Salmon and Fat

Options
Salmon is my favorite dinner. I usually bake it, and there is a layer of fat that forms at the top.

Now I just eat it, because it's delicious. How many calories do you suppose I could save scraping some of that off? (A standard 6oz serving)

Not something I usually fuss about, but just got curious.

Replies

• diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Weigh it. Whatever the mass is in grams, multiply by 9.

But you don't want to actually do that. Fish oils are extremely rich in DHA, which is critical to brain health, inflammation management, and healthy cell membranes in general.

Don't skimp on the fish-derived fats.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Totally agree - salmon is very rich in omega 3 and 6, so the fat is actually really beneficial to your body. If you wanted a lower fat fish option, you're better going for canned tuna or baking a white fish such as cod/tilapia etc.
  • spaghetti93
    spaghetti93 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    it''st the good fat. It's worth eating. Unless you just don't like the taste of it or something, leave it on.
  • JackiLean
    JackiLean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this post.

Salmon. It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I wasn't really planning on skipping out on it. But it'd be good to know if I am having a particularly high fat day.

Tonight was salmon, with avocado and tomatoes.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Eat ALL the salmons! Nature's perfect food!

I wanna spend my next life as a BEAR!!!
  • currlee
    currlee Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Sounds so yummy right now! I can't wait for this summer to go fishing. I want to fill my freezer with salmon!! Sockeye..yum!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Salmon is my favorite dinner. I usually bake it, and there is a layer of fat that forms at the top.

Now I just eat it, because it's delicious. How many calories do you suppose I could save scraping some of that off? (A standard 6oz serving)

Not something I usually fuss about, but just got curious.
    It's not fat that comes to the top and forms, it's protein, and an indication the fish was overcooked.
  • mamamia29
    mamamia29 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the white substance is a sign that the salmon has been overcooked!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I wasn't really planning on skipping out on it. But it'd be good to know if I am having a particularly high fat day.

Weigh it. Even though it's good fat, it still has the same number of calories. If you're including avocado, it does appear that you're having a high fat day. If you can make the calories work by adjusting the portions, it's not a big deal.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Those are not the types of fat that you need to be skipping. Eliminate other, unhealthy sources of fat.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Eat ALL the salmons! Nature's perfect food!

cept for all that damn mercury...
  • HennaSP
    HennaSP Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Salmon is so delicious! As for the fat...A lot of studies have shown that eating fish is more effective at lowering cholesterol than taking fish oil tablets (go figure), and that fat is part of the reason. It's got a lot of HDL (good cholesterol) that promotes heart health. The same type of fat is in avocados and walnuts. It's great for cooking because you don't need to add so much extra butter and oil to help it cook. I marinate mine in balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, fresh mint leaves, and fresh orange slices.