Cheap Food Recipes

Options
yelldan22
yelldan22 Posts: 35 Member
I am trying to figure out my next grocery shopping trip, and due to new circumstances our budget just got even tighter. I'm trying to figure out meals that I can prepare for cheap, but are healthy. My husband is pretty picky which makes things harder. Preferably dinners that I can make so there are leftovers for lunch the next day. I'm frustrated because I look through the sales ad for the grocery store and everything bad for you is super cheap, but I don't want to buy 10 boxes of macaroni and cheese.

Suggestions on meals that I can prepare on the cheap would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• knjitters
    knjitters Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I usually make this once a week because its easy to make a ton so i have for lunch a day or two besides dinner.. sorry i eye ball everything.

whole wheat noodles
    Hunts diced tomatoes - no salt (I like canned for this for the extra juice)
    chicken breast diced up
    spinach
    carrots
    mushrooms
    whatever veggies you want..
    spices - I use mrs dash no salt chicken one

a little water and the tomato juice make a nice sauce for it...
  • mstyer2790
    mstyer2790 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like to make stirfry out of whatever random veggies I have, like today I ate one made of red potatoes, celery, carrots, & a little bit of chicken and cheese. Also, taco salads are pretty much the best thing ever and you can do that pretty inexpensively
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    Well, you can do Paleo. Most of the ingredients that you will need to stay on the diet consistently are mostly basic stuff like meat and vegetables. It's easy because you don't need to know much about cooking to start cooking it.

http://cooklikeacaveman.com/paleo-cookbook-review/

Definitely what I would recommend on weight loss or healthy diet plans.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Well, you can do Paleo. Most of the ingredients that you will need to stay on the diet consistently are mostly basic stuff like meat and vegetables. It's easy because you don't need to know much about cooking to start cooking it.

http://cooklikeacaveman.com/paleo-cookbook-review/

Definitely what I would recommend on weight loss or healthy diet plans.

Last time I looked, meat was quite expensive!
  • amykk42
    amykk42 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lentils are really cheap and healthy. This vegetarian meatloaf is one of my favorite recipes
    http://www.food.com/recipe/really-good-vegetarian-meatloaf-really-33921
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Try and buy veg that is in season or on special, you can bulk meals up with it when meat is pricey; I only eat a little meat, mostly added for flavour, and have lots of veg with it. Tinned tomatoes are super handy, and work well as a pasta sauce (much cheaper than a store bought bottle). Rice and pasta are filling and cheap, as are lentils and beans; easy to make a healthy dish with whatever vegetables you have around. Garlic, and chilli (powdered or fresh) add easy flavour.
  • winninglucky13
    Options
    How about trying ethic cuisines? Many of them are low in fat and don't require expensive meat, poultry, or fish. Lots of vegetables and whole grains make them filling, tasty, very healthy and CHEAP. I particularly like Indian.

And the recipes are available online for free.

If husband is more traditional, lots of great American legume dishes, Boston baked beans, for example.

To save money, cook from scratch: THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

My family went through an 18 month period where my employer refused to pay me; I had a mortgage and three kids in college. We planted a vegetable garden, I went to the grocery wholesalers and we bought 100 lbs of beans, 100 pounds of whole wheat flour, 50 pounds of dry milk, etc., you get the idea.

After buying the bulk stuff we spent about $50 a month on food for a 50 year old woman, a teen girl and 22 year old son. And all of us are runners and bicyclists, so we ate a lot.

Make your own bread and muffins. It really is easy. When I wake up in the morning, I take 5 minutes to whip up a batch of muffins for breakfast, take a shower, and by the time I am dressed, they are hot from the oven.

We made almost everything during our 'hard time', our own mayonnaise, our own mac and cheese, even occasionally our own cheese.

Each Friday night we had a ball with homemade pizza (vegetables from our garden, homemade crust, some bought cheese in bulk from Costco) and homemade beer, which was never very good, but we had fun.

Think in cost per serving. Many items at Costco, for example, seem cheap, but the cost per serving is expensive.

Canned wild salmon is super cheap compared to fresh, very healthy, can be used for fish sandwiches, patties, in mac and cheese for variety, just about anywhere you would use tuna.

To summarize: buy in bulk, do NOT buy prepared food, learn to cook, compare price per serving.

Good luck. You absolutely can do it.
  • janiesue101
    janiesue101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Look for crock pots recipes with beans as the main ingredient. For example, on the Crockin' Girls' website, look for their Taco Stew Recipe. Super easy, inexpensive and very tasty. And lots of left overs.
  • lotte24601
    lotte24601 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Poor Girl Eats Well (http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/)? I find her recipes to be fairly healthy and easily adaptable for picky eaters. Plus, they're yummy, which is always a huge win in my book.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Bean soup with a little bit of ham.

I don't even like HAM but I love bean soup.

Pea soup, potato soup, vegetable beef soup, chicken soup. Stew. Chili.

Seriously, I'm not joking. I love soups (and their culinary cousins) and quite a few are cheap.

Cheapness in the way in season produce or beans are cheap isn't the only way to go, either. Coupons + sales. Mark downs. Having a stocked pantry of basics (oil, spices, flour, stock, canned/dried/frozen fruit and vegetables bought on sale or homemade). Those are all your friends. I have no problem buying higher quality meat (or other perishable item) that is going to expire soon if I am going to cook it or freeze it that day.
  • meganshort11
    meganshort11 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i have a ton of experience in buying and preparing healthy meals on a very tight budget. im a single mom with two kids who makes $9/hour. if you have any questions, just message me or add me.

one of our favorites is chicken fajitas...

i just cut up boneless, skinless chicken breast (you only need about 4 oz/person), and grill it. instead of using taco seasoning, i just grill it plain, and then add a bit of taco sauce once its cooked. throw in whatever veggies you like (i typically use peppers and onions). wrap in a whole wheat torilla. for sides, i make brown rice, mexican corn (corn sautteed with a little bit of garlic, pepper, and onion), and i heat up a can of fat free refried beans. i also buy the Kraft fat-free shredded cheddar (generic, if you can find it), and try to fill up my taco with as much lettuce as possible. as long as you measure out your portions, its a pretty healthy and very filling meal.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Try this site, and click on "conveniences", and then pick "budget friendly", and in other option things as you like:
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/healthy-recipe-finder
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna, tuna, pasta and broccoli . Inexpensive and good for a few days for leftovers. Fresh veggies are the best but frozen can work and be slightly cheaper. Also I have discovered that if you have the ability to shop every couple of days instead of weekly, you can get some good deals on meats that you may want to have.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Beans- chickpeas and black beans are my favorite- buy them dry and they are cheap- and remember they double in volume- if you prep them early in the week you can use them through the week. If you get tired of them whole you can puree them for veggie dips (like a play on hummus) or make it into patties and pan fry them- like a play on falafel. Or mash them and mix w/ jalapenos and corn and use it like scrambled hamburger meat in eggs or tacos or breakfast burritos. I'm going to roast some chickpeas this afternoon b/c I've been wanting to try that.

Chicken- you can get a whole one and do the whole deboning thing- I think that's the most cost effective, but I buy skinless boneless breasts- and then I poach and shred them- you can quickly use this for tacos or chicken salad or garden salad w/ chicken or toss it in a soup or stir fry or a casserole or pasta bake.

Potatoes- roasted potatoes use little oil and they reheat well. A 10 lb bag of potatoes is cheap. Or throw them in the oven to have baked potatoes- they're very versatile and frankly I feel bad for the potato, it gets a bad rep.

Rice is pretty reasonably priced, also versatile and if you aren't eating just gobs of it, it can be a good "volumizer" and it's one of those things you can cook ahead of time and reheat or use as an ingredient later in the week- just cook it a little on the less done side so it's not overcooked later.

Carrots- shred them and add to casseroles, cut them up for soups, roast them, cut them up for snacks- you can save money cutting them up yourself instead of buying baby carrots.

And I can't get into the whole wheat pasta thing- I can't, I just do not like it. But regular pasta is cheap- and if you aren't just eating way too much of it it's not going to wreck your diet (unless you have gluten intolerance or are doing a no or lo carb thing- but if you are none of my two cents is helpful anyway) and can add volume to meals.

Most soups and casseroles freeze well- so if you all won't eat it all or don't like eating leftovers for a few days, freeze half of it- or double it and freeze that- then you have something you can pull out on a day you don't feel like cooking- but not spend money or blow calories on a drive thru or pizza delivery.

For me cheap and healthy is about prepping- remember that you pay for convenience at the grocery store- so if you're willing to spend a few more hours a week on your feet (and burning some calories too!) you can save a lot of money!
  • fl46
    fl46 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cabbage rolls!!!!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Fave EZ recipes are always on the back of food packaging. One of my faves is when you buy the McCormick chili packets. They list what you need and its done fast. Of course you can add whatever you want.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    -Beans
    -Frozen veggies
    -Rice
    -Bulk poultry (at my grocery store I can get a big bag of chicken breasts for 10$)
    -Tortilla

Also, making homemade soup is really cheap. I get the chicken bouillon cubes, instead of the straight broth. I put chicken breast in, frozen corn, frozen broccoli, and break apart some spaghetti noodles. Season to taste. I'll make a giant batch and throw some in the freezer. Just make sure you use freezer friendly stuff (I learned the hard way not to put mushrooms in the soup and freeze it lol)
  • ezme13
    ezme13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I made this for the first time this week, it worked out really cheap and was very tasty with some rice. I had leftovers on their own for lunch the next day. I'm going to make it in bulk next time so I can freeze some for easy midweek dinners.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1306/easy-peasy-lentil-curry
  • marilynolivares1
    marilynolivares1 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    anything with beans