Calorie question. Very unsure about this BMR and TDEE thing

Options
Okay I have been calculating my BMR to try and up my calories. It says that my BMR is 2302 on http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
It also says my TDEE to maintain my weight is 3166. At the bottom it says according to me wanting to reduce my daily calorie intake by 20% I should eat 2533 calories?!!
That sounds like WAY to many.
I am a 20 year old 5'5 female and I weigh 331 lbs. I work out doing cardio 3 days a week for 30 minutes and I plan on adding some weight lifting 2 days a week.

Im really unsure of how many calories I should be eating I was trying to stay around 1200 but obviously that is way low for someone of my size. So does this mean I should eat at least 2302-2500 a day to lose weight?
I've looked at alot of posts explaining this but I'm still very confused. 2500 calories just seems like a lot when trying to lose weight. If anyone could explain this to me. I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Replies

• Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    That actually sounds about right! Once you lose 10lbs, recalculate then start eating the new amount it gives you. Make sure though, that if your activity level goes up, recalculate then too!
  • smichelle65
    smichelle65 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Okay I have been calculating my BMR to try and up my calories. It says that my BMR is 2302 on http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    It also says my TDEE to maintain my weight is 3166. At the bottom it says according to me wanting to reduce my daily calorie intake by 20% I should eat 2533 calories?!!
    That sounds like WAY to many.
    I am a 20 year old 5'5 female and I weigh 331 lbs. I work out doing cardio 3 days a week for 30 minutes and I plan on adding some weight lifting 2 days a week.

Im really unsure of how many calories I should be eating I was trying to stay around 1200 but obviously that is way low for someone of my size. So does this mean I should eat at least 2302-2500 a day to lose weight?
    I've looked at alot of posts explaining this but I'm still very confused. 2500 calories just seems like a lot when trying to lose weight. If anyone could explain this to me. I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

After five months on MFP, I think I finally get the hang of the the TDEE thing: if I'm correct, and if you truly do 3 days of cardio a week, 3100 is the calories you need to eat daily to stay at 331lbs. For a slow, steady weight-loss, you would have to cut 500 calories a day from the 3100 calories; so you'd be "short" 3500 calories a week, which equals a loss of 1 lb/week. So if you keep doing what you're doing, and eating below your TDEE, you should be fine. When you reach a plateau, that's when you further lower your calories.
  • GettingHealthy21
    Options
    Thank you!