butter versus margarine

Options
I was reading article on the above that margarine can cause belly fat or fat in general due to the additivites put in where butter is a more natural food....now without looking at the calorie count and you can now get butter w/o salt and also those new butter ball containers keep it soft I think I will be eating more butter.....anyone elses thoughts on this subject?

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I go for butter on taste grounds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    butter...

also, if you do margarine, make sure it is 100% expeller pressed oils and NO partially hydrogenated oil (i.e. trans-fats). We have to do margarine right now for my wife due to some dairy allergies my baby has (wife is still breast feeding). We use Earth Balance original; it's pretty good as far as margarines go. Once she's done breastfeeding though, we'll be back to using butter...sparingly....in general we have cut way back on dairy and it has greatly benefited both of us.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of either, but I prefer butter in terms of taste. Right now I buy a 20/80 mixture (20% butter, 80% margarine). I do this because I don't like margarine too much, and I have not been able to find a butter with 0 trans fat. This 20/80 mixture tastes more like butter and there is no trans fat in it. Also, it is soft which I like.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I am not a huge fan of either, but I prefer butter in terms of taste. Right now I buy a 20/80 mixture (20% butter, 80% margarine). I do this because I don't like margarine too much, and I have not been able to find a butter with 0 trans fat. This 20/80 mixture tastes more like butter and there is no trans fat in it. Also, it is soft which I like.
    The trans fats in butter are called CLA ( conjugated linoleic acid) and are extremely healthy and found mostly in grass fed beef and dairy, with Kangaroo having the most......you lucky Islanders.....The trans fats in margarine are a totally different animal and to be avoided. Also you won't find a margarine that says "no" trans fats, but will say "0" trans fats because most of the refined oils in margarine have small amounts from the result of the deodorizing process, so basically your consuming trans fats even though you think your not.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There is not a chance I would go near margarine, having learned how it's produced, so butter all the way for me, and lots of it. :-)
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Organic butter is a healthier choice than regular butter. As far as I know margarine is unhealthy - or at least it used to be.

I don't usually use either though I do occasionally buy butter.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use both. I try to get butter when it's on sale, but I will often buy margarine to save money.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Margarine for oiling up girls so they can wrestle in bikinis. Butter for cooking.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    BUTTER

PARKAY

BUTTER

PARKAY

BUTTER, DAMMIT!
  • mrsarnold07
    Options
    Grass-fed butter all the way :-)! Here's a great article!

http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/2011/03/why-i-use-butter-and-true-causes-of.html
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been using Brummel & Brown Spread Made with Yogurt, it tastes just like margarine, but fewer calories.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Would not eat margarine if you paid me, I'd much rather have a little bit of butter than poison my insides with margarine
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been using Brummel & Brown Spread Made with Yogurt, it tastes just like margarine, but fewer calories.

This is what I use. It's still margarine but it has yogurt mixed in for flavor. I know margarine is so bad for you but I just can't excuse the calories etc... in butter.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Would not eat margarine if you paid me, I'd much rather have a little bit of butter than poison my insides with margarine

Poison me. Love margarine. Nothing against butter, but it's not tasty unless it has salt and I have to keep sodium down.
  • jamerleigh
    jamerleigh Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Exactly!!
  • dharqvenym
    Options
    Margarine is 1 molecule away from being plastic. They originally made it to try to fatten turkeys but it kept killing the turkeys. I know which one I use.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    if i use any id go for butter its natural fat and not the chemical produced one in margarine
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Any solutions for those of use who are allergic to butter and all dairy products?
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Margarine is 1 molecule away from being plastic. They originally made it to try to fatten turkeys but it kept killing the turkeys. I know which one I use.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Really? Really?
    [The answer is no]

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp
    Just for an easy place to look.

How about a little research before posting false information? Is that really too much to ask?