dog attacks while running

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
There are several dogs on my routes (pit bulls) that scare the crap out of me. Most of the time they are behind fences or far enough away that they don't run after me, but I have had one right at my ankles before and 2 not too far away. How do you combat dogs and other predatory creatures while running? I was so scared when I had the pit bull at my ankles, but I just tried to keep my eyes forward and act like I wasn't bothered. However, I just read in my Runner's World magazine of a runner who was bitten by a pit bull.

Replies

• 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    There is a spray on the market for dogs that mailmen & runners carry a lot. I have some b/c I've been bit by numerous dogs on walks in our neighborhood. I've never had to use it since I bought it, though, go figure. It's like pepper spray and you can pick it up at most sporting goods stores from what I've seen. Good luck!
  • Amy_B
    Options
    I will have to look into that. It's better to be safe than sorry.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Get a pit bull of your own??:laugh: ? Ok, not funny :tongue:

That is a worry for me when I am walking too. There is one golden retriever who is left on a long leash tied to a pole on the front porch. The trash that lives there has 10 cars in the yard and driveway, so as I was jogging past I did not see the dog........who snarled and ran to the end of his lead.

Scared the crap outta me...........and I mean almost literally! I had to turn around and go home. :sad:

(I felt so sorry for that dog:brokenheart: because goldens are gentle creatures and they must just ignore him to have him act in such a mean way:cry: )

My friend carries pepper spray. My other friend carries a small weight in each hand. The problem is once you stop, turn, get the can ready, spray...........the stupid dog is aware of YOUR attack. The weights will at least give you something to wack it with if it is too close.

I say report these people to the local authorities. The guy at the end of the street had his dog taken away for allowing him to wander.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    There is a spray on the market for dogs that mailmen & runners carry a lot. I have some b/c I've been bit by numerous dogs on walks in our neighborhood. I've never had to use it since I bought it, though, go figure. It's like pepper spray and you can pick it up at most sporting goods stores from what I've seen. Good luck!

the mailman sprayed my dog Raychal when she shot out the front door it worked to put her on the ground rubbing her eyes.

He apologized the next day and I told him humans trump animals any day and I was glad she didnt bit him-he may have actually saved her life with that spray!!
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Hi,

So let me get this straight...the pitbull was running free and not enclosed?...if yes I would call the aspca/local police department and let them know that you were almost attack...in New York and New Jersey pet must be on a leash at all times when out walking...and securely enclosed behind gates...or owner would be fined.

And not to be cruel...is there a type of pepper spray that can deter the pitbull the next time it attempts to get a bit out of you?...I'm just saying...

B
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Hi,

So let me get this straight...the pitbull was running free and not enclosed?...if yes I would call the aspca/local police department and let them know that you were almost attack...in New York and New Jersey pet must be on a leash at all times when out walking...and securely enclosed behind gates...or owner would be fined.

And not to be cruel...is there a type of pepper spray that can deter the pitbull the next time it attempts to get a bit out of you?...I'm just saying...

B
    If it happens again, I will. I was so scared at the time, I didn't really see which house it came from.
  • MrsBattousai
    MrsBattousai Posts: 171
    Options
    my father-onlaw told me to pack wasp spray! It also works agaisnt people who want to harm you to!
  • pawprint061
    pawprint061 Posts: 640
    Options
    I agree, I would get spray also. But please keep in mind that if your on their property you could get in trouble for attacking their dog even if your defending yourself... even if the dog is off leash. It sounds stupid I know, but a lot of dogs become territorial of their yards. I work with dogs every day, we train dogs for service and for people with disabilities... If you get the spray make sure it's pet friendly just cover your butt.

Are you allowed to have pit bulls in the area that you run in? Are there any laws that go with it? Like in my area they have to have insurance on the dog. I would still call and report them though because they do sound viscous and especially the one that went after your ankles...
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    There are several dogs on my routes (pit bulls) that scare the crap out of me. Most of the time they are behind fences or far enough away that they don't run after me, but I have had one right at my ankles before and 2 not too far away. How do you combat dogs and other predatory creatures while running? I was so scared when I had the pit bull at my ankles, but I just tried to keep my eyes forward and act like I wasn't bothered. However, I just read in my Runner's World magazine of a runner who was bitten by a pit bull.

Don't muck about, report the dog and the owner to the police, because one day that same dog may succeed in biting you or somebody else and by then it will be too late.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Definitely protect yourself and let the authorities know. B mentioned leash laws in NY and NJ. The same is true for PA. A few years ago a friend of mine was literally pulled to the ground off his bike by a pit bull. He ended up having xrays on his hand and had to call the police so they could make sure the dog was up to date on its shots and the owner was fined. Also, I'm not talking about a guy out for a leisurely bike ride. He's a serious athlete who wins bike races and was riding up a steep hill and the dog came out of nowhere. :noway:
    That being said... I'm not trying to scare you and I don't think all pit bulls will attack, but be on your guard, for sure. Good luck!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i was walking in a quiet residential area where all the yards are fenced. i heard a small jingle sound. something made me whirl around. i was being stalked by a dalmation whose collar tags had given it away. i stamped my feet and yelled bad dog, all the while maintaining eye contact. since i knew he was there, the fun was over and he finally loped past back to a house where the front door opened to let him in! owner had seen the whole thing; didn't say a word.

i ordered an ultrasonic dog repeller with led like the one my letter carrier has that morning when i got home.
  • Sara1478
    Sara1478 Posts: 21
    Options
    Your best bet is to report any stray dog, even if you don't know which house it belongs to. Animal Control should still come and round it up, or at least patrol the area for any loose dogs. It is a sad state when a human brings a dog into its home and doesn't have the heart to care for the animal, or the people that must come in contact with it. Sadly, many of these loose animals (pitbull or not) are diseased, in pain, trained for aggression, and will gladly take their frustrations out on anything moving near them.

As a responsible American Pitbull owner, it also does me a disservice. Unfortunately, the great breed that I know is attractive to those that like to exploit its natural abilities and to those that just like the tough look. Though a real breed standard American Pitbull Terrier doesn't look as tough as some of the monstrosities that are bred and called pitbulls today.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    i was walking in a quiet residential area where all the yards are fenced. i heard a small jingle sound. something made me whirl around. i was being stalked by a dalmation whose collar tags had given it away. i stamped my feet and yelled bad dog, all the while maintaining eye contact. since i knew he was there, the fun was over and he finally loped past back to a house where the front door opened to let him in! owner had seen the whole thing; didn't say a word.

i ordered an ultrasonic dog repeller with led like the one my letter carrier has that morning when i got home.

While sprays and ultrasonic repellers are good to carry, if you find youself being chased, best thing is to stop running and turn and face the dog, standing still. They will usually give up th chase if you are not moving. Besides, you could never out run them anyway. Yelling bad dog is always a good try too.
  • kimburly
    kimburly Posts: 5
    Options
    I got knocked down once by a dog who jumped at me and head-butted me in the stomach. He caught me off guard and I fell. He then proceeded to hump me...while he owner struggled to get him off me. I know the owner was apologizing profusely, but I never heard anything as my headphones were on loud. I just nodded and got out of there as soon as he had him off me.

yeah, I shouldve gotten therapy at the time of the attempted rape. But I was brave and overcame it.

I never did walk on that street again though....*laughing
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I will take dogs any day. We live in the mountains of North Georgia and have these guys to deal with on our evening walks.

bear.jpg
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation with a rottweiler. Your best bet in that situation is to stand your ground. Make yourself as big as possible and make no sudden moves, as others have mentioned. Tell it loudly and firmly to go.

And as for calling the authorities, I would say that depends on who owns the dog and where you live. I came very close to being mauled when walking by a neighbors yard. I had something on me to stop the attack, as I knew if this dog ever got out it would be a major problem, but it sneaked up behind me and I couldn't move to get it. The dang thing was like a wound spring and was crouching to jump as I started to reach in my pocket. It finally spun and went back to his yard. That was a very long 30 seconds.

The neighbor didn't care and did nothing. They said if it got out again I could kill it. This is the kind of people you may be dealing with. Bad dogs almost always have either bad, or at the least stupid, owners. I live out in the country and our dog laws are a joke around here. Nothing much is ever done. If I complained, I would have had an enemy for a neighbor forever. I don't want to watch my back and property 24/7.

Another time a dog was in my yard and attacked - this was different worthless neighbor. My grandson started to run away and this enraged it and started after him. I got the kid to stop and get behind me. I had a large stick handy and waved it and yelled at it to go home. We got lucky. Later that summer that same dog killed two dogs in the neighborhood. They said the dog was destroyed. I have reason to believe they sold it to someone else.

I joined a gym and keep alert even when when I'm in the yard. There is no end of worthless pet owners out there.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural area and it seems NOBODY (but me, apparently) keeps their dog on a chain or behind a fence - they're always out and about and come at me when they see me running past their house. No pit bulls that I can think of but lots of labs, a few jack russels, a boxer, a sheltie and a some very large mutts. I usually will stop running and walk past the homes - often times their owners will call the dogs away from me and sometimes the dogs listen and sometimes they don't. Sometimes these dogs will just follow me for a long while (as much as half a mile - if their owners aren't around) Fortunately I am not afraid of dogs, so they don't sense that I am (I think that can make a situation worse). Sometimes I even need to stop walking completely and I'll pet the dog or just stand and wait for their owner to come get them. It drives me nuts to have to stop full stride to accommodate this at times - and I have been fortunate not to run into any really mean dogs.

What I really don't understand is why these people don't worry about their pets getting hit by cars, or possibly jumping on or biting someone who may be afraid and run away. What a disaster that could be for them!

(And yea... these same dogs will chase me on a bike too - that's even more of a pain to avoid crashing)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If possible you should change your route since you know there may be a potential problem on the current one. You should purchase the spray mentioned or at least get some pepper spray. If the dogs are out loose they should be called on, dogs that are not properly attented to form packs in a matter of days and are more likely to attack so if not you then maybe some poor kid riding their bike one day. Pits are dangerous in the wrong hands so you should look to protect yourself in every way possible if you know there is a threat there.

I will equate it like this, continuing to run in an area where there may be a potential dog threat would be the same as continuing to run past a home with a known rapist in it, you are putting yourself in potential harms way and you should do what you need to do to protect yourself.