flags here for me.

1. Your doctor said to eat 800 cals - is he/she one of those "weight loss" doctors. Are you also taking injections or pills?
    2. You're weight is bouncing around a lot - are you binging?
    3. You're working on your handwriting - how old are you really?

I think you need to get a new doctor and evaluate your weight loss plan. You don't have to take anything to lose weight. You don't have to starve either.
    And enter your food in the diary here. Find another way to work on your handwriting.
  • Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Question for you...do you eat breakfast?

I know many members here will say that when you eat your calories doesn't matter. But I know that my husband and I both struggle with a very different metabolism (for a lot of reasons). And I suspect that part of his problem is that he consistently skips breakfast. He eats less than I do overall, but still seems to gain weight. I know some of this is the types of foods he eats. But I believe wholeheartedly that if he began eating breakfast regularly, things would change for him.

It's important to keep your body fed throughout the day.
  • xXMisstifyXx
    Options

There are a lot of red flags here for me.

1. Your doctor said to eat 800 cals - is he/she one of those "weight loss" doctors. Are you also taking injections or pills?
    2. You're weight is bouncing around a lot - are you binging?
    3. You're working on your handwriting - how old are you really?

I think you need to get a new doctor and evaluate your weight loss plan. You don't have to take anything to lose weight. You don't have to starve either.
    And enter your food in the diary here. Find another way to work on your handwriting.

He said 800, he is a diabetes doctor. I am not taking any pills or injections. Just regular vitamins.
    I am not binging, but I used to, I used to be a competitive dancer. I would eat a ton of food some days, and then others I wouldn't eat at all. That went on for about 4 years.
    And I'm 18, I just have bad handwriting.