Why I love to run!

Options
Hi guys, I wrote a post about why I love to run and what amazing benefits it has for my life. Please read it and feel free to leave a comment, I appreciate it.

http://katehibberd.blogspot.com/2013/04/why-i-love-to-run.html

Replies

• bli77
    bli77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great blog! Congrats on all the running success! I, myself started running seriously 1 year ago and I can't stop! Love it!! Just like you said, can't explain why I love it except for the self satisfaction and the runner's high I get after competing in races. Keep on running!
  • kate4j27
    kate4j27 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thats great! I started just under a year ago and also cant get enough! I also love to compete in races. Always feels so fab at the end.. I really enjoy the 10K's :) I've done a 21 but sticking to the 10's for now.. Going to work on breaking 53 minutes.. What type of race distances do you do ?
  • Txracy
    Txracy Posts: 78
    Options
    Great description! I never realized it until I read it, but yeah, I LOVE the solitude when I'm off pounding pavement. It is my own space that no one else can intrude upon, and I need it to unwind from the normal chaos of my life (I have 4 kids... 5 if you count my husband LOL). And the runner's high? No drug can compete with that. It's a fantastic feeling. I feel powerful, strong, fast... and it doesn't matter if I was plodding along at 4.5 mph or sprinting. I feel like a rock star when I run, no matter what. And it's helped with me learning to accept my body even if it's not the "ideal" I wish I had, because it's hard to feel bad about your body when it's so incredibly functional, and I see the things I can do and I feel like, "It's alright that I don't look perfect, because I am fast, fit, strong, and can run laps around some of those so-called perfect women!" It's becoming less and less important for my body to be "decorative" if that makes sense. (It also makes me less moody, and improve my emotional well-being in general, which has helped tremendously with my depression).

I'm recovering from "runner's knee", but I'm determined to run my first race which is a 5K (I signed up for one in June, woo hoo!), and so far my time is around 35 minutes, which isn't bad, considering I am undergoing physical therapy (I broke my pelvis in a car accident a few years back, and it's caused me some issues with proper gait, which led to some minor knee pain, but it's slowly diminishing as I strengthen my muscles). My husband tried running with me once, and couldn't believe that the speed I was going at was my "physical therapy speed", and laughed that he couldn't keep up even when I'm injured LOL.

I am actually kind of bummed I didn't sign up for a 10K instead, because I think I'm naturally inclined toward running longer distances. I don't seem to experience muscle fatigue that much when I run, and I seem to have a lot of endurance for being a beginner, and I've been known to accidentally run WAY farther than I intended because I get caught up in the run, and next thing you know, my 3-4 mile run turned into 7. Whoops.
  • kate4j27
    kate4j27 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey Txracy.. I've also had a little case of runners knee recently. Not a nice feeling but its so common. So hopefully it'll get better ASAP. Sorry to hear about the broken pelvis, and the damage it has caused but it clearly hasnt stopped you from running. Also well done on signing up for the 5K, you'll enjoy it. Don't feel bummed about not signing up for the 10K, there will be plenty more for you to make up for it. Good luck with your 5!
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options
    Kate, nice blog post,

I'm a little older than you ladies that have posted so far, but I know exactly how you all feel about running. I too only started just over a year ago and I'm in love. Done one 5K with my son when I was home on leave and hope to slowly work my way up to a Marathon one day.

You ladies take care of those injuries so you can keep going with the running, all that way down the road:)
  • bpcreel
    bpcreel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know this is a semi old post but I ran for the first time today and I have fallen in love with it. I never had the right shoes for running and in the past when I tried to run, It hurt so badly I couldn't continue. So I thought I would never be a runner! I got a new pair of running shoes for Christmas from my husband and used them today for the first time! I can run pain free and now I am hooked. I can't wait to go out again tomorrow. Your blog really spoke to me and I enjoyed reading it! :-)