What kind of exercise is moving rocks?

Options
I need help with tracking this!! I am making a front walkway with very heavy (25lb-350lb) rocks from our property. How would you categorize this for tracking exercise? I am working up a sweat and sore all over, especially in my forearms. This is why people with enough money pay other people to do this kind of thing!
Thanks for your advice!!

Replies

• madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    uhmmm...You are hand lifting a 350 pound rock???? :noway: I am a landscaper and lift heavy things like trees, rockery, etc...I wear a HRM when doing really heavy stuff and within an hour can burn over 600 calories. In my exercise log, I create my own custom exercise to track under cardio...
  • feelin31
    feelin31 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Madrose ~ I have a lot of respect for you actually doing this for a living! It is tough work!
    Yes to the really big rocks, but not really lifting ~ more like manipulating with a dolly and a crow bar. We do a lot of lifting onto the edge an flipping them over, then moving them again to level them out. My kids are helping. I don't think I could actually lift 350 lbs. I just didn't know how to track it. My husband also drags them with the tractor from the other parts of our property to get them closer to the walkway.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I just know Ithat is what I do, lol, I'm the guy other ppl pay to move those big heavy things and I luvvv it!!! :)
  • feelin31
    feelin31 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    This was spring break for the kids so we got a lot of the 50 ft walkway build. It is about 4-5 ft wide and we completed about four 8ft sections with a 6" step between each. YEAH! I am exhausted! I didn't really do any other work-out but this.

Hbazzell, Thanks for the tip on the site. It gives a pretty general idea of calorie burn.

Brotherbill ~ hats off! This is tough work!!