no gi grappling competing

Options
I've been training in an MMA class for about a year and a half. I only go a couple of times a week and it's mostly been for fun and some regular exercise. I've found however that I really enjoy the jiu jitsu and have begun competing in local tournaments. I've won 1 and lost 2 of the three tourneys I've competed in. I'm going to continue to compete (hopefully once a month) and now I need to get serious about my fitness, both strength and cardio. I'm looking for some other people with the same interests who I can trade strategies with and hold accountable.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    I've been training in an MMA class for about a year and a half. I only go a couple of times a week and it's mostly been for fun and some regular exercise. I've found however that I really enjoy the jiu jitsu and have begun competing in local tournaments. I've won 1 and lost 2 of the three tourneys I've competed in. I'm going to continue to compete (hopefully once a month) and now I need to get serious about my fitness, both strength and cardio. I'm looking for some other people with the same interests who I can trade strategies with and hold accountable.
    Learn power/explosive movements for strength and do HIIT training for cardio and endurance. BJJ requires using the whole body so don't neglect strength training any area. IE: gripping is important (especially in no gi), but many disregard forearm training for grip strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lcrayburn1
    lcrayburn1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ninerbuff. That's actually really helpful (esp the part about forearm strength. I could have used that for my match yesterday).

Anyone else training for grappling (either no-gi or gi) and want to keep in touch?
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Anything that builds you core. I also used to find being a smaller chick (compared to the boys) I relied on leg strength. I couldn't ever out wrestle the boys , but I was very hard to submit and could get on top of most of the newer students , even when giving up 20-30 kilos. I agree on the forearm strength. I believe you use your whole body as part of a chain and you need it tight. Also in class you want to be practising drills.... A lot. Good luck, I miss that stuff lol