Running vs Walking

Options
helyg
helyg Posts: 675 Member
This may be a daft question, but here goes...

What is the difference fitness-wise between jogging 3 miles at 5mph and walking 3 miles at 5mph?

Replies

• ShaneTAMU99
    ShaneTAMU99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say there's not one, but can you actually sustain a 5 mph walk for 3 miles?
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This was in the news a few days ago.....

"Walking, running produce similar improvements in heart health"

http://www.healio.com/cardiology/chd-prevention/news/online/{D2A46213-3F66-4FBE-BE11-D66B4D31526A}/Walking-running-produce-similar-improvements-in-heart-health
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure but I think I have heard you will burn more with the motion of running. More of your body/muscles are involved than if you were just walking. I'm a suuuuuuuuper slow jogger (anyone could walk right beside me) but it is much more of a workout than if I were to just walk that same speed.
  • helyg
    Options
    I'm gonna say there's not one, but can you actually sustain a 5 mph walk for 3 miles?

Yes I can.
  • helyg
    Options

Thank you, a very interesting article to consider.
  • millkins
    millkins Posts: 4
    Options
    That's a really interesting question to pose. I'd agree that running/jogging would as you're using more muscles to allow your body to leave the ground and gravity works against you more than it would if at least one foot was on the ground.
  • helyg
    Options
    I can't say for sure but I think I have heard you will burn more with the motion of running. More of your body/muscles are involved than if you were just walking. I'm a suuuuuuuuper slow jogger (anyone could walk right beside me) but it is much more of a workout than if I were to just walk that same speed.

It is the difference in motion that I am wondering about. Obviously when I walk at 5mph my arms are swinging and my whole body is involved in the action, but I know when I run I pick my feet up higher.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    MFP and other sites severly overestimate calories burned for exercising. A 150 pound person expends an average of 100 calories per mile whether they are running or walking. Since I am 242, I did the math and it comes out to about 150 calories per mile. As this article points out, as long as the energy expenditure is the same, the health cardiovascular health benefits are also. Keep in mind, however, that running will get it done more quickly, but also stresses the skeleton and muscles more.

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/walking-health-great-running-will-get-you-there-quicker
  • helyg
    Options
    That's a really interesting question to pose. I'd agree that running/jogging would as you're using more muscles to allow your body to leave the ground and gravity works against you more than it would if at least one foot was on the ground.

That is what I'm thinking... But in terms of health and fitness, if a person finds it easier to sustain walking at 5mph than running at 5mph, is it better to walk and do it for longer/further?
  • helyg
    Options
    MFP and other sites severly overestimate calories burned for exercising. A 150 pound person expends an average of 100 calories per mile whether they are running or walking. Since I am 242, I did the math and it comes out to about 150 calories per mile. As this article points out, as long as the energy expenditure is the same, the health cardiovascular health benefits are also. Keep in mind, however, that running will get it done more quickly, but also stresses the skeleton and muscles more.

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/walking-health-great-running-will-get-you-there-quicker

Another interesting article, thanks. But your 100 calories per mile estimate is actually higher than the one my running app gives me! It estimated my 3 mile run this morning as having burned 244 calories. I weigh 160lbs.
  • jcmartin0313
    Options
    Unless you go and get your metablism actually measured during exercise through what is call V02 Max testing, any app or what i told you is an estimate. The number of calories burned during exercise will vary from person to person. Many apps and HRM use a formula to as accurately as possible estimate your burn, but they are all still estimates. Some researchers scoff at the 100 calories per mile regardless of running or walking, but in doing my own research I chose to use said estimate.
  • jcmartin0313
    Options
    "There is also a level at which walking burns more calories per mile than running. But, at speeds of 5 MPH or faster, running will burn more calories per mile than walking."

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/running-versus-walking.html
  • CoopGrain
    Options
    I agree Speed Walking or Running you will burn more. I run i know. I feel like i benfit more.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    None. A mile is a mile is a mile.
    As long as there is some effort being put into it.
    Any study I have read or heard about says walking or running a mile uses 'about' 100 calories.
    I haven't figured out why running equals. I keep thinking all that heavy breathing and chest heaving
    ought to be burning more, but apparently not.
    Lots of this info on Google. From 'real' Universities and Medical facilities. Kinesthesiologists.
    Not the diet industry.
  • klmoorman
    klmoorman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that however when i program a treadmill i alway burn more running. Another thing about running is that it is much better for your heart than walking the same distance and after you are done running your body will continue to burn calories after you are done. I would rather take 20 minutes to run a few miles than 40 or 50 to walk them. Extra time for strength training!
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You expend more energy running than walking mainly becasue your are having to make bigger movements. I know when I run rather than walk I hurt alot more and I can feel the the muscles working harder in less time. I can walk at 4.5 mph and for me thats almost a slow jog, anything faster and i'm jogging. With that being said I dont like running but i know running will get me there and done faster
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    get a body media core armband, it will show you how much your burning when doing the walking 5mph or the running/jogging. thats why I <3 mine as it helped me see what works better for my body!
  • chezz
    chezz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i think if you walk or run least you are getting some kind of exercise and not being a couch potato everyone is different i like to walk (power walk} but would not knock a runner neither just not my cup of tea
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you have a Heart Rate Monitor, wear it while your walking 5mph, then wear it while your running 5mph.If your heart rate is higher than your burning more. I do think that you burn a little more while your running. I think that the bouncing off the ground requires a little more effort. I'm just impressed that you can walk 5 mph. You must be TALL!!
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I like to incoorperate both, as the intervals really get your heart pumping. I typically will run for 2 mins and then walk for 1-2 mins, it's kinda simliar to high intensity interval training and I burn mega calories do this as compared to when I only walk. I use a heart rate monitor. Just my opinion and what works for me!