Why Am I Not Losing Weight?

Options
Hi,

I'm new to myfitnesspal.com, joining about a week ago, looking for encouragement, motivation and advice from people who are going through a similar journey. I started working out 4-5 days a week and eating clean 6 weeks ago. At the end of the first 4 weeks I lost 10lbs and I was absolutely ecstatic! All my hard work had paid off! In total I am trying to lose 30lbs, so I have 20lbs to go. However, last week I gained a pound (the holiday dinner screwed me over), which was obviously upsetting, but I know that these things happen and it was just a greater motivation to work even harder. Hence, this week I ate better and exercised 6 days instead of my usual 4-5 days. Still, I weighed myself today and lost only a single pound. I know that that is still an achievement, but before I was losing 2-3lbs a week.

What is happening? Have I plateaued? And what can I do to lose weight faster (but still healthy), like before? I'm trying to lose these last 20lbs by the beginning of June. Please help!

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Huh?

You are losing weight, so I don't understand what you mean? Haven't you lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks? That's a pretty big accomplishment if you've got 30 pounds to lose. Why do you think you've plateaued? If you've only got 20 pounds left to lose I don't understand why you'd expect to lose that by June, it tends to go slower towards the end.
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You haven't plateaued. You lose a 1lb, which is a healthy rate of weight loss in a week.

A lot of your initial weight loss was probably water weight and so it'll probably slow down now, especially as you don't have too much to lose.

Start lifting weights (if you're not already), might help you lose some inches/tone up.
  • KGzlz
    KGzlz Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm sorry, maybe I asked the wrong question, as I have lost weight, but just not at the rate that I was before, so I feel like somehow I'm doing something wrong. It's possible that I'm just overly ambitious and slightly delusional about how long the weight loss process actually takes. This is my first time ever going through this and I see before and after pictures with people getting abs and dropping weight in as little as 4 weeks, so it's difficult for me to not see results as fast as this.
  • purpleipod
    Options
    Well it's not a quick process and there are no quick fixes. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will come off. Timed goals are usually a bad idea because people get upset and complain if they don't lose it as fast as they expect to.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, it gets harder and harder to lose the rest. The more you have to lose, the more quickly the numbers on the scale drop. Your body is literally smaller- it requires fewer calories to function, and as a lighter person you now burn fewer calories with every exercise you do than when you were 10 lbs heavier. Think about it- if you run for exercise, think about how much harder it would be to run carrying 10 lb dumbbells! (I've done it. not fun!)

1 lb a week is completely normal and good. The absolute max that you could wish for is 2 lbs a week, but that requires a 1000 calorie deficit every day- pretty hard to do! Your weight loss will keep slowing down, unfortunately. Totally normal. I absolutely recommend strength training- you'll look much better at your goal weight if you strength train!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you doing?? If you are not properly fueling your body that might be the reason. Either way, it takes time, the weight didn't come on quick so naturally it will take time for it to come off.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Stick to eating how you are now, working out regularly and you should continue to still lose weight, slow as it may be, you will lose. Don't get frustrated that you aren't losing it right away, the slower you lose the weight the better chances you'll have that it will stay off.
  • KGzlz
    Options
    I do currently incorporate 4lb weights into my cardio routines and arm workouts (I just upped it from 2lbs), but it seems I should begin using the weights in other areas, like legs and even abs. Initially, I thought it would just make me bulk up and become too muscular, but the more I'm reading up on it, the more I'm learning that it helps to tone and lean out. I should also be more consistent on my calorie counting. I don't typically write it out meal by meal, day by day. I just kind up add it up in my head to not exceed between 1,000-1,2000 calories a day.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! The turtle wins the race, and I see this journey will be longer than anticipated, but well worth it in the end!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do currently incorporate 4lb weights into my cardio routines and arm workouts (I just upped it from 2lbs), but it seems I should begin using the weights in other areas, like legs and even abs. Initially, I thought it would just make me bulk up and become too muscular, but the more I'm reading up on it, the more I'm learning that it helps to tone and lean out. I should also be more consistent on my calorie counting. I don't typically write it out meal by meal, day by day. I just kind up add it up in my head to not exceed between 1,000-1,2000 calories a day.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! The turtle wins the race, and I see this journey will be longer than anticipated, but well worth it in the end!

Well that could the be problem right there, your not eating enough. You need to figure out your TDEE and BMR. Here is the the road map: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Good luck.
  • purpleipod
    Options
    You are by no means going to bulk up using 2 or 4 pound weights. If you're wanting a leaner figure weight lifting will help with that.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I thought I was going to reach my goal on my first year anniversary....nope. But am I upset? Not hardly.

Yes....slow weight loss is the best. It tends to stay off. And, remember....this is for life, not just till you reach your goal.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The first 4-5 weeks I lost 2-3 lbs a week, it has since slowed to 1-1.5 a week (with a pesky plateau in between, no loss for 3 weeks). I think it's pretty normal.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options

The day I hit goal weight on the left. After a year of lifting heavy on the right. Exact same weight. Size 12 to size 6. Lifting will NOT bulk you up. (I squat 115, deadlift 95, and bench 75.)
    32479585_8792.jpg
  • KGzlz
    Options
    Wow! That is truly astounding! Congratulations!
    Muscle weighs more than fat and this really inspires me to start lifting! Just curious, do you go to the gym or workout at home? I will probably eventually have to get a gym membership, but for now I use at home DVD's (Jillian Michaels and Denise Austin) and occasionally run on the treadmill at my fathers house. And if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to reach your goal weight?
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    It took me roughly 3 months to lose 30 lbs. Was happy and maintained there for a while, then decided to lose another 30. Total it took about 8 months. I joined a gym, as well as did home workouts and ran.

Thank you and good luck!