Alcohol - your opinions

Options

Replies

• pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a complete diet-killer for me. Not everybody feels the same way, though. For me... Not only does it often lead to poor food choices whilst intoxicated and 1-3 lb weight spikes, but it wrecks my metabolism as well which takes me about a week to go back to normal.

ETA: And this is in reference to going out on Friday or Saturday and drinking a fair bit, not having one or two drinks.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I've basically stopped drinking for this very reason. I only have the occasional gin and tonic now. Like literally I have drink about twice this year.

Things may change in the summer...
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    In moderation, thumbs up. I can easily fit a drink or two into my daily calorie budget, especially if I exercise.
  • derbygirl_11
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder, which made me more susceptible to binge drinking in college, and boy did I binge drink! I put on a good 50 pounds in college (talk about the "freshman 15") and I chalk up most of the weight gain to alcohol consumption since I was leading a pretty healthy lifestyle otherwise. I would say alcohol is probably one of the worst things for losing weight.
  • redneckwoman727
    Options
    As long as you include it in with your "diet" as in count the fat, calories, carbs you should be good. Or if you excercise to burn it off after you count it then its like you didnt even have it.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Anything you can drink that turns a two in to a ten is OK in my book. Drink up!!!
  • verzanie
    verzanie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I like the alcohol and it helps me chill. Its worth the calories and I always count it in and log it. I would rather exercise hard for a feel good buzz and then drink my alcohol for the feel good relax and chill factor. I wonder if I am on my own with this philosophy??
    Anyone out there fancy a drinking dieting friend?
    Whackyjackie

I drink wine every night at dinner and log it but I always make sure I stay within my deficit and have not have a problem...I'd rather do an extra 30 mms of exercise than not enjoy my drink! I'll be your first drinking dieting friend ;-)
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Stopped drinking for this reason. My goals are too important to compromise on alcohol. Best decision I made this year.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's fine if it fits in your calorie allotment and you get enough protein. I try to eat more nutritiously when I am going to drink so that I can help make up for the empty calories. That said, I had 1 glass of wine every weekday, and 2-3 on weekends while I was losing weight with no problems. Now I am clean on weekdays, and drink 3-4 glasses of wine fri-sun also without issue. My biggest issue is that I get hungry when I drink so I have to exercise some control otherwise it is a double whammy.
  • spngbob
    spngbob Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Vodka is my choice beverage! Switched to beer, LIGHT beer at that. ONLY on the weekends. NO more than a couple. Once in a while a deep red wine. ONE glass, and not my 'normal' size either. Easy for me to keep those under control. Vodka...a whole new story....
  • Laura20903
    Options
    In honour of my "quest in being thin and healthy" I went to a braai this weekend and did not drink a thing. What a weird night it was - its weird how one only then realises the crazy things people talk about after a few glasses of wine.

I also feel that I pick up all the weight again after a night out - and I think its mostly because of the food choices I make while drinking. I also loooove beer, which is a problem and when I started drinking that was when I started putting on loads of weight. In the past, when I was still thinner, I used to drink vodka with low cal fruit juice and, my favourite back then, potency and Sprite zero, which did not affect me so much. Guess its time to get over beer (sigh).

Someone else on mfp advised me to go to a website called something like "i want to get drunk, not fat", The site "grades" different alcohol types according to whats best for a diet. Go check it out.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have not read any of the previous replies, but I would think that as long as you log, and it is within your calories, go for it.
    If not within your calorie allotment, as with anything you eat or drink, it will continue to be a problem.
    For me, moderation in everything seems to be the key to my success. I never have been a big drinker, and since I have been on MFP, I have had only 2 glasses of wine on Easter 2012, and Thanksgiving 2012. Having said this, I much prefer the satisfaction of "chewing" my calories, and I do not spend many of my calories on non-alcoholic drinks either.
    It is your choice, and you must do what is best for your personal satisfaction. It has got to be something that you can sustain for a lifetime of good health.
    Best of luck, you can do this.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think if it is something you enjoy, then have it. Just be sure to log it.

I used to drink a lot more than I do now, primarily because I would look at my log and see how much it was not worth it. But on a nice day like today, I don't mind walking the dog up to the brewpub and have a couple of craft beers. We shall see. I oftentimes have that intention then realize I really would rather not have those calories. But other times, I have them and some.

Just stay honest with yourself.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I don't track alcohol because it burns itself trying to exit your body. There was a long article about it here. I will try to find it....
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you like wine you could try 1/2 wine half seltzer or something to cut the cals. Or drink less?
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is the reason I go over my calories allotment on the weekends. I bank some calories though during the week so my weekly overall isn't over. I enjoy drinking. I won't stop (unless I get knocked up). Moderation is key. :). As far as the weight gain, it's just water weight. Drink LOTS of water. :)

this! perfectly me too lol
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I total,y know where you're coming from. I'm in my early 20s, alcohol is not something I'm going to give up. My diet now has to be something I can stick with for forever....which to me means it must include alcohol. That being said, I cut down from my college days and I try to build up a big weekly deficit before the weekend comes around and get a big workout in Saturday and Sunday to balance out the extra cals. By doing this I've been able to go out one or two nights a week and still lose about .5-1 lb per week. It might be faster weightloss if I cut alcohol out, but I wouldn't be happier. That's really how I see it.

Alcohol alone is just not going to be the one single reason you can't lose weight. If logging it will help you go for it, I honestly rarely log weekends I just make sure I'm running a big old deficit sun- thurs.
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i will have 2 5oz glasses of red wine. I alot for that and will exercise just to have them. I would rather have my wine than sweets!

Me too! Wine is one of life's great pleasures. However I have learnt to appreciate it just one glass 1 or 2 times a week and always make sure I have calories remaining to allow it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I don't track alcohol because it burns itself trying to exit your body. There was a long article about it here. I will try to find it....

Bah ha ha. Right.

So that 300 calorie beer or that 400 margarita, or even that 150 calorie rum and diet coke doesn't count in your world?

Not only is that a bad plan, but alcohol actually impedes food digestion as your liver is more inclined to get rid of the terrible toxin (alcohol) first.

So. No.

*edit to fix quotes