Scales

Options
I was just wondering what scale everyone uses? I have been using my Wii Fit board but it has been VERY inconsistent so I would like to get a really realiable scale ....Thanks :)

Jackie :)

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have always used my wii fit board except when at the doctors. The scales are always comparable. The Wii fit I found to be very reproducible. If you have a carpet, do you have the extender feet on it? If not, have you tried using a yoga mat under it to keep it from slipping. No matter where I am or what I am doing it always gives me within normal fluctuation of my weight (+or 1 a pound).
  • gagirlinnc
    gagirlinnc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit board

Our bathroom scales are wonky and temperamental!
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers scale, it seems pretty accurate. It was about $30(CDN) at WalMart.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'll have to get back to you on exactly what scale I used, but mine seems to be very accurate. You can test any scale you have by putting a couple of dumbbells on it. I put two 2-pound weights on mine, and it read exactly 4.0. Not even a tenth of a pound off. :) Give me a minute and I'll edit this post with the name/brand/whatever.

I wouldn't dare use my wii fit board. Mine seems to be so very off. It says I'm 20 pounds less than I really am (oh, but don't I wish that were true?). It always jumps up and down 5 or 8 pounds at a time. Ridiculous. And... Well, it hurts my feelings when it calls me obese. ;_; I working on it! Don't judge, you stupid wii.
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Don't judge, you stupid wii.

LOL! :laugh:
  • masoca1
    masoca1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a Health-O-Meter Professional Body Fat Scale. It was $40 at Walmart and it does your weight, your Body Fat Percentage, Hydration Levels, and BMI. It stores infor for up to 4 people. I LOVE it. It is right on with the Dr scale at work.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Wii wasn't accurate for me at all. I bought a Taylor $40-50 and is very accurate. It keeps track of age, height, tracks weightloss as you go and body fat.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Wii wasn't accurate for me at all. I bought a Taylor $40-50 and is very accurate. It keeps track of age, height, tracks weightloss as you go and body fat.

I think that's the one I have. It's called the Taylor Body Fat Calculator Scale.
    I highly recommend it. It's always been perfectly accurate- right the same as the gym scale and my doctor's scale. :)
  • fozzy33
    fozzy33 Posts: 72
    Options
    I use my wii fit scale I also have a bathroom scale. Ive been trying to keep off the scale because Im not seeing results though Im losing inches and sizes in clothes. I think at this point,,,losing a total of 94lbs Im gaining more lean muscle and that is why my scale doesnt seem to be moving!
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've got Salters. They're the best brand of scale i've found :)

My boyfriend told me that when he was on his health kick he tried a variety of brands. The weight watchers ones were the worst, I think. Argos's brand were bad. Salters were the best. He gave me his glass one which looks a little like this:

2033817?hei=400&wid=400
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    We have a weight watchers scale (netheir of us use ww), its the first one I have found to be accurate on a cosistent basis. We have had a couple of lemons(3-4 thrown out in a year).

Quick advice on a scale find in a stable corner in your house your not using and leave it in the same spot. Different surfaces will give you different results.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have Tanita Body Fat monitor scales and have always found them very accurate, however they can be quite expensive. The readings match up with my Wii Fit board as well, although I use the WF board on a flat, uncarpeted floor which I think makes all the difference, as carpet can throw the readings way out.

I bought WW scales once and they weighed me over 3 stone less than I am so they went back!
  • Harbs71
    Harbs71 Posts: 4
    Options
    WOW - FunkySpunky871.... what simple way to test.. I have electric scales that can change depending on which kitchen tile you put them on (hahaha) I've just gone and checked my scales with some 5kg dumbells in the garage and my 'usual' tile is 2.5kg heaver than the dumbells !!!! Eeeekkk !!

After scientifically testing many other tiles, have found the perfect one which is only 0.01kg out.. which I can live with.

Thanks for the advice !!

:oD
  • designingsean
    Options
    The Wii Balance Board is most accurate when used on a hard floor. Using it on the carpet - any height carpet, with the feet or not - can result in fluctuating measurements based on how much of the carpet (and its pad) is giving way when you step on it. I have found that putting it on a yoga mat actually make it even more inaccurate by almost a pound.

To test this, try weighing yourself several times in a row with the balance board on carpet in different spots. You should notice fluctuations of up to half a pound. So if you are going to use the board when it is time to weigh in, try to put it on a solid surface.