FEELING DEFEATED. NEED TO BE UPLIFTED!

Options
LET ME START BY SAYING THAT IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE/CONSTRUCTIVE TO SAY PLEASE JUST DON'T BOTHER SAYING ANYTHING AT ALL.

SO I STARTED TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT IN JANUARY 2012. I STARTED AT 124 AND HIT A PLATEAU AROUND 215-218. I JOINED MFP AND I'M NOW DOWN TO 200. HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I'M DOWN 24 POUNDS, BUT TRYING TO LOSE 50 AND I HAVE BEEN AT THE 24TH POUND SINCE ABOUT 3/19. SINCE I LOST 9 POUNDS IN MY FIRST MONTH HERE THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING. I AM ONE POUND FROM BEING OUT OF THE 200'S (WHICH I HAVEN'T BEEN FOR YEARS) AND 199 IS ALSO MY HALFWAY TO 50 LBS MARK. SEEING THAT SAME NUMBER STARE AT ME ON THE SCALE (SOMETIMES PLUS 2 OR 3) IS JUST VERY DISHEARTENING. IT'S MESSING WITH MY MOTIVATION TO WORK OUT AND EVERYTHING. I DON'T FEEL AS DRIVEN ANYMORE. I WANT TO REALLY REDEDICATE MYSELF TO MY GOALS, BUT I DON'T HAVE THE MOTIVATION WITHIN MYSELF RIGHT NOW AND I REALLY NEED TO BE UPLIFTED.

Replies

• getfitsg
    getfitsg Posts: 1
    Options
    Dont give up!! What you have been doing has been working. You have lost 24 lbs, and more will come off. I have been there too-at a plateau (seems like every 20 lbs for me) but if you keep with it, you will start to lose again. It will happen
  • here2bme
    here2bme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! EVERYONE hits plateaus. What works for me is changing my routine. I love videos so when I get stuck or just bored I find new ones to do. I mostly do sparkpeople, fitness blender, and popsugar videos. You deserve to get fit and healthy! Be nice to yourself and keep on keeping on! Remember, muscle weighs more than fat so I would also suggest taking measurements!
  • LaurelM17
    Options
    You can do it! You already did! Sending you live and light as you soldier on
  • fwilson1031
    Options
    You're going to lose weight faster in the very beginning... You are down 24lb since January?! That alone is something to be proud of. I remember how difficult it was for me to break that 200lb mark. It sucked! I'd get down to 199, then 200, then 198 then 201... It's very frustrating. Your weight loss is prob just starting to even out. You've lost more than 1lb a week so far... just keep your head up! Keep going! Every time you look at that scale and see it at 200 keep reminding yourself of how badly you want it. Tell yourself this is the week and do everything in your power to make it happen! Drink more water! Add a couple of walks or whatever it is you do for exercise... You will get there!
    BTW, feel free to add me, we started at almost the same weight! :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I had to go and check my reports on here.

In the last 30 days, I have lost one pound. In the last 3 months, I have lost 5 pounds. I haven't lost my motivation because I KNOW I will lose when my body is ready. I sure am ready to get to that 50 pounds lost mark, but I cant make my body lose, I have to be patient.

You say in your profile you are very motivated. So hang in there....it will happen. You are doing great so far! Its taken me 10 months to lose the 49 pounds I have. I am in no hurry. You needn't be either. It will happen. :)
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You're going to lose weight faster in the very beginning... You are down 24lb since January?! That alone is something to be proud of. I remember how difficult it was for me to break that 200lb mark. It sucked! I'd get down to 199, then 200, then 198 then 201... It's very frustrating. Your weight loss is prob just starting to even out. You've lost more than 1lb a week so far... just keep your head up! Keep going! Every time you look at that scale and see it at 200 keep reminding yourself of how badly you want it. Tell yourself this is the week and do everything in your power to make it happen! Drink more water! Add a couple of walks or whatever it is you do for exercise... You will get there!
    BTW, feel free to add me, we started at almost the same weight! :)

January 2012
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    It's tough when you hit a plateau, especially when you're around the corner from 199! Guess your body loves that extra pound so much it just doesn't want to give it up, at least that's how I felt at times. But you're the owner of that body and persistence and patience (not so easy) will show it who's boss!!! Anyway, I don't know what your exercise routine is but maybe switch it up a bit and do something a little different. Or alternate days for the kinds you do. The only thing you know for sure is if you give up or give in...things will not change. So hang in there and wishing you luck on taking back your power! (By the way, I had an 8 month plateau until I added some different "moves" to my exercise routine. I figured my body was set at that weight, but I began to drop more weight as I put more variety into my exercise.) :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    dont give up i have been there too. i am there now but that is what this site is all about being there for each other. i have a bad sciatica and wasnt able to walk or exercise and gained about ten lbs back since last summer. i too am upset. it will happen for you just keep on trying and remember will power is half the battle. i keep telling myself the same thing. hope you are feeling better since the post.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    24 pounds??? you are doing fine!!!! You might be stalled for several reasons.. you may be eating too little ( trust me on this.. happened to me)...don beat yourself up..up your exercise and calories.. I had to do that and it kick started me back into losing after almost six weeks of nothing.. I stalled so bad I got a new battery for the scale..just in case it was the battery..LOL hang in there!!!
  • badmojo108
    Options
    Re-examine your goals.

Unless you are a boxer or wrestler, I'll bet your real goal isn't to be a certain weight, I'll bet what you really want is to be healthier and look better. Just being a certain weight doesn't determine that. I am also sure that you look and feel better now than when you started, so really on all counts you are heading in the right direction and you'll will get to where you want to be as long as you keep at it.

If your take the perspective that your goal is simply be healthier, then every day you eat well is a success, every time you go to the gym you are succeeding. If you ate well and worked out hard this week then the week is a win. If the scale happens to move down, great! If it didn't it doesn't matter because as long as you are eating better and working out more you are guaranteed to be healthier regardless of what the scale says and healthier = sexier.

Sounds like you are doing everything right, keep going and eventually the scale will catch up to all the work you are doing. Weight tends to come off in large chunks for me I have often gone 2-3 weeks doing everything right for no loss, but eventually I'll get a massive drop in weight where all the work from the last few weeks get reflected on the scale.