Quiting hCG Diet

Options

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You can find studies to back up whatever opinion you have....just sayin....... :flowerforyou:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    People can and will do whatever they please. That said, having a guidebook doesn't necessarily make something effective. Doing "research" should mean reading medical journals and not just the popular press about a diet. Have you read any published, peer-reviewed, placebo-controlled, double-blind studies that show the HCG hormone to effective in weight loss?

Here you go, for anyone interested:

Chorionic Gonadotropin in Weight Control
    A Double-Blind Crossover Study
    Lt Col Robert L. Young, MC, USAF; Robert J. Fuchs, MS; Myron J. Woltjen, MD
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/236/22/2495.pdf

This one is also a good read, highlighting various effects of the Minnesota study.
    http://www.possibility.com/wiki/index.php?title=EffectsOfSemiStarvation
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    Why oh why won't these stupid hCG threads ever end. They are like a migraine....annoying and painful. Unless there is well documented research done to prove that this hormone (I'll assume it's a synthetic product) is safe for non-pregnant people then maybe it will be accepted by the medical communtiy. Furthermore, since it is a pregnancy hormone, why is it that women are always trying to lose the baby weight? If it was that wonderful, no woman who gives birth would be over weight.

As long as people believe it and the demand is there, it will continue to exist, unfortunately.

Rest assured though, in a few months, there will be a new fad diet trend that will trump HCG. :)
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    People can and will do whatever they please. That said, having a guidebook doesn't necessarily make something effective. Doing "research" should mean reading medical journals and not just the popular press about a diet. Have you read any published, peer-reviewed, placebo-controlled, double-blind studies that show the HCG hormone to effective in weight loss?

Great article. Blinded RCTs are pretty much the gold standard for research and not surprisingly, not the kind of research most people trying to sell you something are using. For anyone that didn't read the article it found that not only was there no difference in weight loss between those taking HCG and those taking a placebo but also no difference in change in skinfold thickness (ie body fat lost).
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Essentially what HCG does is release the thousands of calories a day that your body has stored up in abnormal fat deposits. Your body doesn't go into starvation mode because the 500-calorie diet only there to supplement the intake your body is supplying itself. As I've said many times in other threads here, the program was designed by an MD in Italy. His name is Dr. ATW Simeons and his guidebook is in the public domain and widely available in PDF format for free on the internet. Please read and educate yourself before you dismiss something that you really have no idea about.

I'm sure I'll probably regret jumping on this thread and, frankly, I don't give a crap one way or another about HCG. People can and will do whatever they please. That said, having a guidebook doesn't necessarily make something effective. Doing "research" should mean reading medical journals and not just the popular press about a diet. Have you read any published, peer-reviewed, placebo-controlled, double-blind studies that show the HCG hormone to effective in weight loss? And I mean one published in a medical journal and not only on an HCG-promoting website.

Yeah, me neither. Maybe you know of one. If so, point me to it because I would like to read it (I haven't scoured the medical journals, so maybe one actually does exist.)

But I did find one showing NO difference between a placebo group and a group given the hormone EXCEPT that the group given HCG reported higher levels of anxiety than the group given the placebo. Sounds swell. And also like a huge waste of money. But hey, to each his own.

The study I'm talking about was:

Greenway, F. L. "Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity: a critical assessment of the Simeons method." Western Journal of Medicine 127.6 (1977):461.

Abstract:
    Injections of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) have been claimed to aid in weight reduction by reducing hunger, and affecting mood as well as aiding in localized (spot) reduction. We have tested these claims in a double-blind randomized trial using injections of HCG or placebo. Weight loss was identical between the two groups, and there was no evidence for differential effects on hunger, mood or localized body measurements. Placebo injections, therefore, appear to be as effective as HCG in the treatment of obesity.

Thank you! So.........where can I find this "placebo" thing to which you refer?

:wink:

edit to add: I had no idea this has been around since before 1977!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Thanks! So, I've now seen two showing NO difference whatsoever between HCG and placebo and I haven't seen a any showing that HCG actually does anything for weight loss, except to remove some of that pesky cash people have in their wallets.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Thanks! So, I've now seen two showing NO difference whatsoever between HCG and placebo and I haven't seen a any showing that HCG actually does anything for weight loss, except to remove some of that pesky cash people having in their wallets.

I have to say that the only way I have seen that people lose weight, get healthy, lower body fat and get toned up is by hard work! Period. There are no shortcuts to healthy living. I see you must be like 2% bf:wink: only joking.....LOVE the muscles:love:
    I also know it is from your hard work and dedication that you have achieved your weight loss goals.

All the excuses I have made, and still make (I am too old, my body fat will always include a jelly belly) are bunk. If I choose to eat cleaner still................and exercise harder and longer.........I will lose weight and tone up my muscles.

I have seen the after effects later in life of VLCD...........

Also, I have seen what happens when you have an emergency at almost 50........and they wisk you into surgery because your healthy.

I can tell you this......because I asked the cardiologist.......IF I had been on a VLCD I would NOT have been a canidate for the lesser invasive emergency surgery. He said I would have been in the hospital for another week at least, then re-assessed to see if they could do it. In the meantime I ran a high risk of throwing a clot and having a stroke.

I did not get further into it with the doctor, but needless to say none of us know when or if an emergency situation will occur and I am very thankful my body was in good shape when it did!

Just food for thought......:brokenheart: :heart: :heart: :drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Why oh why won't these stupid hCG threads ever end. They are like a migraine....annoying and painful. Unless there is well documented research done to prove that this hormone (I'll assume it's a synthetic product) is safe for non-pregnant people then maybe it will be accepted by the medical communtiy. Furthermore, since it is a pregnancy hormone, why is it that women are always trying to lose the baby weight? If it was that wonderful, no woman who gives birth would be over weight.

As long as people believe it and the demand is there, it will continue to exist, unfortunately.

Rest assured though, in a few months, there will be a new fad diet trend that will trump HCG. :)
    no doubt! ah, and we'll see it here!:grumble::laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I don't care if my post helps anyone or not. I don't stand on a hill looking down on people. And I aint here to make people feel good.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

• HealthyChanges2010
    Options

Also, I have seen what happens when you have an emergency at almost 50........and they wisk you into surgery because your healthy.

I can tell you this......because I asked the cardiologist.......IF I had been on a VLCD I would NOT have been a canidate for the lesser invasive emergency surgery. He said I would have been in the hospital for another week at least, then re-assessed to see if they could do it. In the meantime I ran a high risk of throwing a clot and having a stroke.

I did not get further into it with the doctor, but needless to say none of us know when or if an emergency situation will occur and I am very thankful my body was in good shape when it did!

Just food for thought......:brokenheart: :heart: :heart: :drinker:
    btw, you look great! Was looking at your profile photos, you've really worked hard and you look so healthy! The photo you had up of you and your daughter was priceless (she looked just like you, so I assumed that was your daughter?).

You're a great example of how MFP can work when you work it!
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • shawnalmil
    shawnalmil Posts: 137
    Options
    I know this isn't what a lot of people want to hear - but typically, slow and steady is best! I know it can be frustrating seeing slow weight loss, but think about this: 1 to 2 pounds a week = 52 to 104 pounds lost in a year! It will be so much better in the end to lose the weight through eating habits that you can keep up for the rest of your life. :flowerforyou: Good luck making this transition!
    well 500 cals isnt enough, and i would rather lose slowly than quick because when u lose quicker if ur like 50-200+ lbs over weight ull end up with saggy skin
  • fivefatcats
    fivefatcats Posts: 368
    Options
    For anyone who cares:

All I know is that I feel GREAT, physically and emotionally, and am losing weight. At 40, I am in the BEST HEALTH OF MY LIFE.

Honestly, I really don't care if HCG has anything to do with it or not. What I am learning is that I can be in control of what I eat, all the way down to 500 calories a day. And I do think that it takes the full 23+ days to drive it home. When I am done, I expect to be able to stop after eating a single bite of some fantastically calorie laden yummy treat instead of an entire serving, which I couldn't do before. I think of it as testing my willpower, and I am finally winning.

You bet America is the fattest nation on the planet. Many Americans have no willpower or sense of responsibility when it comes to their health and fitness. Besides, unhealthy food is cheap, easy, and fast.

I choose to regain control of my health and eating habits.

This fall, you will find me eating 1500-1800 healthy calories a day, running 3 days a week plus whatever other exercise I decide to add, and nibbling here and there on things that taste yummy but can no longer be a staple of my diet.
  • jelben
    jelben Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "Honestly, I really don't care if HCG has anything to do with it or not."

Why don't you try doing the diet without it then? It would be cheaper, and there would be less risk of hormonal side effects.

And now for something completely different...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/business/04unbox.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=habits&st=nyt&oref=slogin

A really interesting article which looks at how we can effectively create new (positive) habits - useful for anyone trying to eat and live right (i.e. all of us).
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    What does VLCD stand for? Well, while I'm asking what does hcg stand for as well?

Human chorionic gonadotropin or human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) is a glycoprotein hormone produced in pregnancy that is made by the developing embryo after conception and later by the syncytiotrophoblast (part of the placenta).[1] Its role is to prevent the disintegration of the corpus luteum of the ovary and thereby maintain progesterone production that is critical for a pregnancy in humans.

(Thanks, Wikipedia!!
    um ok

:noway: WOW...makes me feel better about the whole thing.....NOT.....:noway:
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    One of the 'risks' of HCG is supposedly ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome - here is another article with yet another point of view:

http://www.naturalcycle.org/PDFs/RB2843 Nargund.pdf

Also, many of the studies quoted by HCG naysayers discuss how "the FDA has not approved the use of HCG for weight loss" - however

"To be more precise, there are no clinical trials that support the benefits of hCG hormone in suppressing appetite, burning adipose tissues or decreasing discomfort associated with low calorie diet. " and no clinical trials that prove it doesn't work either. (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hcg-diet-dangers.html)

Someone posted earlier in the thread that you can find an article anywhere on the web to support your opinion, one way or the other, and I agree that is true.

I have spent less than $31 on HCG other than buying some different (not more expensive - just different) grocery items - so the expense is insignificant. And I am willing to read any study that gives evidence that HCG causes negative hormonal effects.

Why not try it without HCG? Whether or not I believe that the HCG released stored fat or resets the hypothalamus, I believe that taking it helps with hunger, and since it has not been disproven, I am willing to use the HCG in the hopes that it actually does help target stored fat loss rather than lean body tissue loss that may be lost on a VLCD.

Placebo or not, I am pleased with the results. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    jessiesgirl:

I was just wondering if the 7 lbs you lost stayed off or if they crept back on . . . and how you are doing now that you are (I assume) back to eating more?
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    First week of Phase 2: Lost 13.2 lbs.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I understand wanting to lose weight fast - doesn't everyone want a hot body - YESTERDAY. But, when you lose weight fast like that, don't you run the risk of having lots of extra skin hanging? I always thought that if you lost it slower, your skin has the chance to slowing shrink.
  • fivefatcats
    Options
    Down 22 lbs now I have some sagging in my belly ( I have four kids to so we can at least partially blame them).

I am going to give it a few months then my hubby and I are going for a consult with a surgeon. TMI maybe, but we were looking into a breast lift and will ask him them about the tummy if its still an issue in the fall. I am hoping/wondering what will happen once I get back to running 3 days a week and lifting/weight training once a week. Time will tell.