Suggestions on HRMs.

Options
I would like to buy a HRM for working out so i know exactly how many calories i am burning when working out, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on ones they'd prefer. I was looking at the Polar FT4 but wanted others opinions on theirs before i went out and bought mine, thanks so much guys!!

Replies

• gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting on the fitbit flex...
  • drewkc
    drewkc Posts: 9
    Options
    I'll check that one out! thanks.!
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit Flex isn't a HRM, but a pedometer (with some extras). I'd go with the Polar if you're looking to track calories in cardio workouts.

Edit: I bought a Polar FT4 myself last month and wish I'd gotten it sooner, honestly. It's worth it.
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and have been happy with it. I only looked at models that have a chest band. Good value.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4, love it.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    HRM is better than fitbit. ( I have the zip) THe fit bit does not do well with cycling and non impact exercise (yoga, weights) and is sometimes hit and miss on ellipticals. I have the timex Iron man and was given the Polar FT 7for Christmas. Both are good. THey allow personalization, height, weight, age. easy to update as you loose weight. Get one with a chest strap, more accurate. both are good base models. IF you want a fitness test or to figure the VO2 max, them go more expensive. SOme have GPS stuff if you do road work or seriously training for something.

I suggest a HRM for working out. If you are only walking / running and want general feed back on distance and broader calorie burn, go for fitbit. HRMs work off you and your exertion/ effort. Fitbit is only cals used off distance and mathematical formula based on info you input.

Pick what is best for your needs. I found the HRM was best for me and my weight loss goals and motivation
  • drewkc
    Options
    I'm really leaning towards the Polar FT4, it's had great reviews, don't all of the models have chest bands?
  • leantonedliz
    Options
    The Polar FT4 is great! I got mine off eBay for half-price I think, even though it was new in an unopened package. I suggest checking there before you go to a store. It has a chest band and is pretty comfortable, easy to use, and it even shows a little birthday cake image on the screen if you happen to use it on your birthday haha!
  • funkylemur
    funkylemur Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    FT4 all the way , I had mine for Christmas and I wouldnt be without it now :)
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Garmin FR70 has everything i need in a HRM and I can go running with it, time my intervals, it's durable - love it.
  • BunnieMommie
    BunnieMommie Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I suggest a HRM for working out. If you are only walking / running and want general feed back on distance and broader calorie burn, go for fitbit. HRMs work off you and your exertion/ effort. Fitbit is only cals used off distance and mathematical formula based on info you input.

Pick what is best for your needs. I found the HRM was best for me and my weight loss goals and motivation

THIS!!!

I love my FT40! I can't believe I went so long without it. I think someone mentioned. But if you are going to get a HRM...get one with a chest strap. They say you get a more accurate reading. Good luck!
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 for the win! I love mine. It has the added advantage of telling you if you are in your fat burning zone or cardio zone, which I find super helpful at the moment, since I want to concentrate on burning fat!
  • drewkc
    Options
    ^^ Really!? that one sounds awesome!! i'm really concentrating on fat burning then later i'll concentrate on muscle toning, i'll definitely have to look into the FT7. I'm so torn!
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    FT7. I knew that the machine was giving me inaccurate caloric measurements. Ft7 has made me work out harder
  • katdell
    katdell Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use the Beurer heart rate monitor... I find it really good see the reviews on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beurer-PM-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B000I6FN5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365366018&sr=8-1&keywords=hrm
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    ^^ Really!? that one sounds awesome!! i'm really concentrating on fat burning then later i'll concentrate on muscle toning, i'll definitely have to look into the FT7. I'm so torn!

Yeah it's super cool! I was leaning towards the FT4, as it's a bit cheaper than the FT7, but the added bonus of fat burning and knowing that I plan on sticking with this healthy business forever, not just as a phase, encouraged me to spend that little bit more!