Running distances and weight loss

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I've heard a few places that you don't lose much weight when running distances, say for like a half or full marathon. Why is that? Would running shorter distances and/or intervals be better for weight loss?

I plan on running short, long, and intervals, but I was just curious.

Replies

• mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I hear that intervals are best for weight loss because it keeps your heart rate going up and down... Apparently it burns more fat rather than glycogen, which is stored in muscles. I've been listening to the Cut The Fat Podcast and they explain things pretty well. Some of what they say I don't agree with but there are tidbits of information that are very helpful.

Best of luck!
  • ridelikeagirl616
    ridelikeagirl616 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've been told high intensity cardio burns cellulite... If only I could run at a high intensity for hours I would! :smile:
    I've also heard that it's all about calories burned and doesn't matter how you get there. This should really be a subject they teach in high school!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I've heard a few places that you don't lose much weight when running distances, say for like a half or full marathon. Why is that? Would running shorter distances and/or intervals be better for weight loss?

I plan on running short, long, and intervals, but I was just curious.

I've never trained for a full or half marathon, but I have plenty of friends who have run them and thought they would lose weight but didn't. (I've even seen people gain a bit.) I don't think it is the running, per se, but I believe that sometimes people (who aren't using a tool such as MFP) start training hard for something like a marathon and they get the idea "I can pretty much eat whatever I want because I am running so much."

Of course, it can actually be pretty easy to "out eat" that kind of training. Yes, running burns a lot of calories, but those can be pretty swiftly replaced with one visit to an all-you-can-eat buffet!