How to take your mind off eating

Options
Okay so I find sometimes that say if i have had lunch or something at 12.. it gets to 3 and i start to feel a little bit hungry again.. usually because i am bored at work or something, But what do you do to keep yourself not thinking about food inbetween meal times? I even find that say if i have had a roast dinner.. an hour later i feel peckish.. anybody else get that? I haven't actually given in to the temptation but it is verrrryyy hard and I need some good idea's to help me keep my mind off of having things inbetween meal times.

Im quite strict with my calorie intake too, so eating something low calorie wouldn;t be a good idea.. something to take my mind off of it without eating food would be good, thanks!

Replies

• meganshort11
    meganshort11 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    try drinking a cup of green tea with blueberry and acai. i usually make mine with two packets of sweet and low. i don't personally care for green tea, but this is pretty good. lipton and bigelow are the brands of it i've tried, and i've liked both of them. green tea tend to curb your appetite, and there are no calories. i drink a cup every morning, and usually another in the afternoon. also, snacking on raw celery keeps your mouth busy, and there are hardly any calories in it. good luck!
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I find that having a bit of a later breakfast and lunch helps to keep me from snacking and picking. I'm unemployed at the moment (unfortunately!) so I get up around 8 or 9 and have breakfast at about 9:30.

Are you at a job where you can eat at your desk? Like bring something in to work for breakfast and eat a bit later? You could try discussing with your boss if you cant work through your normal lunch time and schedule a later one, if this is the route you wish to take.

How many calories per day are you eating? Are you eating enough grains, protein, and fiber? I've upped all three recently, and I find that I am much more satiated at the end of a meal. Basically, I don't eat "empty calories". I also take a fiber supplement (6g I think) about an hour before dinner and that helps keep me full through the rest of the night.

I do usually allow myself a "dessert" though, usually some fruit or a Chobani yogurt, or frozen greek yogurt. Chobani makes these Flips, I've discovered them recently, the coconut one with almond and dark chocolate bits is to die for! Hope I've offered some helpful advice!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    At times like that I make myself a cup of tea or coffee. But generally if I am still hungry after that, I have a piece of fruit or something else that's a healthy snack. A couple of squares of dark chocolate is good for that too.
  • Beccraywards
    Beccraywards Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I work in an office.. 9-5 monday - friday.. On the weekends its not such a problem for me where im usually always out, so i dont think about food! but at work its hard not to especially when it's quiet. I usually eat my breakfast around 8-8:30 and lunch at 12-12:30 .. then dinner at around 5:30-6:00 .. So I should be in a routine but some days i just want to eat on something.. Also a bad thing is im quite a picky person with food.. So i would have to force myself to eat celery or something, and probably would give up with that after a few days .. Unless you can force yourself into liking a food?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I schedule snacks. If you start thinking about food at 3 you probably need to eat something. I like 100 calorie packs of something and keep them in the drawer at my desk. I currently have snack packs of nuts, but sometimes I get the 100 calorie packs of brownies or cookies. Whatever fits my calories and custom macros.

Also, if you don't like it don't eat it. This is something you have to learn to do the right way to carry on forever. Find balance between healthy and yummy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Also a bad thing is im quite a picky person with food.. So i would have to force myself to eat celery or something, and probably would give up with that after a few days .. Unless you can force yourself into liking a food?

I'm a picky eater. I hate vegetables and most fruits. After reducing the amount of "junk" food I eat the fruits and vegetables taste better, but I still only like a few. I try to get a serving of vegetable with lunch and dinner, eat some lean protein at every meal and fill the rest in with what fits my macros.
  • gonzamm
    gonzamm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Beccraywards: Peanut butter on slices of apples or hummus on wasa crackers works for me, along with a cup of green tea. Try that and see if that helps. Oh, also a piece of cheese with fruit will hold you over until your next meal.