recommend calories sooo high??

Options
Does anyone else feel like the recommend calories are to high? (From what is recommend by weight) ... or has eating to little been my problem?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    High? Most of the time what MFP recommends is very low (like 1200, 1380...)
    I'm eating 1700 now.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Mine seemed high when I first started, but it was b/c I was so used to 1000-1200 being pounded into my head to lose weight that that 1500-1700 I started on seemed unreal.
  • kristitattoo
    Options
    Yes, mine is saying 1700 or so.. but I honestly eat between 600-1000... I lost 40 in 8 weeks, but that was mainly pregnancy water weight... that came off after baby.. but the weight loss has stalled
  • lisamilakovich
    lisamilakovich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The number it gave me was 1200, and I have been doing pretty well with it, have lost about 7 lbs in 2 weeks :-)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power, read through this stuff and you will understand the Science that works.

Here is good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • keciafiori
    Options
    I think they are a bit too low actually.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I thought it was too low.

But, you could always change it via settings
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Yes, mine is saying 1700 or so.. but I honestly eat between 600-1000... I lost 40 in 8 weeks, but that was mainly pregnancy water weight... that came off after baby.. but the weight loss has stalled

That is way too low. You definitely need to increase.
  • kristitattoo
    Options
    II eat mainly raw veggies and whole grains... I guess I'm worried I'd have to eat massive amounts of raw veggies to reach 1700.... ?
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    absolutley not , MFP (this is much open to being debated) tends to reccomend the old saw of 1200 k for losing 2lbs a week , which doesnt take into account many things...
  • kristitattoo
    Options
    I rechecked.. it says 1920. I've pretty much gone vegan 5 weeks ago.. whole grains.. raw veggies.. no dairy only almond and soy milk. I maybe have a bite of meat once a month...
  • kristitattoo
    Options
    Wow!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're eating between 600 and 1000? That is NOT enough. For any adult.

To be blunt, you're setting yourself up to gain it all back, at the least. As a young mother of 3, you're NOT eating enough. Period. You've likely stalled because you're starving yourself. Please tell me you're not also breast feeding?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    II eat mainly raw veggies and whole grains... I guess I'm worried I'd have to eat massive amounts of raw veggies to reach 1700.... ?
    Are you vegan? Avocado, nuts, nut butters, olive (or other) oils can easily add a few hundred calories to your day. And if you're not vegan, eggs and dairy are great sources.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

If you're nursing your baby that's WAY too low. You need to eat enough for both of you and your weight should be secondary
  • bjreetz08
    Options
    Myfitnesspal recommended some crazy high number for me too. but you can change it to whatever you want. i moved it down to 1300 then down again to 1200
  • changejen2013
    Options
    My recommended daily caloric intake is 1200. Seems to be doing well for me. I eat probably 1500-1800 calories every day but I work out then eat back my exercise calories.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    MFP recommended 1400 cals a day for me. I eat 1500-2200 a day (net) and am losing weight easily.
    MFP, when I finish my diary for the day if I eat on the lower end of the cals I eat (between 1500-1800) it thinks I will lose maybe a pound in 5 weeks (when I generally lose around a pound a week), and if I eat on the higher side (1800-2200) it thinks I will gain weight! Certainly ain't gaining weight!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power, read through this stuff and you will understand the Science that works.

Here is good info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
    I've had my best success eating according to the info in the second thread linked there. ^^

I lost the last stubborn 10lbs, but more importantly, quite a bit of fat and many inches while eating 1800+ cals a day. MFP had me much lower.

Currently set at 1950 a day and still losing inches. :drinker: Body is well fueled for workouts and daily life, and I feel fantastic.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The MFP number is ok - I have it set to lose a pound a week and I do average that, and I don't eat back my exercise cals. But when I look at the TDEE/BMR cals they're way too high for me.