share your tips to succeed

Options
2»

Replies

• Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My biggest boosts to my motivation, and what helps me keep going:

- Measure! There have been months that I have lost less than I thought I "should" have, and didn't see the difference in the mirror that I thought I should have - but then hearing I lost over an inch on my waist that month shuts up any voices in my head that would want to tell me I was failing. Taking monthly progress photos (front, side, back) has been helpful for the same reason :). I might think I have a ways to go (and maybe I do), but I look AWESOME compared to my starting picture. That makes me feel successful!

- Find an exercise that you love. For me that's been Zumba. The endurance I've been getting from doing Zumba 3 times a week has been really helpful in other areas of activity as well. I used to think I could NEVER be a runner, but when the gym was closed I'd use a treadmill to replace the workout and have found that I could run for about 45 minutes now (my previous best was an excruciating 5 minutes). And I ENJOY those 45 minute runs (holy crap!!). I used to make excuses for not going to the gym, but since I learned what I love and what energizes me, I'm honestly upset/sad when I miss a workout.
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Do something active you love. And do it LOTS! Not only will calories be burned but while doing it no food can be eaten.

For me it's cycling. Others it's running. One friend it's gardening!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I loved reading these tips from everyone.
    Mine is to try out EVERYTHING, every exercise and class you can get to. Not only does that stop your fitness routine from becoming boring but you might just surprise yourself and find one you love. For me I learned that I HATE kettlebells (never again) but I LOVE running, boxing and weights. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and try something new :happy:

Aw... Why? I love Kettle bells!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber and water fill you up.

Not eating too many carbs stops your blood sugars jumping all over the place and making you constantly hungry.

Good food and body scales are imperative.

Sodium ruins weigh ins if not controlled a few days before hand.

Have a little of what you want some days, just not the amounts you would have had at one time.

With my fitness pal you get back what you put in, put a lot in, you'll get a lot back.

We all mess up... Just have to keep working on it.

Plateaus happen, don't let it derail you. No matter how hard it seems some times, it will all be worth it. You are worth it!

Biggest lesson... Weight loss is made in the kitchen, fitness is made in the gym!

Every day is a new start!

Zara :-)

this is so true. Minnie this is an excellent reply. thanks

Aw your welcome. Also to add, you have to find what works for your body, everything on the forums isn't true. May be true for them, but necessarily for you.

Zara x
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I loved reading these tips from everyone.
    Mine is to try out EVERYTHING, every exercise and class you can get to. Not only does that stop your fitness routine from becoming boring but you might just surprise yourself and find one you love. For me I learned that I HATE kettlebells (never again) but I LOVE running, boxing and weights. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and try something new :happy:

Aw... Why? I love Kettle bells!
    I hated every minute of it including the instructors awful choice in music and an hour of fast repetitive squats made my thigh muscles go into spasm resulting in days of agony followed by needing muscle relaxants prescribed from the doctor (well you did ask :blushing: ) x
  • beenisafe
    beenisafe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A good thread. Bump
  • csmith822
    csmith822 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I would do without my food scale. Before I started measuring things, my portions were so out of whack! Using the food log to plan my meals for the day ahead of time is really helpful. That way, I know if there's any wiggle room for unexpected food during the day. Having supportive friends really helps, too.
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Be consistent.

Log everything you eat, even if you know it's been a bad day. Keeps you accountable.

Stick to your macros.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    lift heavy and avoid machines - check your ego and fear at the door, heavy barbell movements have been my key to reshaping my body and just becoming functionally stronger in regular life

biggest thing though - its blood, sweat and tears - its blood, sweat and years: consistency and lifestyle changes are key
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    lift heavy and avoid machines - check your ego and fear at the door, heavy barbell movements have been my key to reshaping my body and just becoming functionally stronger in regular life

And it makes you feel awesome too :) Love the endorphins after lifting.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Three words: No Half Measures.
  • metulchik
    metulchik Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I find it really helpful to pre-log my meals for the day so I have an idea of where my calorie count will be at the end of the day and I can exercise accordingly. I also find that planning ahead on what I will eat for the day holds me more accountable in regards to not snacking.
  • RockingGranny
    RockingGranny Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    5 things:

Portion Control
    Moderation
    Substitution
    Healthy eating
    Exercise

*Exercise

I exercise for 60 minutes 5-6 days a week. But even just 30 minutes a day 3 days a week can give results!

*Portion Control
    Yes, it seems like a no brainer, but you'd be shocked about the real, true sizes of portions. Do your research!! Learn proper amounts and portions and stick to them. Allow time for your body to adjust to these new changes.

*Moderation
    It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. So there are going to be those times when you do want that burger, or those fries, or that bowl of ice cream. It's okay! Just moderate how often you have your guilty pleasures and of course, your portion control. Instead of 3 scoops of ice cream, try 1 scoop and toss in some mixed berries! The only thing I gave up 100% was Soda. I gave it up almost 2 years ago and I don't even miss it!! My guilty pleasure is chocolate, and I will never give that up!

*Substitution
    There are healthier subs for those much loved foods! I still have that scoop of ice cream from time to time, but most the time I will sub for some yogurt with mixed berries. Instead of chips, I have fallen in love with Kale chips. They are so easy to prepare and so healthy. Air-popped popcorn does the trick too. It's all about experimenting. You'd be surprised what you can replace something unhealthy with something healthy!

This .... plus, buy a food scale and use it. For me, making the time to cook my meals with as many fresh ingredients as possible, then packing them in single servings makes all the difference in the world. If a healthy option is readily available, I am less likely to grab something unhealthy. Also, if the serving size is already pre-determined, I am less likely to overeat. Double score!!
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    My tip is to take all the advice you receive with a grain of rice - On MFP especially, everyone has their own opinions and they all love to shout about them and bash other peoples' opinions. So just make sure you do your own research on everything and form your own opinion (even if it happens to be an unpopluar one )

Also, one more thing - Don't ever get down on yourself - you mess up meal? who cares?! You have plenty more to make up for it. Didnt make it to the gym today? Don't sweat it - just promise yourself you'll go tomorrow.
  • des618
    des618 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm FAR from my goal but something that helps me stay on track day to day is logging all my meals in the morning. Once all my meals are in I know what I have left over for snacks and fill those in through out the day as I'm hungry/want them. Good luck in your journey :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!